emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To provide a vaguely serious answer, digital has so many advantages. After getting a Vita, I was surprised at how digital focused my Vita has been via PS+, 8GB ten gaems megapack and my previous PSN purchases. I have a lot of digital shit now, I played Uncharted, Gravity Rush via PS+, played LBP and Wipeout via the megapack and played SOTN from a purchase I made before getting a Vita. Having a dozen gaems or so on the go is pretty sweet and convenient. I can play P4G than switch to Lumines than play Lemmings. It is really awesome to this level of flexibility especially when commuting during the week when I'll be in different moods after a day at the office.

RE: Manuals; even when I buy a physical gaem, there's a good chance in not having a manual. My copies of Muramasa and P4G have no manuals. Which is a good thing cuz it saves teh Earth and all.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To provide a vaguely serious answer, digital has so many advantages. After getting a Vita, I was surprised at how digital focused my Vita has been via PS+, 8GB ten gaems megapack and my previous PSN purchases. I have a lot of digital shit now, I played Uncharted, Gravity Rush via PS+, played LBP and Wipeout via the megapack and played SOTN from a purchase I made before getting a Vita. Having a dozen gaems or so on the go is pretty sweet and convenient. I can play P4G than switch to Lumines than play Lemmings. It is really awesome to this level of flexibility especially when commuting during the week when I'll be in different moods after a day at the office.
Yes, there are many advantages (when done right), but sadly Nintendo doesn't really offer them all.

Usually the advantages are:
- Much cheaper to buy, even on release date (mostly true for PC games, but also for e.g. PS games when you're European and buy them cheaper on the US store)
- Convenience to just download it right away, you don't have to go to a store a wait for the mail to arrive.
- You don't have to change cartridges/discs and it's much easier to have all your games with you as you don't have to carry dozens of cartridges/discs.
- You don't have useless garbage in your room (unless you are a collector of physical things, then this is a disadvantage)
- With account systems and back up functions it's basically impossible to ever lose your games. (Even when e.g. Sony were to go bankrupt and would shut down the servers you could still play your games, because you don't need to be online to play them)
- Situational, but for example you can play your digital copies of PSP games on the Vita but not your physical copies (no UMD slot).
- Also when having account systems it's really easy to "lend" games to your friends by giving them your account data. It even works when you're living far away from each other.
- It's better for our environment (yeah, as if people would care...)

There are also some disadvantages
- You don't have anything in your hand/on your shelves (that's subjective, but many people love it)
- Currently you can't resell your digital games (but e.g. Microsoft currently wants to introduce a digital market to resell or trade back your digital copies so it could be a non issue in the future)
- You can't get them earlier than on the release date (not true for all retail versions as well, though)

Overall I think that even when we're heading to a digital future, companies should offer both digital and physical versions. Many people love physical versions, especially collectors editions which can be very profitable for the companies as well. Although maybe in many years physical collectors editions will include physical stuff and a box, but not the game on a disc/cartridge but instead a download code.

RE: Manuals; even when I buy a physical gaem, there's a good chance in not having a manual. My copies of Muramasa and P4G have no manuals. Which is a good thing cuz it saves teh Earth and all.

The Vita games usually have digital manuals and I surely prefer a colorful and detailed digital manual to the physical "manuals" we get nowadays.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess I meant to say that it makes it easier for Nintento to be able to validate that you're the holder of your games if they're linked to an account.
Except you didn't say that... At all. You very clearly said that Nintendo had this account system that stores your digital games in the cloud, thus making it incredibly easy to recover your games, which is completely false in every way imaginable.

Such misinformation could be really harmful to someone trying to make a decision between 3DS and Vita when digital is important to them, and it's not fair for you to make a wild presumption like that painted as truth. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying.

Furthermore, Nintendo verifying your purchases means nothing. Nintendo has stated that they don't provide "insurance" for lost digital titles, and customer experiences further demonstrate that's the case. The only exception we know is that people have reported Nintendo restoring purchases if you provide a police report that the 3DS was stolen. And even then, Nintendo hadn't made any official statement on that.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after having my ds lite for more than 7 years and still working... also a friend of mine has a launch ds still working. i can honestly say i am not worried about "losing" my games, even then the games are registered to the club nintendo automatically so its not like there is no proof that the games were purchased.

TheHomesk1llet

Also known as "Kupo"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except you didn't say that... At all.
Yeah, I understand that.

Yes, there are many advantages (when done right), but sadly Nintendo doesn't really offer them all.

Usually the advantages are:
- Much cheaper to buy, even on release date (mostly true for PC games, but also for e.g. PS games when you're European and buy them cheaper on the US store)
- Convenience to just download it right away, you don't have to go to a store a wait for the mail to arrive.
- You don't have to change cartridges/discs and it's much easier to have all your games with you as you don't have to carry dozens of cartridges/discs.
- You don't have useless garbage in your room (unless you are a collector of physical things, then this is a disadvantage)
- With account systems and back up functions it's basically impossible to ever lose your games. (Even when e.g. Sony were to go bankrupt and would shut down the servers you could still play your games, because you don't need to be online to play them)
- Situational, but for example you can play your digital copies of PSP games on the Vita but not your physical copies (no UMD slot).
- Also when having account systems it's really easy to "lend" games to your friends by giving them your account data. It even works when you're living far away from each other.
- It's better for our environment (yeah, as if people would care...)

There are also some disadvantages
- You don't have anything in your hand/on your shelves (that's subjective, but many people love it)
- Currently you can't resell your digital games (but e.g. Microsoft currently wants to introduce a digital market to resell or trade back your digital copies so it could be a non issue in the future)
- You can't get them earlier than on the release date (not true for all retail versions as well, though)

Overall I think that even when we're heading to a digital future, companies should offer both digital and physical versions. Many people love physical versions, especially collectors editions which can be very profitable for the companies as well. Although maybe in many years physical collectors editions will include physical stuff and a box, but not the game on a disc/cartridge but instead a download code.

The Vita games usually have digital manuals and I surely prefer a colorful and detailed digital manual to the physical "manuals" we get nowadays.
They got rid of the UMD slot? That's strange. I never really bought digital copies of games for my PSP just because of the availability of physical copies over digital, and that's definitely changed with the times. If I ever get a vita, maybe I should just get digital copies to avoid compatibility issues with whatever the next generation is.

As for the manuals, if I'm understanding correctly, the manuals for physical games are just plain black and white? I haven't checked, seeing as I've gone digital with the 3DS since I picked up my 3DS that came with a digital copy of MK7, and it was just too convenient to pass up. All of the digital manuals are colorful and detailed, but the perks of having a physical copy of the game (if you're a collector of these games, that is. I only collect old video games) is that you can have the entire Nintendo experience, colorful manual, disk, everything. It'd be a huge disappointment if they got rid of the old style manuals.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to say, if it hasn't already been said, that I've never lost a game out of either my Lite or my 3DS while out and about - however, at the same time, I learned from an early age the extensive value of deep pockets with zippers.

Although at the same time, in my society it's also less weird for girls to carry purses around and that's where I store everything now anyway.

I recommend investing in a carrying case if you have this problem with your games. At least if the whole thing falls out of your pocket, you're more likely to notice instead of just the cart.

For reasons everyone has already listed, I don't buy digital games from Nintendo if a physical game is available. I will, however, gladly purchase digital content from Sony and I have a large Steam library, so as soon as Nintendo catches up with the rest of the world, I'll probably buy digital games from them as well just because it's harder to damage software and BC is more likely with digital. (See: Vita)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer digital games. I do love the "smell" and feel of opening that case and taking out the card, and popping the that new Pokemon Platinum. I've done it countless times. However, it's just easier to pick up the new Ace Attorney game by just adding some funds and buying it digitally, and be playing it within 5 minutes, instead of rushing down to the store on release day and waiting line. (that game is digital only anyway but you get my point :P)

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, I buy quite a lot of 3DS games on the eshop, but those are mostly eShop only tittles, like the Guild 01 and Guild 02 games, besides those small games, I only have two retail games, which I got from those Nintendo so many games promotion, one is Monster Hunter and the other is Animal Crossing, since those are games that have a big part with multiplayer it's not so bad to have them only digital.

When I actually have to buy a game though, I always opt for the physical copy, I only have around 14 3DS games, so they don't occupy a lot of space in my games shelf, besides, it's always good to read the manuals, look at the boxes and all that stuff.

Well, I do keep the boxes empty though and have all the cartridges in this thing:

5151-51dfd825d4afe.png

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it depends on your mindset really. While I think i would have rather had Animal Crossing as a digital title, Other games work fine as physical.

BrunoAlvesMontei

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I prefer the physical but when i live they are too expensive so i buy them as digital.

But what i fear is to lose my games if i got stolen or banned :\

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the physical but when i live they are too expensive so i buy them as digital.

But what i fear is to lose my games if i got stolen or banned :\
I'm pretty sure they won't ban you from downloading what you paid for. Just from online play and stuff like that.

Dead End

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question regarding Digital games, I was going to make a separate topic but I figured I'd ask here first.

If I was to download a game like Animal Crossing, if I delete that game temporarily to save space will the save file still be there incase I want to download it later?

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a question regarding Digital games, I was going to make a separate topic but I figured I'd ask here first.

If I was to download a game like Animal Crossing, if I delete that game temporarily to save space will the save file still be there incase I want to download it later?

Yes, but you need to use the save file back up function, I guess.
Also, don't delete it temproary, but instead just copy it on a hard drive (e.g. of a laptop).

Dead End

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but you need to use the save file back up function, I guess.
Also, don't delete it temproary, but instead just copy it on a hard drive (e.g. of a laptop).

Oh yea I forgot about the save backup tool (I haven't had a 3DS in about a year, and I'm about to get a new one in a couple weeks.)
So then what if someone is playing on my 3DS and they delete a game by accident (Or purposefully) if I backup the save using that tool I'll be all good then right?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Furthermore, Nintendo verifying your purchases means nothing. Nintendo has stated that they don't provide "insurance" for lost digital titles, and customer experiences further demonstrate that's the case. The only exception we know is that people have reported Nintendo restoring purchases if you provide a police report that the 3DS was stolen. And even then, Nintendo hadn't made any official statement on that.

That happened to me.
My 3DS was stolen. After getting the police report, scanning it and sending to Nintendo I got my games back,
including the ambassador games.

It's sad that Nintendo doesn't use a account system for e-shop,
that would make things a lot more secure and easier.
I hope they realize that's a step foward and that should be done.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i refuse to buy digital if a physical copy is available. its more versatile that way. you can lend it to a friend, play it on another 3ds, or sell it if you dont want it anymore. plus its still there if your 3ds gets lost or stolen.

in the future i might buy a second 3DS for cartridge games only, just pick 1 game before you leave the house, say tetris, then in the event of loss or theft you would only have lost the value of 1 cartridge and 3DS.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That happened to me.
My 3DS was stolen. After getting the police report, scanning it and sending to Nintendo I got my games back,
including the ambassador games.

It's sad that Nintendo doesn't use a account system for e-shop,
that would make things a lot more secure and easier.
I hope they realize that's a step foward and that should be done.
As per usual, I'm sure they'll realize it 2 generations after everyone else. :rolleyes: I sure hope not, though.

TheHomesk1llet

Also known as "Kupo"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yea I forgot about the save backup tool (I haven't had a 3DS in about a year, and I'm about to get a new one in a couple weeks.)
So then what if someone is playing on my 3DS and they delete a game by accident (Or purposefully) if I backup the save using that tool I'll be all good then right?
I'm pretty sure that the backup feature doesn't work for online games. At least, that's how it works with the Wii. I'd assume that Nintendo would do the same with their newer consoles.

Again, thanks for all your input.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: