Hacking Planning on getting a switch should i get it now or wait

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. Wondering if the recent homebrew news means that emulators will be availble for it soon(next few months) looking for a portable all in one nes-gba emulation system. I do have my 2ds for that but idk the switch just seems more attractive right now. My wiiu has all the emulators but isnt really playable on the fly like the switch.

RayD97

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't get a switch just for homebrew that may or may not come as soon as you like. You're basically saying you want to spend $400 on a NES/GBA. Get a switch because you want to play the games it has to offer, with future potential on the side. But if you want one anyways and can wait for a special edition/good bundle offer, then that'd be good.

Last edited by RayD97,

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright sounds good for now. Im not super into online play. More local multiplayer but as long as thats good im fine with it

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you care about the games, and portability.
Then yes I would buy it,

However if you plan on not updating to wait in line for Homebrew.
1. You cannot play online, link your Nintendo account, etc... This may be a major feature that makes or breaks you staying on a lower firmware
2. You cannot buy digital download games, demos, etc. You can only use cartridges. This isn't a complete downside.
3. You cannot update (obviously) if you want Homebrew on the console, and you cannot update games, even if your friend has a Nintendo Switch and updates the game for you, you still have to update it on your system to play it. Kind of confusing when comparing how the 3ds updates work with the switches.

As far as Homebrew progress goes though, everything is basically going and coming very quickly. Just recently releases like Cage the Unicorn and some other tool (For developers.) Have released, and some people (rumors mostly.) Are working on a flashcart, Homebrew applications, or basically any progress for the system. Just recently a NES Game was found on the console called FLOG. (GOLF Spelled backwards.)

However any Homebrew apps that can for example, launch the equivalent of LumaCFW for the 3ds. May take awhile (a long time.) to develop. So I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet if Homebrew will come out for just a general audience, although I can guarantee you its happening basically.
But I wouldn't buy the Switch alone just for Homebrew.

Edit: Oh and I forget, its not possible to downgrade or your console basically self destructs its self, due to Efuses or something idk.
Currently HB will only work with 1.0.0 - 3.0.0 as far as I know. Anything above 3.0.0 currently will not work with Homebrew, or at least the exploit the access homebrew.

Last edited by petethepug,

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
My switch collecting dusts ,i find my self playing Vita/3DS way more often but again this's your last chance to get hackable FW

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you bought from amazon there is a small chance it will be on 3.0.1
Any exploits/CFW available only up to 3.0.0 will suck anyway. For now it's only worth buying a Switch if you're going to spend at least some money in addition to the console. There are several great games, some exclusive some not, dropping before the end of the year. Let alone next year. Perhaps later there will be a higher FW exploit.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any exploits/CFW available only up to 3.0.0 will suck anyway. For now it's only worth buying a Switch if you're going to spend at least some money in addition to the console. There are several great games, some exclusive some not, dropping before the end of the year. Let alone next year. Perhaps later there will be a higher FW exploit.
PC>Everything else, if they have kernel there should be no problem with either spoofing firmware (no burnt fuses) or modding the game to have a lower firmware requirement assuming it does not use a very specific feature exclusive to a higher firmware.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it from qvc didnt feel like dropping 300$ all at once so ill just pay it off over 5 months. Ill let fate decide if the one that comes in is higher then 3.0 ill use it for games only and if it comes at exactly 3.0 or lower then the homebrew is a bonus

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

thurp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
get a switch its pretty good i guess

Attachments

• grape - Copy.jpg
    grape - Copy.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 441