PlayStation Now (NOT PSN) shutting down support for Vita, PS3, media players

PS-Now-Lead.jpg

PlayStation Now, Sony's streaming service which allows for subscribers to stream PS3 games to their Sony consoles is about to suffer a setback. On August 15, the company will be halting support for the PlayStation Vita, Vita TV, PS3, and any and all built-in services for things like Sony Blu-ray players, or Sony/Samsung TVs. Afterwards, PlayStation Now will only be available via PC or PS4. SCEA's statement on the matter is below.

After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices. This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further. If you use any of the above devices, we want to give our heartfelt thanks for your support, and we hope you’ll continue with us. Remember that all of your PS Now cloud game saves can easily be accessed on both PS4 and Windows PC.

:arrow: SOURCE

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol.. thats just like sony to give you something then take it away.

I never use the service but this isnt the first time sony has done something like this

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bad, bad bad, move & news if you were planning to get ps now & don't have a decent pc/ps4/both, but own a ps3/vita/pstv etc. I guess they're trying to force people to switch to ps4/ps4 pro as a main Sony console. It won't be a big loss for people that don't own any of those devices, but I have to say it sure sucks. They're possibly alienating a lot of people with this. I already started to dislike Sony Playstation, because of some bad experiences I had with their services I paid for + their sometimes OP prices I don't know if it's just me, but it's like things are getting worser by each year.(danged money milkers):(

But if I were to see this positive is that some people will save money! Why buy a ps4 & to play on PS Now if you can save money & play on pc/a friends ps4 + you can also save money by quiting PS+ on those old devices if you already have most games you wanted!:evil::lol: I guess people that don't like to spent to much money like me can say THANK YOU Sony!:rofl2::yay::toot:

Last edited by Angely,

Shawn ShyGuy

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I didn't even know I could do PS Now on my PS3, lol
I can see this affecting Vita-only players (all 2 of them) that wanna play some PS3 games, but besides that, it seems like it's the best option, to allow the majority of PS4 and PC players to get the best experience.
As for those streaming PS Now on their PS3, you should just pick up the games, most PS3 games are dirt cheap now.
But hey, I've never used the service, correct me if I'm missing something.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like many others, ive never seen this in my life. but of course it would be getting halted, competing with things like twitch and whatnot.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
While this is upsetting news, especially for people who want to play PS3 games on the go (despite quality issues when playing them on the Vita), I understand why they made this decision.

That said, instead of getting PS Now I made the decision last year to just buy a used PS3 and pay for all the games that I want. Used PS3 games are pretty cheap at this point and I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of the system, and while I haven't been meticulously keeping track of how much I spent on the system and games, I don't believe that I've spent $180 on it in the year that I've had it. But even if I did, I'm playing all of the games without any lag and they're all quality (imo) games that I'm interested in playing.
> says the guy who wrote a 2k+ word review on a game called My Name is Mayo...

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They possibly had usage data to back up the decision, realized the great majority is on PC and PS4 and support for other devices could be holding new features back.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad to see it go, but I probably won't really miss it. I played all three of the uncharted games on my Vita, and it worked fairly well (except for the occasional lag spike). Some games would not work at all though, the main one I remember was trying to play shadow of the Colossus. I'd get about halfway up a colossi (I think that's what they're called) and I'd fall off due to stupid input lag.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong kind of streaming. PS Now streams PS3 games to your device, it's not a Livestream service like Twitch.
oooooooooooooh
Thanks for clarification.

So no more playing my ps3 games on my PSP? That kind?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They possibly had usage data to back up the decision, realized the great majority is on PC and PS4 and support for other devices could be holding new features back.
I think it just might be the fact that ps3 is a dying console. Because of P4/X1/NX

Cutting back on support for others would mean more revenue for other things, like improving the service for other devices people would much rather use.

But I didn't think they would go as far as PC support though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: