Hacking [POC] Removing Update Nag on EmuNAND

D

Deleted User

Does the old emunand backup need to be on the same FW version? I have a backup from 9.2, but not for 9.5 which is what my emunand is currently on. I suppose if this wouldn't work, I could simply create a new emunand, and update it to 9.5 with sysupdater, right?
It doesn't have to be on the same firmware.

Reactions: bache

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
This worked perfectly for me on my N3DS' 9.5 EmuNAND. I'm looking forward to more of your helpful EmuNAND tips :).
I didn't bother with cleaning /titles, as I'm not particularly sure when the nag started appearing as it was so long ago. I just replaced import.db, and the nag was gone.

Last edited by bache,

gbatemplker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I have started getting the update nag for the last couple of days.. Is there anything i can do if I do not have an old emunand backup ?

Darktalon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you guys using to mount and edit the decrypted .bins? I've tried a few different programs and nothing works.

Darktalon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! It worked for me, no more nag! I didn't delete any update files though, so will this keep the nag away permanently until the next update from Nintendo?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! Could it be made as a standalone app/cia as Kurt91 suggested:
I wonder if it would be possible to make a .CIA for this. You'd open the app, and there would be two options. One would make a copy of import.db and the other would be for when you get the update nag, and it automatically locates and deletes the update files, as well as swap the import.db file with the copy version.

I only ask for convenience's sake, and that a simple 1-button solution seems much more idiot-proof and you're less likely to get complaints from people who somehow screw things up.

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
@AlbertoSONIC @d0k3 Eh i have get another method to do so but I haven't tested this. -- since my network stucks.
Original Link: tieba.baidu.com/p/4111242400 WARNING: CHINESE
It is said to delete the following files from the NAND:
In dbs: tmp_i.db, tmp_t.db, import.db.
In title: All those having a extension as "ctx". And remove those Newest APP and TMD and CMD if you know this title update has been fetched.
In tmp: title.tik
Actually this can be done in programatic way. However you would have to scan the folders, and also check the file dates.
Well since TMD have what contents related to it, you can make it deleted more safely. It is recommended to force user to backup the target NAND first, if using this.

Last edited by Syphurith,
Reactions: AlbertoSONIC

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@AlbertoSONIC @d0k3 Eh i have get another method to do so but I haven't tested this. -- since my network stucks.
In title: All those having a extension as "ctx". And remove those Newest APP and TMD and CMD if you know this title update has been fetched.
Actually this can be done in programatic way. However you would have to scan the folders, and also check the file dates.
Well since TMD have what contents related to it, you can make it deleted more safely. It is recommended to force user to backup the target NAND first, if using this.
Thanks for the pointer! While that would be pretty convenient, I'm unsure if I will add this. This is just not tested enough, and removing that much stuff from the NAND can have unexpected consequences.

Reactions: Syphurith

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thinking about it, I wonder if there is any way to update-proof a system. In theory, we'd just have to create a write protected dummy file in place of one of those update files. It might block other stuff, though, eShop/CIA installs for example.

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thinking about it, I wonder if there is any way to update-proof a system. In theory, we'd just have to create a write protected dummy file in place of one of those update files. It might block other stuff, though, eShop/CIA installs for example.
It might not work. As what the link tells you, it get contents and place those into the content folder, with their content index as the name.
Also i doubt what if the file creation failed, would it halt?

Last edited by Syphurith, , Reason: Removed: Not Much Sense..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.