Playing 360 Backups without Dual Layers

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Samnitmar, Oct 3, 2009.

Oct 3, 2009
    • Newcomer

Samnitmar New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Can you play 360 backups without Dual Layer DVDs? I'm all out and just want to test my new modded Xbox like right now :U

Also, is the 360 region locked or can I play PAL stuff on my US-box?

Carnivean STARMAN

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    No (technically you may be able to but your box would be banned rather fast).

Yes, it goes based on individual games. Check them at ABGX or similar.

Uzumakijl New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    :Edited away due wrong info:

360 is region on some games, So there should be just a quite few which you can't play.
    • Newcomer

Samnitmar New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    You don't happen to have a list of the do you? :3

EDIT: Also, for now I won't be hooking it up to Live, so I'm safe I think :U

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Message Count:
    United States
    • Newcomer

Samnitmar New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I was actually looking for a list of games that you can burn to a DVD5, but thanks anyway [IMG]
    • Reporter

FAST6191 Techromancer

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    The only time you could burn 360 compatible games to a DVD5 was with older firmwares for original xbox games (today even they have to burned to dual layer). Some 360 titles are way under the single layer limit after you get rid of padding but to my knowledge no firmware has ever supported this for 360 games.
    The closest I have come to something like this was when I scratched a dual layer disc but had installed it to the hard drive and it failed in the same way the scratched disc would (identification errors, also same idea for a bad burn) but this is nothing more than an intellectual curiosity at this point.

Region free... Uzumakijl gives the impression that it is rare for a release to be region free while I would argue the opposite. ABGX is the source of info most people use:
    http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6
    If you have an iso the tool abgx360 is able to tell.

If you have yet to do the August 11th 2009 update or any subsequent one homebrew is set to appear which has the potential to make things region free.

iNFiNiTY New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry what? You can't play 360 games on DVD5 at all DVD9 is required. Shouldn't answer questions if you don't know what you are talking about. Also as said, most games are region-free its a minority which isn't.

Uzumakijl New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    :Edited away:

Armadillo New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    No you didn't. The only firmware ever to support dvd 5 was the the old xtreme 5.x series for the samsung and even then it was xbox 1 backups only. Xbox 360 support was never finished as the first ban wave came shortly after and it was all switched to ixtreme. So unless you have some unreleased firmware, that no body else has ever seen or heard of, then you didn't play them on dvd5.

Also all of them dvd5 game releases in that list were what was dumped before the hacked firmware was out. None of them will play on any hacked firmware without sorting them out first (rebuilding them so they are dual layer, adding back ss, pfi,dmi etc) and even then some of them still won't work as they were ripped wrong.

Bloodgod 嵐の王

Message Count:
    United States
    FYI I've played Lost Odyssey in one DVD5.

hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Message Count:
    Canada
    You guys are stupid if you play Xbox360 backups on a single layer DVD -- They would immediately fail all CRC checks and give MS a red flag for a ban.

All Xbox360 games *must* be burned to Dual Layer media. There are several disc checks in place that verify the game as being "legit" to the Xbox.

Maz7006 iSEXu

Message Count:
    Lebanon
    ^^ Exactly, don't be cheap, i mean its just a DVD9...and your getting the game for free either way.

but is it possible?...yes....recommended?... NO!

Bloodgod 嵐の王

Message Count:
    United States
    *facepalm*

It's not possible, period. This isn't a wii where you can hack and downsample audio/video to fit into a DVD5.
    • Newcomer

Samnitmar New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Alright, thanks guys. I'll be heading out to buy some Dual Layer media tomorrow then. Best to be on the safe side, right? [IMG]

triassic911 Burst Mode

Message Count:
    United States
    Remember, DVD+R DL.

Originality Chibi-neko

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Just to add to that and be helpful: DVD+R DL (as opposed to DVD-R DL) because only DVD+R is capable of having layer breaks, which is important in burning 360 games [IMG]

Uzumakijl New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    After some talk with some dude who knows about 360 hacking (Unlike the bit** who told me they where DVD5) I take back all i sayd, At this momment is not possible to play 360 Backups in DVD5, Sorry for the confusion there [IMG]

Yep, I didn't ... Sorry again.. [IMG]

Bloodgod 嵐の王

Message Count:
    United States
    No confusion. We all though you were an idiot from the get go.
    • Newcomer

heroshime428 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey look its a short-winded asshole with a superiority complex and a problem accepting a genuine apology when its given. You must pay is what you said. Also considering you spelled thought "though" I'm wondering who is really the idiot. I doubt you have half the etiquette that Uzumakijl has and i bet you only called him an idiot because you feel like you always have to be right and anyone who challenges that must be thrown down. Its that kind of behavior that is dragging down the human race. Listen man you make the USA look bad. People like you are the reason the rest of the world wants to run planes into our buildings. Do us all a favor and please jump off of the tallest building in your area. Make sure that you line your pockets with candy so that when they come to clean your lifeless corpse off the street the cleaners will have something to snack on. This is the only possible way i can see you making anyone you come in contact with feel a little better about life. Also if that option doesnt suit you please go dig your eyeballs out with a melon baller, shove pencils in your ears, cut off your fingers and toes, severe your own spinal column, and remove your tongue so that there is no possible way for you to communicate with the outside world. Steven Hawking would be more mobile then you and all he does is sit and blink. You whack job.
    Last edited by heroshime428, Nov 30, 2012
    triassic911 likes this.