Playstation Vita Hacking News/Overview/FAQ

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Arizato, Jan 25, 2013.

Jan 25, 2013

Arizato Memento Mori

Message Count:
    Sweden
    [IMG]

Getting into Vita hacking can be somewhat troublesome and confusing. I made this thread to collect information and put it in one place, therefore making it easier for everyone to find the help they need!

I personally check the Vita Hacking forum daily and I will try to answer every question asked in this thread. However, please check the FAQ section in this thread first, as the answer you are searching for may be there!

Links to other guides and files are found in the bottom of this post!

[IMG]

October 19th 2014: Davee has released a proof of concept Vita hack through the webkit. You are free to try it on your Vita, but you can't really do anything yet. As long as you don't get any kind of error you are golden!
    http://wololo.net/2014/10/19/vita-hack-davee-releases-a-vita-native-exploit-through-webkit-but-there-might-be-a-catch
    UPDATE: The proof of concept exploit/hack has been updated for 3.18. I have tried it myself on my own 3.18 Vita and it is indeed working as intended. Now giving me a message saying: "Congrats, this vita is vulnerable"

Older News:

WARNING! Spoilers inside!

[IMG]

Q: Is there a native Vita FW hack yet?

A: NO

You can however read up on the progress native hacking has made here:
    http://wololo.net/2014/09/21/native-vita-hacking-whats-the-situation-so-far-part-1/
    http://wololo.net/2014/09/22/native-vita-hacking-whats-the-situation-so-far-part-2/

(Thanks to Tom Bombadildo for the links)

Q: Where should I go for for new information about native Vita hacking?
    A: http://yifan.lu/

Q: Is the Playstation Vita hacked yet?

A: It depends what you mean! The PSP "portion" of the Vita is hacked, much like the DS mode is hacked on the 3DS. This means that you will be able to play PSP homebrew and backups. It is limited though, there are games and homebrew that works great on a real PSP, but not so great on a Vita.

Q: Is hacking my Playstation Vita worth it?

A: It depends on your personal preference. Firmware 3.18 is the latest firmware that supports hacking at the moment. It's still fairly new and you can still buy a few new games in the coming months. However it probably won't be long until newer retail Vita releases will require a firmware higher than 3.01.

Hacked Vita:

• Being on an old firmware means you might be able to use future hacks and exploits.
    • Being able to play PSP games that aren't on the PSN store.
    • Being able to use the PSP PSN store on your Vita (Only possible with TN-V, not VHBL).
    • Able to use almost all homebrews available for the PSP (Emulators, applications, homebrew games).
    • Most PSP homebrews and games look great on the Vita Screen.
    Non-hacked Vita:

• Buying Vita games without worrying about having to update and lose hacks.
    • Access Vita PSN store.
    • Use PS+ on Vita.
    • Upload Trophies.
    • Chat with friends and online gaming.
    • Enjoy and use whatever improvements Sony might include in future firmware updates.
    Most people agree that buying a PSP and hacking it is the better choice since it's less of a hassle. But still, it's up to you.

Q: What Firmware and game do I need to hack my Vita?
    A: This chart should answer your question!

[IMG]

Q: How is "PSP-mode" hacking generally done?

A: It is usually done by buying a certain game on the Playstation Network, usually a few days before the release of the exploit/hack itself. YOU CANNOT DOWNLOAD THIS GAME FOR FREE ANYWHERE! Don't ask for a free download or someone to send it to you, because it just doesn't work that way. You also can't borrow someone else's PSN account to download the game.

The hack has thus far only been released as a save file, you upload this save file to your Vita, start the game, load that save and BAM: Custom menu with support for homebrew and backup loading.

Q: What is Open CMA and what does it do?

A: Copying files to and from the PSV isn't as easy as it was with the PSP. You need to use Sony's Content Manager Assistant which only enables you to copy certain files to certain folders. This manager also connects to the internet. If you have an exploitable game which gets taken down from Playstation Network, you won't be able to copy that file back to your Playstation Vita. Open CMA prevents the content manager to connect to the internet, making it possible to restore your game whenever you want.

Q: Can't I just buy the exploitable game on my Playstation 3 and transfer it to my Vita later?

A: It only works as long as the game still is on the Playstation Network, you are screwed if it gets removed. Don't wait or become lazy. Download the game to your Vita as soon as possible!!

Q: Where do I get the names of the exploitable games?

A: The game's names are usually announced as a "ninja release" on www.wololo.net. This means that you need to be a registered member on their forum to see it. This is done so that as many people as possible can get the game before it gets taken down on the Playstation Network. Don't worry though. The name of the games are released to non-members one or two days later, this is when I will announce the game in this thread. I beg you NOT to leak the release in this thread or anywhere else on the internet before the public release is at hand.

You are free to use this thread to ask me any questions you might have. I will add these questions to the FAQ if necessary!

[IMG]

Guides:
    Lower PS Vita Firmwares for Dummies
    TN-V: How to install Homebrews
    TN-V: How to install Plugins and CTF-Themes

Files & Applications:
    TN-V8 and older versions
    Open CMA
    Last edited by Arizato, Oct 19, 2014
    Margen67, Metoroid0, VVoltz and 2 others like this.

• Newcomer

Kratozero New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    I wish to know that has happened in the past regarding the PS Store updates, when...for example...version 2.1 comes out, will we all be blocked from the store?, what if we update?, Uno won't run?, the exploit will stop working?, what has happened in the past to users with previous exploits?

Arizato Memento Mori

Message Count:
    Sweden
    As long as you stay on 2.02 the UNO game and exploit should still work. Don't update to 2.05 (Which was released yesterday), since that will render your exploit useless. You generally won't be able to access the store or the online features on your Vita if you don't update it. However, there is a workaround that makes you able to go online on your Vita without updating: http://wololo.net/2013/01/25/psn-and-online-features-on-without-updating-on-fw-2-02-charles-proxy/

I don't know how long it will work though. Just don't count on that it will work forever!

Small update here. I just wanna warn for scam attempts. This was sent to me as a private message this morning from a new account named shay-shay:

NEVER share your PSN account with anyone. Not even close friends.

Originality Chibi-neko

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Wasn't there a 2 use license clause in the TnC? Game sharing might work in theory (not willing to try) but only once at max, or so I believe.

Arizato Memento Mori

Message Count:
    Sweden
    February 5th 2013: Total Noob announces TN-V. Which ports the PSP XMB to the 2.02 UNO exploit. Will probably be the best menu yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/rCGThj6NxJM

February 19th 2013: TN-V is planned for release in March. Features include:
    • Full Internet Radio feature
    • MS Speed up feature
    • Ability to use and play music through XMB
    • Access to the camera (Some issues with saving and other issues)
    • Almost all plugins are going to work in example dayviewer or CXMB (A CTF Theme loader) will work.
    • An install function to the game_plugin_module which allows moving ISOs and extracting archives.
    • Vast homebrew support (Unsuccessful homebrew launch will now return to the VSH with an error code instead of crashing.)

Ryupower Brood

Message Count:
    United States

Arizato Memento Mori

Message Count:
    Sweden
    February 25th 2013: TN-V will work with every released exploit. It's no longer exclusive to the 2.02 exploit.

Originality Chibi-neko

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    That's good, my Gravity Crash Vita will get it. Only thing now is to wait for it to be released.

KoopaHax35000vr Idk

Message Count:
    United States
    Can any Ps Vita hacks emulate ds, gamecube, n64,snes,nes, or psp games?btw im new to psVita hacking

Arizato Memento Mori

Message Count:
    Sweden
    PSP mode hacking gives you access to do almost everything that a PSP can do when it's hacked, minus certain homebrews and games. You can play PSP-backups and emulate NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA and stuff like that.

DS, Gamecube and N64 is not possible to emulate on the Vita at the moment. It's possible that you will be able to do that once Vita-mode is hacked, but no promises can be made there.

March 15th 2013: TN-V has been released for all exploits.

http://wololo.net/2013/03/15/release-tn-v/

Instructions: (Note: This requires an exploit to use, TN-V is not an exploit itself!)
    1. Search the game which you own in ‘savedatas’ and extract the associated savedata to ‘\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\’, (The ’XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’ is a bunch of random numbers and letters.)
    2. Obtain the 6.60 EBOOT and copy it to the savedata folder with the name "660.PBP"
    3. Transfer it to your PS Vita using CMA.
    4. Run the exploit game and hold the R trigger while the game is loading the exploited savedata.
    5. Once you are in the recovery menu, select: -> Advanced -> Install 6.60 files
    6. As original OFW files are needed, this step has to be done. But ONLY ONE TIME.
    7. If you are not familiar with the recovery menu, only adjust the settings which are recommended.
    8. Enjoy 6.60 TN-V

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Message Count:
    United States
    Ninja release for tomtomdu80's 2.06 hack soon, Didn't feel like making another thread so I figured just post it here

FireSeel New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    The game for the 2.06 hack has been named at wololo.net
    Zmizk likes this.
    • Newcomer

mushra Asgard

Message Count:
    Japan
    I have tried this with my wife`s vita after she made an account just like shay-shay X D what a name. Just for the record it allowed my account to get on her vita but once I tried to jump back I lost access to Monster Hunter b/c it wasn`t downloaded on her account. I rejumped it back to my account (there`s a 1 account for 2 Vita limit so can`t do this with 3 people) and tried to get everything without PSN but still got didn`t get access to Monster Hunter. After checking the settings I had no choice but fully connect to PSN and through the setting menu I had to "activate" the game >_______> then finally after files were out got nes on her vita. So yea no such crap as gamesharing with the vita b/c of licenses and everyone`s favorite big brother PSN keeping an eye on you.....through the net that is.[/quote]
    Last edited by mushra, Apr 9, 2013

SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Message Count:
    Germany
    Is there currently a way to hack a v2.10 Vita?

What happens if Sony updates the firmware and patches the exploit? Obviously the hack gets removed so what's the point?
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Shotgun to the face is not a contingency plan.

Message Count:
    Poland
    The point is that some people choose not to update.

Ryupower Brood

Message Count:
    United States
    Release: TN-V v3

also

Sony did some in 2.10 stuff making somethings a little hard to do
    PS Vita 2.10: Sony’s ‘stability improvements’
    they did some changes to the PSP emulator

Message Count:
    Germany
    But then you can't play newer games without updating, right?

Arizato Memento Mori

Message Count:
    Sweden
    G
    Thank you for updating this thread. I don't recommend users to update to TN-V v3 just yet though. Many people (me included) have problems with FTP for Vita crashing and others even reported that PSPfiler crashes. Hopefully a hotfix will be released soon.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Shotgun to the face is not a contingency plan.

Message Count:
    Poland
    Right, but apparently some people don't mind.

I used to have a PSP eCFW installed (using the Uno exploit) but ended up updating anyways because:
    • PSN
    • New games
    • PS+
    eCFW users are really missing out on a lot of features. In my honest opinion, it's infinitely better to just get a PSP and use your PSP ISO's/Homebrew on it instead of the PSVita, but hey! People are free to do whatever they want. Technically there are some eCFW benefits since it gives you more "juice" than a standard PSP so the games and apps can be more complex.
    riyaz likes this.

Message Count:
    Germany
    I agree. I just keep my PSP for now. Hopefully there will be a non-patchable exploit soon.

SPONSORED LINKS