Piracy: Common Myths

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And another thing. I don't agree with the whole "you only have the license to use a music CD or a DVD" principle. If I spend hard-earned cash on music or a movie, I should be able to make personal backups for it, but at the same time, I refuse to give backups to anyone else. Same with making ISO images of games I purchase. If GBA Temp is so hellbent on having zero tolerance for piracy, why then does it promote programs like Dios Mios (lite), which *gasp* enables people to back up games into ISO images, which according to US copyright law, is illegal?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And another thing. I don't agree with the whole "you only have the license to use a music CD or a DVD" principle. If I spend hard-earned cash on music or a movie, I should be able to make personal backups for it, but at the same time, I refuse to give backups to anyone else.
That's what "license" means.

Reactions: retKHAAAN

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? I mean that even with a "license", you're not allowed to legally make backups, as per US copyright law. That is something I cannot agree with, and that sure as hell isn't going to stop me from making backups for personal use.
The content is the property of the content creator and/or publisher. You purchase a license to use said content in a manner in which the content creator or publisher allow. If they do not allow copies to be made, you are not allowed to make copies.

Trent Reznor, for instance, has created music for a few years now and handled distribution himself. The license his IP is sold under allows for any and all fair use, in fact, you can use any of his music for any purpose whatsoever as long as you credit him for it and provide a copy of the license.

It's completely up to the content creator/publisher what you're allowed to do with their IP.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The content is the property of the content creator and/or publisher. You purchase a license to use said content in a manner in which the content creator or publisher allow. If they do not allow copies to be made, you are not allowed to make copies.

Trent Reznor, for instance, has created music for a few years now and handled distribution himself. The license his IP is sold under allows for any and all fair use, in fact, you can use any of his music for any purpose whatsoever as long as you credit him for it and provide a copy of the license.

It's completely up to the content creator/publisher what you're allowed to do with their IP.

Meh. That's not going to curtail piracy, neither will DRM. People will do what they do and it's not my problem. Same with backing up games, Dios Mios allows people to rip their games to their HDD, and yet GBA temp frowns upon piracy and/or the circumvention of AP measures.

I'm done here. Piracy is rampant, it will never be stopped, and I don't find anything immoral about making personal copies of a game or DVD you legally obtained. If the disc gets damages, I sure as hell aren't going to fork out the cash to get a new copy.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. That's not going to curtail piracy, neither will DRM. People will do what they do and it's not my problem. Same with backing up games, Dios Mios allows people to rip their games to their HDD, and yet GBA temp frowns upon piracy and/or the circumvention of AP measures.
Not trying to sway you either way. You just seemed confused as to what a license was.

GBAtemp frowns on piracy for self-preservation. If the law didn't care about piracy, neither would GBAtemp. However, to stay "in business" GBAtemp must politick.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And another thing. I don't agree with the whole "you only have the license to use a music CD or a DVD" principle. If I spend hard-earned cash on music or a movie, I should be able to make personal backups for it, but at the same time, I refuse to give backups to anyone else. Same with making ISO images of games I purchase. If GBA Temp is so hellbent on having zero tolerance for piracy, why then does it promote programs like Dios Mios (lite), which *gasp* enables people to back up games into ISO images, which according to US copyright law, is illegal?
In most cases, you can make personal backups of CDs. The problem here isn't piracy, as much as it is bypassing of DRM measures on media. Certain media is exempt from this.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to sway you either way. You just seemed confused as to what a license was.

GBAtemp frowns on piracy for self-preservation. If the law didn't care about piracy, neither would GBAtemp. However, to stay "in business" GBAtemp must politick.

Fair enough. :P

In most cases, you can make personal backups of CDs. The problem here isn't piracy, as much as it is bypassing of DRM measures on media. Certain media is exempt from this.
Well, okay, that makes more sense.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
images

They were wrong about this too.

Oh, and EVERYBODY, and I do mean "everybody" did it.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh really? Alright, smart guy, When was the last time you used a cassette tape?

Thought so. Take your Myth-conceptions elsewhere, pirate scum.

Back in the 90s when we were apparantly killing music. Bullshit.

But I think I missed your point ? I don't get what it is you're trying to say there ?

Incidentally, it wasn't called "piracy" in those days either.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the 90s when we were apparantly killing music. Bullshit.

But I think I missed your point ? I don't get what it is you're trying to say there ?

Incidentally, it wasn't called "piracy" in those days either.

Apparently? The 1990s was the decade that saw the death of Freddy Mercury, the suicide of Kurt Cobain, and the release of the Macarena.

They were right. Pirates were just too selfish to listen.

(And no, it wasn't called piracy, because it's not piracy - it's murder)

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently? The 1990s was the decade that saw the death of Freddy Mercury, the suicide of Kurt Cobain, and the release of the Macarena.

They were right. Pirates were just too selfish to listen.

(And no, it wasn't called piracy, because it's not piracy - it's murder)

You got me. I confess. It was me.
Go easy on me - I was put up to it by Casey Kasem and Jonathon King as part of their plot to gain control of Herbalife.

EDIT

As they say in China,

我的肛門包圍與痔瘡癢,像一個混蛋

Yeah. THAT.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Because GBAtemp has zero tolerance for piracy, not zero tolerance for illegal activity. There's a difference. Making your own backup may be illegal, but I don't think it's piracy.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because GBAtemp has zero tolerance for piracy, not zero tolerance for illegal activity. There's a difference. Making your own backup may be illegal, but I don't think it's piracy.

Exactly, as a site, piracy is frowned upon, but many members admit to doing it. As for backing up ISO images from your movies/games, it's not piracy, but rather the illegality comes from copyright/counterfeit protection circumventing. The FBI, RIAA, etc isn't going to bust down your door for backing up music you bought.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...the point is that many people actively have to try and spot the (slight) difference...
Most people are completely incapable of hearing a difference...
I've never heard anyone (outside of audiophile magazines) complain about quality.
I used to think this way too, for quite a while, but now it's 2013 and eeeeeveryone want to be savvy. Some of us strain more than others to be savvy while others can't stuff their fingers into their ears deep enough to block it out in an attempt at some sanity.

Surely we've all experienced the doofus in the $8k car with the $12k sound system and the 128kbps MP3s blasting out of it at 3am. I stand by my original point of the cymbals sounding like soggy garbage bags sloshing about after being whacked with a dead animal and no sound system in the world is ever going to make that better for him. He probably didn't pirate anything though, likely you'll hear the term 'iTunes' in his reply at which point I'd likely suggest that he actually does begin to pirate music.

All this and I'm hardly an 'audiophile'.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to think this way too, for quite a while, but now it's 2013 and eeeeeveryone want to be savvy. Some of us strain more than others to be savvy while others can't stuff their fingers into their ears deep enough to block it out in an attempt at some sanity.

I spent £200 on a decent set of headphones and then more money again on a DAC and i'll stand by a good codec being able to encode cymbal crash just fine. Tell you what, which songs in 320CBR on a recent LAME codec demonstrate those soggy sounding cymbals? Because the artefacting that usually occurs is pre-echo on cymbal crash and unless you know what it is you probably won't notice it, and if you can notice it in 320 then either you're imagining it, you're reaaaaaaaaaaally looking for it or it's there and it's a difficult song to encode. And bear in mind LAME and MP3 is surpassed by other codecs in today's encoding choices so you're limiting your options if you won't accept any lossy bar MP3.

It's not really relevant here (although i'm sure others would probably interested in the songs you notice the compression on) but i don't think music "piracy" encouraging sales is down to compression issues. I think it's down to people wanting to own something they enjoy. I also think that it could transfer to gaming if prices were a bit lower and they did away with the Platinum/Greatest Hits rebranding. There's just no data on gaming piracy encouraging sales that matches the music data.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Piracy causes job loss.

if I play snes games on a web browser right now, some1 in nintendo is losing their jobs?

if I listen to music on youtube free, some1 is losing money? I have never bought a song or album in my life. all I do is go to youtube and listen to songs. for every song out there, its on youtube.

I always go to wikipedia and check various albums and they always have some cd with extra songs for japan and other stuff. so for the people who do buy some cd's sometimes, they may end up missing out on those extra songs unless they go to itunes or youtube. and sometimes they have itune exclusive songs as well which is why its a dumb idea to buy a cd if your not getting the full thang.

"Japanese release" "japanese bonus tracks"

wtf is up with japan getting the best hidden tracks from USA albums?

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's less of a "we think all forms of piracy are killing the industry and will have no part in it" and more of a "let's not get shut down because some dingus needed help finding Pokemon roms".

Which makes sense because there's already a few other very good sites for finding Roms/Iso (*nohint*) and GBATemp doesn't need to risk it's well established Modding/Homebrew community to become one again.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to add, although people are satisfied with today's quality of music I don't think they wouldn't like some improve. It's just like HD, before it became popular everyone was satisfied with lower resolution videos and I might add that in the beginning many people saw no difference because they didn't know what to expect (because looking if the pixels are smaller is not very intuictive for everyone). But once people got used to it, they realized how much better HD videos really are. To be fair I also noticed something wrong with cymbals sound in some low quality music but I'm a musician (kind of)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on