ROM Hack Pokémon Hack Screening Thread

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fucking finally. I really hope this thread will reduce the so-called "hack" threads.
I mean, sure. Hacks like "catch all Pokemon" are nice, but unless a hack got custom maps or even a new region (like many GBA Pokemon hacks), it's not much worth it imo. Ok, there are hacks like Pokemon Bloody Diamond/Platinum, which change more than just the wild Pokemon, but I bet I'm not the only one bored of "catch all Pokemon" hacks or sprite changes or hell, one hack I've seen a couple weeks ago, called "Lyra hack" or something, where the female character in HG/SS got replaced by the female character from Crystal. Sorry, but I don't see the freaking point of that "hack".
Another big plus point of this thread is, that the wannabe-hacks don't take up all the space, pushing actual, interesting hacks and/or translation projects to page 2+.
Just this week there were like 2 or 3 hacks for Gen 4 games (Diamond and HG/SS) with JUST change wild Pokemon and a ridiculous "progress" of 35% or some shit like that. Why do people keep making those "hacks" when there already are 2830758345743895789768975 fucking lame hacks like that already...
[/rant]

Reactions: 5 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The idea behind this thread is to have would-be Pokemon hackers come up with a polished patch (or at least some form of a viable project) in this thread before they even post their own topic, so we don't have to go locking threads that have been stagnant without progress for so long.

By the time a Pokemon hack is allowed to have its own topic, it will already have a playable patch. So even if the OP decides not to update the patch anymore, it will be able to stand on its own as a "completed" project.
The question is, what constitutes a "viable" project? Or a "playable patch"? If someone announces their grand ambition of creating the greatest Pokemon hack known to man, and provides a patch in which a single building has some rearranged tiles, is that acceptable? Or what if the total sum is that they changed the appearance rate in a few areas? Who is going to vet these projects? I assume you aren't, seeing as you've made it clear you're not a fan of the series, and thus probably wouldn't actually be able to discern changes from the source material.
To me, a complete patch should at the very least constitute one re-designed city. To say it shortly, there should be "stuff" that you can "do" that wasn't available in the original game, it should be something new and exciting. If someone changes the floor tiles and adds a new Pokemon, it's just not good enough. This is something you "feel" rather than list - you're supposed to boot the game and think "Hey, that's different. I like/hate that!".

Reactions: 2 people

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The question is, what constitutes a "viable" project? Or a "playable patch"? If someone announces their grand ambition of creating the greatest Pokemon hack known to man, and provides a patch in which a single building has some rearranged tiles, is that acceptable? Or what if the total sum is that they changed the appearance rate in a few areas? Who is going to vet these projects? I assume you aren't, seeing as you've made it clear you're not a fan of the series, and thus probably wouldn't actually be able to discern changes from the source material.
I'm going to require that every hack project list exactly what changes have been made to the original game, like a changelog of sorts. I'll add that to the first post in the rules.

Of course, if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Still wondering what caused the massive swarm of "uber Pokemon haxxs".... :unsure:
Everybody's waiting for the EUR/US release of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, obviously. That, and it's Pokemon - it's like Contra and Castlevania in the NES days, everybody and their dog wants to hack it for some reason.

Reactions: 2 people

Flintiex

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank goodness these rules have been created :D What about the uncompleted hacks that are on the forum right now, such as 'Pokemon Faza Version' and 'Pokemon Mix Jewels'? Also, i'm in the process of creating a hack, but won't be posting it until it's fully completed. When I do decide to post, do I just post what would have been 'The front page' on this topic (As a regular reply) then ask for it to be approved?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to require that every hack project list exactly what changes have been made to the original game, like a changelog of sorts. I'll add that to the first post in the rules.
You should document in some fashion what the minimum would be to become considered for a thread. There's always the other option to just "go by ear", but I feel that ambiguity would cause confusion and unnecessary frustration for people being rejected while trying to publish their "hacks".

Stardustmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Mix Jewels

I have changed the starter pokemon, intro pokemon and the pokemon all over the region.
I am looking for spriters and scripters which i can't do myself.
lol.png
lol.png

Glitches:
the rivals sprite disappears a lot and i will fix this for the future patches.

Pokemon: 100%
Sprites: 30%
Script: 60%
Overall: 70%

Patch v1
http://www.mediafire...qjpcgaaw6gkpxlh
xdelta and ui:
http://www.mediafire...iilovqpqar91t9v
http://www.mediafire...git24v7l1knidi1

pokemon hacker f

Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Pokemon Faze Version

PokemonLogo.gif

Pokemon faze version
My Hack is About Sinnoh its a Hack of black Version
Starter:Turtwig, Piplup, Chimchar
Trainer: they all have sinnoh pokemon only some have like crobat, roselia,magikarp and others
wild Pokemon: sinnoh

screen shot: more coming soon
if they are bugs tell me and i need some help with sprite and music loop

Pokemonblack_44_11916.png
PokemonFazeversion_47_11926.png

Pokemonblack_00_14124.png
PokemonFazeversion_13_15538.png

progress:
music:0%
trainer:80%
wild Pokemon:70%
sprite:??? Drapion is helping me with that
Gym leader:60%
Over all progress:70%

Elite 4
Shantual:Grass
Caitlin:Water
Grimsley:Fire
Marshual:Fighting
Alder:All Type

Evolution Chart
Kadabra>Alakazam=25
Machoke>Machamp=40
Graveler>Golem=40
Haunter>Gengar=40
Slowbro>Slowking=50
Poliwhirl>Politoad=35
Onix>Stelix=30
Rhydon>Rhyperior=55
Sedra>Kingdra=42
Scyther>Scizor=32
Electabuzz>Electivire=40
Magmar>Magmortar=40
Porygon>Porygon 2=30
Porygon 2>Porygon-z=40
Duskclops>Dusknoir=50
Clamperl>Huntail=30
Clamperl>Gorebyse=30
Sneasel>Weaville=40
Riolu>Lucario=25
What I have Change In This Hack
1. i've change the hero to Red
2. Change all the trainer Pokemon and made them stronger
3. Change the Elite 4 Type
4. Change The wild Pokemon 95%
5. Change the Gym leader Pokemon and they are higher
6. Change N pokemon He know have a Starter (Piplup)
Credits:
For the sprites: K Drapion
For the text: Dubstep16
For the wild pokemon and trainer pokemon edit: ME!
For People who inspire me: K Drapion,Flintiex and ME
Download:
Pokemon Faze Version Beta v0.1:http://www.mediafire.../?xkvj61ydlbk1r
Tools Used:
1. Zeros BW Trainer Editor v1.0.3
2. Zero's Starter Editor v1.0.2.1
3. Zeros Wild Pokemon Editor v1.0.9.4
4. BWOE
5. PPTXT
6. PPRE

Reactions: 1 person

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Densetsu if you give me a few days, I'll start TRYING to catalogue all this madness. However, I'm gonna need help on what exactly I have to cover. I hope to God that it doesn't require me to dig through the ENTIRE ROM Hacking forum. Can it be the first like thirty pages...? Or something like that?

Just tell me what I need to do, and then I'll do my best to help out. I'm working two jobs, and taking a summer class, so don't yell at me if it's a bit behind.

Flintiex

Trophies
XP
Country
@PokemonHackerFan It's not Version 1.1! :L You've only edited the main hero's overworld and the wild pokemon on the first route or so, it's more like V0.1..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE