Hacking Playing .wbfs files

raphzthename

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm definitely not a noob when it comes to Wii modding, but perhaps I am a noob to the newer and greater methods out there. I typically mod systems for people and format their hard drives to WBFS, drag ISOs of games onto WBFS Manager and let the program do the rest. I know that you can now leave your drive in NTFS format and just leave the games in .iso format. I have just modded a Wii system for a friend who bought a hard drive from craigslist with the games preloaded. The hard drive is formatted in NTFS, but the game files are .wbfs. How can he get these games to run?

When starting USB Loader GX, it says that it cannot find a WBFS or FAT/NTFS partition. He has options to select a partition or format the drive. When selecting the main partition, it just gives a code dump. I'm hesitant to tell him to format as I'm not sure whether there is an option to partition the HD through USB Loader GX or if it will just wipe his entire drive. I've tested out a game with one of my USB drives using my method of choice (drag .iso to WBFS Manager to transfer to WBFS formatted USB drive) and it works just fine. I have also tried dragging one of his .wbfs files to add onto my USB drive and that doesn't work. Normally when you drag an .iso file into WBFS Manager, it shows you the game name and other info. Trying to drag the .wbfs file into WBFS Manager does nothing.

What's the easiest way for my friend to be able to play the .wbfs game files on his NTFS HD?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make a folder called "wbfs" on the root of the hard drive and place all .wbfs files in there. What revision is the USB loader gx? Global settings > Credits should tell you

EmbraceFiction

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You should format the drive in FAT32, and follow the above directions.

I also recommend CFG Loader
tongue.gif

Jackaltyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
(Note: this is only for converting to iso. don't use if you want to keep the wbfs files.) Download Wii Backup manager, open up and click files tab. then click add, select files then locate your wbfs file. Then, click transfer and then click iso. Finally, choose where you want the iso to be created and clik ok. Wait, and then you will have an iso to place on the drive if you format it.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zizer said:
usb loader gx not support ntfs (use cfg). for convert games use wii backup manager
not true, I just tried ripping to ntfs with gx 2.0 (just recently released), it works fine.

raphzthename

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jackaltyson said:
(Note: this is only for converting to iso. don't use if you want to keep the wbfs files.) Download Wii Backup manager, open up and click files tab. then click add, select files then locate your wbfs file. Then, click transfer and then click iso. Finally, choose where you want the iso to be created and clik ok. Wait, and then you will have an iso to place on the drive if you format it.

Thanks for this suggestion. I already knew that he could go that route, but it seems redundant to me. Since the files are already in .wbfs I feel like there should be a simpler method.

QUOTE(Shano56 @ Jan 14 2011, 03:03 PM) Make a folder called "wbfs" on the root of the hard drive and place all .wbfs files in there. What revision is the USB loader gx? Global settings > Credits should tell you

I believe the game files were already on the root of the hard drive in a folder labeled "wbfs" when he brought his HD over. Inside the wbfs folder, the games are nested in another folder labeled with the game name. Does this have any effect on USB Loader GX not picking up the format of the drive? I believe the folder hierarchy is like so:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Madden NFL 11 (folder) > madden11.wbfs

The USB Loader GX revision is 938.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raphzthename said:
Jackaltyson said:

Thanks for this suggestion. I already knew that he could go that route, but it seems redundant to me. Since the files are already in .wbfs I feel like there should be a simpler method.

QUOTE(Shano56 @ Jan 14 2011, 03:03 PM) Make a folder called "wbfs" on the root of the hard drive and place all .wbfs files in there. What revision is the USB loader gx? Global settings > Credits should tell you

I believe the game files were already on the root of the hard drive in a folder labeled "wbfs" when he brought his HD over. Inside the wbfs folder, the games are nested in another folder labeled with the game name. Does this have any effect on USB Loader GX not picking up the format of the drive? I believe the folder hierarchy is like so:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Madden NFL 11 (folder) > madden11.wbfs

The USB Loader GX revision is 938.

Hm, not sure about that one, what you could try is to put one of the games in > wbfs, and see if that works. If not, just put it back in the folder you found it.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its beacuse of the name of the file (I think) it needs to have the games titleid and be named in a specific way

Mine looks like this:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Mario Party 8 [RM8E01] (folder) > RM8E01.wbfs

or:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Mario Party 8 [RM8E01].wbfs

Reactions: alonzondavis

Iri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wait so we can just download the wbfs files and put in the wbfs folder and it will work? without having to put in the wii backup manager? If yes...why bother dowloading iso files so?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wait so we can just download the wbfs files and put in the wbfs folder and it will work? without having to put in the wii backup manager? If yes...why bother dowloading iso files so?

Please, don't reply to old threads.

You have two options:

USB Loader GX will load .wbfs files

CFS USB Loader will load .iso and .wbfs

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USB Loader GX will load .iso files too.
But it's not his question.

You don't need ISO in Wii Backup Manager to convert to wbfs (iso -> wbfs)
you can use wbfs directly in wii Backup Manager. (wbfs -> wbfs)

You don't need WiiBackupManager to "move" the wbfs file to the Wii HDD, you can copy the file where it should be directly with your OS file explorer.
but it's still recommended to use Wii Backup Manager even if your file is already in wbfs to be sure it's correctly named, and placed in the correct folder.
doing things yourself manually is prone to user error (and black screen, and reboot to menu when trying to play the game, etc.)

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs