Please consider not using black or very dark text in USN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp presently features two themes- you can select them down the bottom left of the page, via http://gbatemp.net/misc/style?redirect=/ or in http://gbatemp.net/account/preferences
One is a light theme and the other is a dark theme (far nicer for those that do not wish to get a suntan from their daily foruming). Naturally the colours are set to change with each but you can override the theme colours in your posts using the markup.

However if you select dark colors or black, doubly so when you put them in a quote (#333333 is the colour in the quote below), it causes them to be very hard to read or even totally invisible to users of the dark theme. Do not worry too much about it as staff will usually fix it should it be troubling but as you probably take extra steps to change colours, fonts, sizes and such like it is hopefully not a burden.

This text is invisible if you select the dark theme

Theoretically the same could apply to users of the dark theme posting in the light one but we have not encountered that thus far.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Or just highlight the parts you wanna read. That's how I do spoilers in forums that don't support spoiler tags, I color 'em the same as the background color. It hides them, but highlighting the post reveals the text.

Congratulations! You found a hidden text!

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
don't use the dark theme than = SOLVED
*Then (Also, that's actually incorrect, it should be "Then don't use the dark theme")

Anyway,
Or just highlight the parts you wanna read. That's how I do spoilers in forums that don't support spoiler tags, I color 'em the same as the background color. It hides them, but highlighting the post reveals the text.

Congratulations! You found a hidden text!
Please, enlighten me as to why the users who enjoy the dark theme should be forced to highlight text inside a quote.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
*Then (Also, that's actually incorrect, it should be "Then don't use the dark theme")

Anyway,

Please, enlighten me as to why the users who enjoy the dark theme should be forced to highlight text inside a quote.
Because I post in whatever color I choose, just as dark theme users wanna use a dark theme. It's nice of people to ask that people refrain from using dark colors, but it goes both ways too, to ask dark theme users to just highlight posts they are having difficulty reading because of the font colors.

Tit for tat. Granted, I'm not in the habit of changing font colors here, which I usually did in many other forums before here. I mainly use this color.

Reactions: Alexrose

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because I post in whatever color I choose, just as dark theme users wanna use a dark theme. It's nice of people to ask that people refrain from using dark colors, but it goes both ways too, to ask dark theme users to just highlight posts they are having difficulty reading because of the font colors.

Tit for tat. Granted, I'm not in the habit of changing font colors here, which I usually did in many other forums before here. I mainly use this color.
You could always not use a custom color at all for text you want to be black, in which case it will appear black to people using the normal theme and white-ish to people using the dark theme. Mostly the issue is people using #000000 or something similar for pretty much no reason whatsoever.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I find the opposite. Light text on a dark screen sends my eyes wappy - I look away from the screen and see lines everywhere. Maybe it's because I always sit in a dark room?

Black background and white text?
Yes That's indeed annoying, I have the same effect.

However the 'temp's Dark theme is dark greyish and the font colour is light greyish.
It's way softer for the eyes.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just switched. Gotta say that this forum style is nicer (better contrast and such). :)

I'm kind of curious, though...shouldn't it be mentioned that this goes the other way around as well?

This white text is just invisible in regular temp style, but clearly visible in DARK Tempstyle

EDIT: my bad...hadn't noticed it was already mentioned in the OP. :shy:

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
You could always not use a custom color at all for text you want to be black, in which case it will appear black to people using the normal theme and white-ish to people using the dark theme. Mostly the issue is people using #000000 or something similar for pretty much no reason whatsoever.
It's actually a non-issue for me, because I rarely change font colors, and rarer even to choose black, as I mentioned in my previous post (which I edited to reflect that). And it's not like the things I say are super important anyways. I just use the default color.

But if for whatever reason somebody uses a font color that makes it hard for somebody else to read it, then it goes without saying: do something about it, or deal with it as it is.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The reason most people are using black text is likely due to the rich text editor.
When you copy text from another site and paste it in the editor, it'll keep all the formatting.
So if the original site uses a dark font, it'll be dark when pasted as well.
Since most people likely use the light theme, they won't even notice.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I just switched. Gotta say that this forum style is nicer (better contrast and such). :)

I'm kind of curious, though...shouldn't it be mentioned that this goes the other way around as well?

EDIT: my bad...hadn't noticed it was already mentioned in the OP. :shy:
I can read that perfectly in the standard theme. :rolleyes:

However I guess you guys can't read this.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
and the other is a dark theme (far nicer for those that do not wish to get a suntan from their daily foruming). Naturally the colours are set to change with each but you can override the theme colours in your posts using the markup.
I didn't know that, I've been suffering from some vision discomfort and since gbatemp was hacked they've been using this really clear theme that did not help at all. Already switched to the dark theme. Thanks! B-)

EDIT:

I can read that perfectly in the standard theme. :rolleyes:

However I guess you guys can't read this.

I can read this fine using dark theme, the dark grey font is the problem, especially when you put the dark text inside a quote

I can barely read this in dark theme...

I can't read this in dark theme, it's invisible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu