Hacking Please help- In a dilema

unnkown95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i have a fat ps3 that is backwards compatible and it runs on 3.01 firmware. I also have an ipod touch 1g that i tried to get to run android on and use psfreedom to jailbreak the ps3 but that didnt work.

So now, i dont know what to do.

If i upgrade to 3.42 and use my ti 84 calculator to jailbreak my ps3 i will lose my other os option. But can you install linux on the ps3 if it is jailbroken if if you arent using a firmware compatible with other os? Also will i ahve to leave my ti 84 calaculaotr connected to the ps3 if i want to use it? What about the jailbreak dongles, if i buy one can i jailbreak 3.01 firmware with that? If so which dongle is the best for under 50$?

Thanks

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3.41 is the jailbreakable one, not 3.42, i got my amazebreak for $7 of dx, and yes you have to have it plugged in each time you turn your ps3 on. and i think many firmwares below 3.41 are also jailbreak compatible. while youre on the otheros topic, what are the advantages of still using linux when you can run unsigned code on 3.41?

unnkown95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok, yeah that would be the plus- but the trade off would be running another os. But i think it might bne worth it. But is there anyway to run linux on a jailborken ps3 on 3.41?

unnkown95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i guess there isnt really much of a point, ok another questiononce i am on 3.41 is there any hack i can do so i can still play on line? And how does this whole ti calculator thing work, do i just need it to boot up the ps3 then can i unplug it or do i need it in there the whole time

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
unnkown95 said:
yeah i guess there isnt really much of a point, ok another questiononce i am on 3.41 is there any hack i can do so i can still play on line? And how does this whole ti calculator thing work, do i just need it to boot up the ps3 then can i unplug it or do i need it in there the whole time

To my(limited)knowledge, you can't go online while using the Jailbreak. For the TI calculator thing you should go here

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
3.01 can be jailbroken too, but I really recommend updating to 3.41, most homebrew apps are made for that version. To update, download the update package from here: http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/Ps3OsRels and perform an offline update from an USB stick.
Remember to verify the crc before installing, that page links to Sony's official update servers, so you want to make sure Sony hasn't replaced it with something that plugs the jailbreak hole. Yes I know, I'm paranoid :>

You just have to have your jailbreak device plugged in when booting the PS3, with the exception of PSJailbreak, which has some extra code to cause a kernel panic if plugged out. Probably to force the customers to buy another PSJB if they got more than one PS3.

You can run Linux on a jailbroken PS3 with 3.41, google for AsbestOS.

As of now there's no way of playing online with a jailbroken PS3, for the simple reason that you can't jailbreak the latest firmware. There's been a few hacks to allow logging onto PSN with 3.41 before, but Sony's disabled those quite fast. If you jailbreak it you should regard it as offline only. But then again, it just might be cheaper to jailbreak your current PS3 and get a new one to play online, than buying all those games whose online parts you're not interested in
smile.gif

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
unnkown95 said:
wow thanks for that, this will be great help to me, one thing what do you mean by verifying the crc?

I won't go into the technical details, but what you do is basically to run the values of all the bytes in a file trough an algorithm that gives you a checksum. If the file is altered, the checksum will change. In this case it's a good way to check if the update file is the original one that works with jailbreaking, or if it's been altered. The chance that two different files gives the same checksum is absolutely minimal, it just won't happen.

Download the update file from the page I linked in my last post, then get a MD5 checksum generator (this should help: http://www.google.fi/#hl=fi&biw=1280&a...51afa6d09e5766), install it, and run the update file through it. If the MD5 checksum you get matches this: e07d2b84c9e9691c261b73e5f1aada20 you're good to go with the firmware update
smile.gif

unnkown95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i ahve another question i just ordered an amaze jailbreak dongle, will it work on 3.01 firmware? or only 3.41

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Blurp.