OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playstation-vue-tv-service.jpg
Pictured: Bojangles and the nerd squad
Not willing to let Xbox be the only media box to allow for cable integration of sorts, Sony is stepping in with their newly announced "Playstation Vue". Time Warner, Comcast, and Direct Tv are losing more and more viewers a day thanks to slick online cable free alternatives like the ever popular Netfilx and Hulu Plus. PS Vue will be at almost direct odds with Hulu Plus, beating showtimes by a whole 24 hours before H+ gets new episodes of brand newly aired shows.

In case you are skeptical about enough content to make PlayStation Vue worth it, over 70 networks are ready to launch with the initial service, including Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS, Discovery, Fox and NBC. However, CBS, ESPN, and AMC have yet to strike deals. And these, by far, are not what Vue is limited to. Now, whether or not there will actually be anything to watch, thats up to you.

PS Vue will have a 3 day cloud viewing window for shows you might have missed, as well as keeping your HDD free of show and movie data.

The Vue will be available in Beta form later this month for owners in the New York area, as well as rumored Chicago and San Francisco. Commercially, PS Vue will be rolled out next year in early 2015. Pricing will be set against existing cable providers, which might come as a little bit of a bummer to us, but the upside is at least interesting. Cable providers generally sign contracts to monopolize geological areas with service, which is why you might only have Comcast around your area, and other only have Time Warner. Vue ousts that out entirely allowing for friendlier ways to get to content. There are no contracts, just a sub fee, no special box (well a ps4 or ps3 I suppose, and in the future, iPad), and no pesky cable company digging up your yard to run a line to your living room set box.

:arrow: Source : Prolygron

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We actually had a similar system here in Finland a few years back. We could watch all shows 2 weeks backwards without limit and keep saved shows forever. Sadly the local MPAA/RIAA got a fit about it and now it's highly limited with zero backwards recording and expiration dates for recordings. (note: Now I'm paying Netflix for a similar service instead of a local one..).

Hopefully this is priced competitively without (too many) limitations to different regions for content.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This show tries to be nerdy but fails to do so and the 'jokes' are rarely ever funny, roughly 2/10 actually are.

Community was that but it's been canned, although Yahoo's bringing it back digitally so not all's been lost.
Either way, that's not the point.

I dont think I watch enough TV to make this worth my time, but with an install base of closing 15 million units, this could play out as the next PS2/DVD playing thing. Now, that might be wishful thinking, or maybe just foolhardy on my part. But Im willing to dream. I like that someone is trying something new, breaking up the ""monopoly"" that cable companies have on certain areas.

I am just a little concerned about what happens when people start cutting their literal cable cables. Where do we get internet then? Satellite is too slow ping wise to really matter multiplayer wise.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013
D

Deleted_171835

I watch a lot of TV but like Tom said, everything that's not Netflix is pirated so this is kinda useless for me.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm I wonder if it will come to playstation TV, you would think so just by the name of the device, but who knows

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...