Gaming Playing DS in bed

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Please bear with me on this fairly strange thread.

Mostly, whenever I play my DS I'm in bed (figured it wouldn't look too good to play in work, and I never use public transport) - almost entirely since I've had my DS I've been catching up on the GBA gems that I missed out on first time around, and it was fine, but now I'm having to use the stylus a lot I'm finding it stupidly uncomfortable to hold, no matter what I try - I must be doing something wrong surely?
smile.gif

On a side note, lying on my side for some reason doesn't seem too bad, but since I often wear headphones (they actually sound a lot better than the DS's speakers) it's not really practical, are there any completely low profile headphones I can get? I don't mind spending a bit extra on them... cheers

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
^^ Same
laugh.gif

For the stylus just hold it like a pen. If thats uncomfortable because big hands, cramp, amputee, you could try a larger stylus or pen like stylus attactment from your local EB or Gamestop, gaming store whatever. I found it strange at first and still do and usually opt for button controls if there are any in the games as i hate the stylus.

I mainly end up playing my DS at night in my bed too
rofl2.gif
due to many time commitments I have. I wear headphones but mine are decent quality sony over the hears headphones with decent sound but i can't lie down using them because its really awkward like you said, so i mainly just have to sit on my bed and play
laugh.gif

P

pasc

Yeah, sitting in bed and playing at night is nice, but somehow I dislike the DSLite's stylus, I stick with my extendable phat one I guess
wink.gif

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is just me:

When I play DS in bed it's soon starts to hurt my eyes... I have my BackLight on the lowest setting and some lights are still on in the room but still the backlight is too bright
frown.gif

The strange thing is that this does not happen all the time
tongue.gif

For the position I just lie on my belly and play the games with headphones on
smile.gif
If it is a stylus only game I just put the DS on my bed it is stable enough.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
It's the position. Whenever your stylus hand is hurting, put it down and let the blood flow back into it. No need to stop playing, just hold on for a cutscene.

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Cheers for the replies guys - I'm actually fine with the stylus, I find the original one pretty comfortable to hold, it's just the way I hold the console itself that's causing problems, it's not even as though it gets heavy after a time, more just a case of when you hold something in the same place for a certain period it becomes uncomfortable, but for some reason I didn't have this problem when I could hold the DS with two hands whilst playing GBA games.

I've also got some of the over the ear things, thought it'd be useful since they wouldn't come out, plus I don't use them in public so it doesn't matter what they look like - but it just makes it even worse when I try to lie down on my side to play, nggh :-)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i play my ds and psp in bed, nothing embarrassing about it, especially when i don't feel like turning my ps3/ Wii on or i just want to play a quick game of something before i sleep, i take my ds and psp to another place too when i want to do a "number 2" lol

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is just me:

When I play DS in bed it's soon starts to hurt my eyes... I have my BackLight on the lowest setting and some lights are still on in the room but still the backlight is too bright
frown.gif

The strange thing is that this does not happen all the time
tongue.gif

For the position I just lie on my belly and play the games with headphones on
smile.gif
If it is a stylus only game I just put the DS on my bed it is stable enough.
Ditto sometimes. I don't who ever uses anything other the lowest brightness setting, although I haven't had the opportunity toi be using my DS when it's been incredibly sunny yet. Be another few months before that'll be happening.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's from the pressure from the gravity and an unusual position of your inner ear. It's the same thing that happens when you read while moving forward in a car, or in a plane.

EDIT: In case anyone was wondering, I was referring to the guy who posted about his eyes getting tired.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes I pass out while playing and wake up with the Phoenix Wright music still playing. Probably all the reading in bed knocks me out.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost exclusively play DS games in my bed. For the simple fact that I can turn the volume all the way up without disturbing others, and I don't have to wear my ear buds.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I put a little pillow below my chest as a sort of support.
That way I can lean on both the pillow and my elbows so I can play touchscreen games a lot easier.

More intense games require me to sit up though.
Lying down I've only gotten 300K on geometry wars Retro evolved but sitting up I've gotten 1.5 mil.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol, you sound just like me. I'm really behind on sleep because I've been playing GBA classics and DS games all night. And yeah it's uncomfortable, try playing EBA while playing on your side!

@xcalibur: Yeah, I do that as wel. And Geometry Wars Retro Evolved is solid, those stupid triangles keep on killing me...

QUOTE said:
Sometimes I pass out while playing and wake up with the Phoenix Wright music still playing. Probably all the reading in bed knocks me out.

Aha, I don't pass out, but I've fell asleep before and woken up to it lol. And it's usually with Phoenix Wright, all the text gets a bit wearying. PW4 FTW!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.