PlayStation VR - $399 Oct 2016

nxbTjDd.jpg

Sony have just announced the long awaited launch details for PlayStation VR at a dedicated press event at GDC 2016.

The headset will go on sale in October 2016 in a standalone package for a RRP of...
  • $399 USD
  • €399 EUR
  • $549 CAD
  • £349 GBP
The package will not include the PlayStation 4 Camera or Move controllers which may be required for certain experiences such as head-tracking and motion controls.

25714408061_db01aa3093_b.jpg

The final technical specifications of the consumer version of the PSVR have also been confirmed and are as follows.

• OLED 5.7" screen
  • 1920 x RGB x 1080 (960 x RGB x 1080 per eye)
  • 120hz, 90hz refresh rates
  • 360 degrees of tracking via 9 LEDs with the PlayStation 4 Camera (sold separately)
  • FOV of 100 degrees
  • 18ms latency
Although the launch of the virtual reality headset has been delayed until October 2016 (previously slated for Q1) the price is much lower than that of its closest competitors - the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

Will you be betting on the future of VR and picking up a PlayStation VR come October? Let us know in the thread below.

:arrow: Discuss

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going under the assumption that the more expensive VR is the best one, therefore I would go for Vive, but Oculus may see more support. That just leave Sony in the dust, but affordability is its draw. Relatively speaking.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So ugly. Why don't they make it smaller size? Jeez. Therefore, I don't see any interesting in it. There might be small 3rd party but mostly 1st and 2nd party. Nah.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh, an almost sensible UK price. That is reasonably refreshing. Price wise that is also dangerously close to my big annual splash on pointless tech toy price, hopefully there is scope for me to play with it should I get one.

Reactions: Online

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
yeah i was mildy happy with the price , dangerously close to xmas , so im sure my tech savvy kids will apply pressure , and as a parent that uses his kids as an excuse to buy all this shit.. im sure i will bite.. but i hope it comes packaged with something worthwhile , and a good few pre exisiting games work or have updates etc etc... essentially for it to succeed , like everything it needs content..

Reactions: dontay0100

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UK pre-orders on Amazon.co.uk are to open at 11am Weds 16th and are limited to one to customer and are apparently in short supply. So fellow Brits may want to hop on at 11am tomorrow to try and secure one if you're interested.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see the need to strap a TV to my eyeballs, I don't get the boner everyone's getting over VR. I would trade every single VR headset tech out there to just get more splitscreen/local multi games - those are synonymous to the console experience to me. Each console this gen supports 4 or more controllers and local multi games can be counted on the fingers of one hand, at least the ones that don't suck.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not surprised that the price. Anything over that and under $350 would have had me surprised. $350 was being generous, but I figured this would be the price. Please be successful, VR gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.