Hacking [PoC] Using a Magnet and a DS flashcart to unbrick a 3DS

MagicKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What the shit. How can a magnet and an old flashcard even do that? I don't understand anything. Please explain.

Because of a "feature" Nintendo introduced in the bootcode of every 2DS/3DS console (until now, at least) which executes a signed (or haxsigned) code from a "special" DSCart and NOT from NAND just after you turn on the device if the lid is closed and you press some keys. This makes possible to have control of the system at the lowest level even before any piece of software from NAND is executed... or if the NAND is bricked.

Alex S

Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!
Trophies
Website
www.erm.wut
XP
Country
United States
Paperweights with actual value! I finally won't have a useless brick anymore (if we get DSTWO support)
Same here and i have multiple dstwo carts AND A DSONE so im hoping i dont have to buy YET ANOTHER card just to unbrick. Even TWLoader supports Dstwo at this point so it shouldnt be too hard hopefully :3

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he is refering to Wiggly, not Apache Thunder.
Oh... I just read the tweet chain (thread?) and looked at Apache's 2 cents...

But the answer still stands as 'no' at this moment.
Later, but not now.
Still incorrect. The question was "Any". The answer is YES; Whichever one is being used in that video is confirmed to work.

Bluespheal

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That is a MCU brick, so most likely it cannot be restored since there is nothing wrong with the NAND in the first place.
Thanks for the info! Good thing I've never bricked a 3DS with that (or bricked at all), still, I wish there was a way to unbrick that, since it's so easy to brick that way if you don't know what you are doing.

Edit: Also, how does 2DS bennefit from this? I don't own one, but from the one my friend has, from what I remember, you have to put it to sleep mannualy with a switch, so... would it be all the same but without using a magnet? or do magnets have some effect on the 2DS?

Last edited by Bluespheal,

ivoyko

Trophies
XP
Country
This must be my lucky day because i have a Ak2i (well sometimes dont detect it but still working) i want try this because i have a bricked 3DS since Palantine CFW time...

Reactions: Evernew

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ivoyko

Trophies
XP
Country
I would try the paper shim trick to get the card to read better. It did wonders to a second-hand AK2i i picked up that had contact issues.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/solving-acekard-contact-issues.231412/

Sound cool but how my old 3DS its bricked with black screen i cant see if works or not lmao. I have a OLD 3DS XL working one but if i insert the Ak2i dont work take it out and insert it back until work.,, finally works but do that in a black screen 3DS its more hard... (idk if i explain myself) Well i should try that method with my working 3DS until i see than Ak2i works at 100% percent of tries... and then use it in the bricked one.

Bluespheal

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Afaik B9S should restore MCU bricks since it skips 3DS's checks even before the system validates the services.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Woah!, then are there any bricks that we can't solve? (except for the obvious I placed my motherboard in the toaster and then stabbed it lololololol)

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wtf
I don't understand the use of thz magnet.
It seems like one of those random fake videos found on Youtube trying to buzz xqd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Real Jdbye yeah those are great too