Pokémon Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire: OR/AS Challenge Mode ROMhack!

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Dio Vento, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    If i was counting on all my players to use PKSM, I wouldn't bother making competitive hold items available or changing learn levels for moves. If you want a challenging Lv100 repeatable area, that's what the Elite Four rematches and Title Defense are for.

Heitor101 and Soulsilve2010 like this.

2. EatsCookies

EatsCookies Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks, I had no idea Title Defense was a thing. Will you buff it? Awesome!

3. Heitor101

Heitor101 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2017
    United States
    Is it possible to get all starters (from Kanto to Alola) on your Sun/Moon hacks?

4. Heitor101

Heitor101 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2017
    United States
    How's the progress of the hack?

5. eneruku

eneruku Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    United States
    His signature says he expects to release it this Sunday, February 26th, so barring anything unforeseen, I'd say it's done and being prepped.

6. SahierKHLover

SahierKHLover GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Guess
    another 2 days till dio hack I liked star sapphire ( I repeatedly did nuzlockes and lost here and there on my 5th attempt and just passed wattson (I always died here) wish me luck :) )

7. Heitor101

Heitor101 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2017
    United States
    Okay, thanks for the help, i will wait till tomorrow!

8. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Fudge, I decided to take a look at a stock 1.4 Sapphire code.bin and your modified one to see if I could replicate what you did for Sun and Moon and there's SOOO many changes. I thought it was just going to be one or two instructions changed to NOP or a few branches to the end of the code.bin, no way I expected this many changes. Now I see why you never posted a tutorial on how to make dummy updates and why you decided to not make one for Sun and Moon.

9. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    in OR/AS, shop changes are stored in code.bin. Lmao.

10. AnalogMan

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    I was referring to the 1.4 dummy update. You mentioned it was a change to the code.bin that made it load nothing and become a dummy update. I was only expecting a handful of changes I could reverse but that's not the case.

11. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Oh, I just replaced it with RRSS's code.bin. This meant that it kept the code.bin changes necessary to run RRSS but also lost the ability to actually point at files to replace. Like I said, that update was poorly put together.

12. AnalogMan

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Ah, thanks for the insight! Seems this won't work with Sun and Moon. I tried decrypting the v1.1 update, replacing the code.bin in the update with the one from Nova Sun and Umbra Moon and then rebuilding it but it crashes when trying to load. When decrypting I tried both options of leaving the code.bin compressed and decompressing it to no avail. Thanks for all the hints and tips along the way, I appreciate it.

13. alon12131415

alon12131415 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2016
    Iceland
    pokemon beyond level 10 before the first gym wont obey me, this is very annoying

14. Sakiisa

Sakiisa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2016
    Malaysia
    Soudns like different trainer ID. You brought them in?

15. BluPhoenix

BluPhoenix Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    After all this time playing this hack I noticed a bug with a pokemon ability. Hatching a Piplup, it gets the Blaze ability instead of Torrent. I don't know if its just me or if it happened with someone else.

16. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    -SNIP-

Don't mind me, I thought this was about NS/UM.

Last edited by Dio Vento, Mar 13, 2017
  17. alon12131415

alon12131415 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2016
    Iceland
    what exacly are the features lost when updating omega ruby?

18. amgupt01

amgupt01 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Is it possible to install this under OnionFS or latest Luma Nightly (which added support for LayeredFS) with a fully updated copy of the retail game?

My thinking is to use:
    • code.bin file from CIA Tools/exefs directory
    • ignore banner.bin/icon.bin from CIA Tools/exefs directory, and
    • copy the romfs folder (overwriting with legit/leveled/679 contents)
    Is there any reason that shouldn't work?

EDIT: tried it on a whim, and it seems to boot into the modified Star Sapphire launch screen, but I haven't experimented beyond that just yet.

Would I also want to take the code.bin from the online patched CIA and make a luma/titles/XXX directory to have Luma redirect to the modified code.bin for the update?

Last edited by amgupt01, Apr 14, 2017
  19. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    OnionFS should work, I'm not sure if it requires you to use a patched romfs file or you can use a folder structure like SaltySD on Sun/Moon.
    Either way, do not use the code.bin from the "online" CIA. The one from CIA Tools/exefs should work fine.

amgupt01 likes this.
  20. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Updated the OP with new downloads for drag and drop installation on CFW 3DS systems. Also released 2.2 of the hack, which fixes the Slowpoke ability bug.

Soulsilve2010 and Uumas like this.