PlayStation Now coming to PC

psnow.jpg

Sony has announced that its game streaming service, PlayStation Now, will be coming to Windows PCs this fall. Playstation Now is a monthly based subscription service, which lets users stream Playstation 3 games over the internet. This announcement comes alongside the reveal of a new $24.99 DualShock 4 adapter, which lets you officially connect your controller to your PC, without use of third party drivers.

Here are the recommended specs for running PS Now on your PC:

• Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
  • 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
  • 300 MB or more; 2 GB or more of RAM
  • Sound card; USB port

:arrow: Source

:arrow: List of PS Now games

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To each to their own I guess, but you cannot ignore Mac users since they do make up a good percentage of people.
Those are the people that we can live without, it's fine. You've chosen your fate. You've made your non-gaming bed in the Apple store, now lay in it. The same applies to people jerking it to Linux - just stick to your WINE and stop WHINEing about the lack of native support - that's what you get when your OS is cobbled together by a 100 000 anonymous monkeys. Thankfully you're in the comfortable position of being able to dual boot Windows. Linux fans have it harder since Windows is not compatibility with their GNU principles. :P

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have shit internet, then yeah. You'll have lag. But, yeah..it sounds nice.
Even without shit internet, certain games like Shadow of Colossus can become an infuriating experience since even the slightest amount of latency can mean you losing your grip despite the button being held down. Other games that are dependent on tight controls are a similar situation. The technology isn't there yet.

To put on the tinfoil hat for a moment though, this coming to PC feels like a horrible thing on the horizon. Streaming of games from a server to a player is the holy grail against piracy or hardware discrepancies since the files related to the game are housed on a closed server that is just transmitting video to your computer. But this also means that players are entirely dependent on their internet connection and are essentially just playing for access to a game... With access being something that can potentially be lost or revoked for any number of reasons. Further eroding the concept of "owning" the games you are paying $60 for. In short... worse than U-play, a service that nobody likes entirely because of these sort of issues. This is the sort of reason why Microsoft was trying to push the whole account based, always-online system when Xbone first came out, why people fought back against it... But how quickly we forget.

D

Deleted User

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........

Oh wait you want actual words for this post so you don't delete it huh? Okay then.
Yeah, last time I checked you have to contribute something to the discussion other than shitposting.
Because maybe they wanted to market to PC kinda like Microsoft is doing?
NO NOP NOPE!
Jesus, it's not a communist reign on Sony calm down.
Sony i swear if you end up being like konami.......
Wtf are you talking about. Konami set up a streaming service for their own line of consoles? Where?
Do i have to remind *everyone of E3 2006?
GIANT ENEMY CRABS?
FIVE HUNDRED AND NINTY-NINE US DOLLARS?
BANANA BOOMERANG CONTROLLER?
And what does that have to do with this.
[/QUOTE]

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll buy a couple adapters, but I'm not interested in Playstation Now.

Actually I wouldn't even bother with this sony adapter (unless your PC doesn't have bluetooth built-in), since it is just a bluetooth adapter that doesn't offer compatibility to all games from what I've read...Get DS4Windows instead.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,
Reactions: netovsk

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate subscription fees and I tried a Sony service before in a friend's house where they would "rent" you games,
you ended up paying a fortune for crappy games and could only play them for a day, month, 3 months (or something similar)
not sure if this is the same thing, but it was terrible.

Software as a service is a bad Idea, I like to own my games even if they're digital and if this means the start of another stupid store like
Origin, Windows store or some other BS then I'm against it. I would hate to see a future where every damn dev has an exclusive store service DRM,
keep that shit on consoles!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even without shit internet, certain games like Shadow of Colossus can become an infuriating experience since even the slightest amount of latency can mean you losing your grip despite the button being held down. Other games that are dependent on tight controls are a similar situation. The technology isn't there yet.

To put on the tinfoil hat for a moment though, this coming to PC feels like a horrible thing on the horizon. Streaming of games from a server to a player is the holy grail against piracy or hardware discrepancies since the files related to the game are housed on a closed server that is just transmitting video to your computer. But this also means that players are entirely dependent on their internet connection and are essentially just playing for access to a game... With access being something that can potentially be lost or revoked for any number of reasons. Further eroding the concept of "owning" the games you are paying $60 for. In short... worse than U-play, a service that nobody likes entirely because of these sort of issues. This is the sort of reason why Microsoft was trying to push the whole account based, always-online system when Xbone first came out, why people fought back against it... But how quickly we forget.

^ Exactly this, this sets a really bad precedent for gaming. Companies want more and more control, just remember what happened to the Silent hill PT and many other games that disappear due to legal BS

Last edited by Zeriel,

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Since when did the ps4 controller need third party drivers? Bluetooth works fine.

Bluetooth sure works fine with ds4...However most PC games only support XInput but not DInput, which means ds4 won't even be detected by those PC games.

Is this new dongle going to work for the dualshock 3 controllers? The DS4s don't look as good to me as the DS3s, and as someone without any intent of buying a PS4, I'd really like a DS3 dongle so I can play steam games with a decent d-pad.

Nope...This dongle works with DS4 only.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night