Playstation Vita Hacking News/Overview/FAQ

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Arizato, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    September 6th 2016:

HENkaku has now been updated to version 5.

Features are:
    • Changed how PSN spoofing is done. This should fix problems a minority of users experience regarding game saves.
    • Removed update blocking features as a side effect of above.
    • Update to VitaShell 0.91. This is the last VitaShell update bundled into HENkaku. Please use VitaShell’s built in network update feature to update VitaShell as a standalone component.
    More information here: https://henkaku.xyz/changes/

2. saber_gvn

saber_gvn Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2016
    United States
    Hello, I have a couple of questions that are looking for their answers :D. I bought my vita day 1 and just come back and know about the new 3.60 Henkaku and I'm really pumped!

1) I'm at 3.60, I have install henkaku version 5 and got my VitaShell 0.91. In order for me to play " not legit " Vita games, what other programs do I need beside Vitamin and VitaShell ? I only intend to play PSV game, no need for Homebrew or PSP.

2) Also, do we have a place to download PSV " hacked " game yet? Like for the 3DS you have 3DSiso and blah blah.

Thanks in advance :D.

3. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    1. Technically you only need VitaShell, since it is used to install backup vpks. Vitamin is only needed for making your own dumps.

2. I can't and won't provide with such links. You'll have to google your way to those.

4. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    Chrisser_75 likes this.
  5. Zoninn

Zoninn Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2016
    United States
    i've got a PCH-1010 ps vita and was wondering what region code it is running?

6. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    Seems like it is Region 4. It shouldn't matter though as the Vita is region free.

7. Zoninn

Zoninn Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2016
    United States
    Right, but I need to know because I'm trying to manually update with QCMA. wololo says to edit the region code "XX" in the .xml document. What would Region 4 be in the way I'm trying to edit the .xml document?

EDIT: I figured it out, thanks anyways for your response!

Last edited by Zoninn, Sep 12, 2016
  8. Zoninn

Zoninn Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2016
    United States
    I just got Henkaku and some homebrews working on 3.60 and was just wondering, what happens when I completely power down my vita? I know I will have to reinstall Henkaku, but will the homebrews I installed still be there when I reinstall Henkaku or will I have to reinstall them as well? Thanks for everyone's support!

EDIT: I'm also worried that one day in the future (assuming there hasn't been any new exploits) that the henkaku website you use to install it will be shut down, so I'm not sure if I should just leave it on all the time and risk degrading my battery life or not.

Last edited by Zoninn, Sep 13, 2016
  9. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    Installed homebrews will still be there and visible even when HENkaku is not installed. You just need to start HENkaku to use them.

I don't think you need to worry. There are tools to start your own HENkaku server. I doubt we have to use that server forever anyway, because when/if HENkaku goes Open Source we probably will get more options in terms of hacking the Vita.

September 13th 2016

HENkaku version 6 is now out of Beta and available for everyone on the usual henkaku.xyz.

10. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
  11. Solid_Aigis

Solid_Aigis Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2016
    United States
    To run Vita backups, should I get HENkaku? If so I am running 3.61 does it still work on that version or am I out of luck until they update it?

12. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    If you are on 3.61 you are out of luck. I won't sugarcoat this, you are probably out of luck for quite a while.

13. Mustaa

Mustaa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Netherlands
    I'm sooo glad that I didn't update my vita after giving up hope. Now I can update manually to 3.60 to use backups right?

14. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
  15. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I'm on 3.60 - can I play PS1 Roms with this setup?

16. Voxel

Voxel The Bootleg King

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Your best (and probably only) option for now is to install PCSX Re-ARMed from the latest Retroarch Nightlies. Be sure to use BIN/CUE files with the emulator and not ISO files.

A quick note: you may want to FTP over your BIN/CUE files because I once transferred my PS1 BIN/CUEs via cable (of course, it's a much, much quicker method to get them on your Vita), then moved them to a convenient folder on my memory card, but RetroArch never seemed to detect them, even with file extension filtering off. FTP-ing over the files did the trick, and I was able to play them as normal, and hit full-speed with all the games I tried!

Last edited by Voxel, Oct 3, 2016
    Arizato and Bimmel like this.
  17. Bimmel

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Thank you very much. Is this a normal VPK to install?

And which one do I download? The latest build contains only 32 kb. Seems strange to me.

18. Voxel

Voxel The Bootleg King

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Yep, it's just like any other VPK you would install via VitaShell. (Well, there are multiple VPK files inside the RAR archive, but there is a PCSX ReARMed VPK in there somewhere)

And yeah, ignore those 32kb builds; they'll just be failed builds. (Often happens when you set up an auto-building system). Grab the 2016-10-02 builds since the one that was auto-built today looks to have failed...

Arizato, Bimmel and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Bimmel

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Awesome! Worked on the first try! Thanks again! :-)

Arizato and Voxel like this.
  20. Mustaa

Mustaa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Netherlands
    A question about the xml file where I need to change to region id. In the file it syas us but I have a european model. So do I need to change the 'us' into 'eu'? And that's the only thing I need to change right in the xml file? (step 6 from the guide)