Hacking Picked up a 3DS 4.5 (& Gateway 3ds)

Super_Kaioken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I was able to get a hold of a 3DS on firmware 4.5 from a local video game store. I also went ahead and purchased a Gateway 3DS. I've read that it's the best/most updated flash cart.

I came here because I need some help getting started. Using a flash cart on the regular DS was so simple, but it seems like things may be more tricky/touchy on the 3DS.

I should backup my nand first right? (So I can downgrade if I accidentally upgrade?).. What would be my next plan of action to be able to run backups of newer 3DS roms? I'd love to play Smash Bros (If it's dumped), and a few other new games.

I appreciate any help, hopefully someone here has the knowledge to get me going and I can avoid doing research and finding wrong info!

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Welcome aboard, I think the easiest way to screw up your firmware is to check your emunand and back out of the Settings into the main menu before updating your emunand. Backing out of Settings at that point backs you out of gateway mode and you are vulnerable to screwing yourself. Just make sure when you are updating your emunand to do it FROM the settings after you check to make sure you're in gateway mode.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, using Gateway is simple, but you should know a few things.

SYSNAND is your original 3DS's system memory. You should have a backup of this one. Also keep it safe, locked away from the internet with no wifi connections saved.
EMUNAND is a copy of your system memory used by Gateway, running from the SD card. You can update this one. It's a good idea to have a backup of it as well.
NOTE: If you enter Wifi settings in your EMUNAND, they'll be copied to your SYSNAND, so remember to go there and delete them.

A very important thing to remember is: When you leave System Settings, the 3DS REBOOTS.
In other words, EVERY TIME YOU QUIT THE SETTINGS YOU'LL BE BACK TO SYSNAND.

Also ALWAYS UPDATE EMUNAND THROUGH SYSTEM SETTINGS. Never use the eshop.

And DO THIS.

Super_Kaioken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the information so far. Is there anything else I should know?

Just so I'm understanding this, I'm updating my EMUNAND which is an "emulated" version of the original and can be updated without hindering the ability for home brew/backups? However, the SYSNAND must stay intact and at the proper firmware for Gateway to run smoothly?

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah correct, just keep an eye out on here and the official gateway website for any news regarding further updates etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?