Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Sooo... I'm currently playing Trials and Tribulations, and I'm wondering, do I need to play the entire ace attorney series to understand the events in this game?
No, but there are throwbacks and references that you'll miss. If you play the previous games, and THEN play Dual Destinies, it's a much fuller experience.

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
No, but there are throwbacks and references that you'll miss. If you play the previous games, and THEN play Dual Destinies, it's a much fuller experience.
I have played the two before Trials and Tribulations. I guess I should have clarified.
What I meant was, do I need to play the ace attorney games that don't feature Phoenix as the main character? 'Cause I'd rather skip them if they're not hugely plot relevant.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have played the two before Trials and Tribulations. I guess I should have clarified.
What I meant was, do I need to play the ace attorney games that don't feature Phoenix as the main character? 'Cause I'd rather skip them if they're not hugely plot relevant.

AAI not at all. Playing Apollo Justice would be pretty beneficial as references are made to it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You definitely need to play Apollo Justice (AA4), otherwise you don't know what happened that lead to the events in AA5.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You definitely need to play Apollo Justice (AA4), otherwise you don't know what happened that lead to the events in AA5.
Pretty much this. Also, Apollo grows on you. :P

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But make sure you play the investigations game later or if you have time cause it's a really awesome game ^_^

The second even more than the first. Too bad AAI2 is Japanese only, but the first two cases got an English patch and there is a translated, extremely good walkthrough of the game on youtube.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just beated the game, this is what I tought about it:
(SPOILER ALERT: Don't read is if you haven't beaten the game yet)
That's a Phoenix Wright game, but half of it you're playing with Athena and Apollo.

Although I think cell-shaded would suit more the game, the game looks really good.

One of the most annoying things in AA games was to search for evidence in investigation days,
since you never really knew what and where to search making you have to search everywhere and have to read multiple times the same dialog.
Now the examine button is only avaiable when there is need, and there is a check button for everything that have already been investigated,
which is a major step foward to gameplay in my opinion.

It's nice to have those beautiful cutscenes, but the dubbing was so terrible it almost ruined it.
Why didn't Capcom let us play with the japanese voices, except creating subtitles, the effort would be minimun.
What happened to the original Phoenix dubber? In the first 3 games, Phoenix voice sounded so nice every time he hold an objection,
now he has the voice of a youngster. Even worse than it was Edgewoth voice, he sounded like Von Karma, needless to say how weird it is.

There are two characters that I think everybody who have been playing Ace attorney have grown fond of and both of them are out of this game: Maya Fey and Dick Gumshoe.
Many characters don't have appeared since AA4, like Larry Butz, Old Windbad and Franziska Von Karma, and that's natural, but those two I said above were really important,
and there wasn't a case where you haven't seen them, I dare to say Maya was the most important character to the series after Phoenix so playing an AA game without them just doesn't feel right.

There always have been some supernatural powers in AA games, Magatma have always been there, but this game is over the top with it.
Magatma, Appolo's bracelet and now Athena's ability to see someone's emotion from their heart;
I appreciate the trying to change a bit the gameplay but did we really need all these supernatural powers? Wasn't Magatma enough?
But all of that could be simply ignored, because there was something a lot worse than all of these together, that last episode.
That episode could have epical proportions; it conected 3 cases, the killing of Dr Cykes, Mr Terran and the bombing of the courtroom.

Two longstanding rivals, and yet best friends, have once again been confronting each other in the courtroom, after about a decade.
Everything was fine until the last recess of courtroom, when we discovered Bobby Fulbright was the phantom and Simon Blackhill have once again sit in prosecutor bench.

An astronaut afraid of space and a lawyer afraid of courtroom was pretty pathetic

Bobby Fulbright was dead long ago and what we knew was just a faceless spy hiding trough masks.
Having the phantom switching over those thoushand masks were so bad it reminded me of kid cartoons;
even with mediums, human lie detectors and every supernatural stuff in AA games,
they always have been logic and close to reality, and that part really ruined it.

Every trial have a suspect, and alongside with evidence, there have always been something incriminating them,
the murder motive, how something so basic that have been completely ignored in this last case?!
The phantom killed both Dr Cykes and Mr Terran for apparently no reason, since he's only goal was to sabotage Gaxyas.

Bobby Fulbright been the phantom was an outstanding twist plot, but it was ruined just a little later,
since he was just a faceless spy who have killed two important people for apparent no reason,
but that's not even the worse part.

The phantom was emotionless, an ice cold killer who have been fooling everyone in seven years,
but with some simple sentences about love, trust and friendship and he loses it and goes totally mad.
Having him change in such easy way just for the power of emotions was beyond piegas.

To complete the irrational plot, there was a sniper watching for the phantom, and he misses the shot.
Snipers usually have cirurgic precision, a heashot would been certain, but not only he misses the head but he also could do the amazing feet of not hiting any vital organ.

After beating the game I wasn't just dissapointed, I was angry, asking myself why did I pay 30 bucks on this
and wanting to throw my 3DS at the wall.
that last case was a bad joke I couldn't swallow and made me worry about the future of the series.
I just hope the next AA game will be better than this.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Interesting... How necessary is it to play the 1st 3 AA games before dual destinies? I'm still playing through the first one.

To say the truth, it's far more important to play Apollos Justice than any of the Phoenix Wright previous games.
You could understand almost everything about the game just by Apollo's Justice game, but I recommend playing the first three Ace Attorney games.
Ace Attorney Investigations is completely unnecessary for understanding the game.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just beated the game, this is what I tought about it:
(SPOILER ALERT: Don't read is if you haven't beaten the game yet)
That's a Phoenix Wright game, but half of it you're playing with Athena and Apollo.

Although I think cell-shaded would suit more the game, the game looks really good.

One of the most annoying things in AA games was to search for evidence in investigation days,
since you never really knew what and where to search making you have to search everywhere and have to read multiple times the same dialog.
Now the examine button is only avaiable when there is need, and there is a check button for everything that have already been investigated,
which is a major step foward to gameplay in my opinion.

It's nice to have those beautiful cutscenes, but the dubbing was so terrible it almost ruined it.
Why didn't Capcom let us play with the japanese voices, except creating subtitles, the effort would be minimun.
What happened to the original Phoenix dubber? In the first 3 games, Phoenix voice sounded so nice every time he hold an objection,
now he has the voice of a youngster. Even worse than it was Edgewoth voice, he sounded like Von Karma, needless to say how weird it is.

There are two characters that I think everybody who have been playing Ace attorney have grown fond of and both of them are out of this game: Maya Fey and Dick Gumshoe.
Many characters don't have appeared since AA4, like Larry Butz, Old Windbad and Franziska Von Karma, and that's natural, but those two I said above were really important,
and there wasn't a case where you haven't seen them, I dare to say Maya was the most important character to the series after Phoenix so playing an AA game without them just doesn't feel right.

There always have been some supernatural powers in AA games, Magatma have always been there, but this game is over the top with it.
Magatma, Appolo's bracelet and now Athena's ability to see someone's emotion from their heart;
I appreciate the trying to change a bit the gameplay but did we really need all these supernatural powers? Wasn't Magatma enough?
But all of that could be simply ignored, because there was something a lot worse than all of these together, that last episode.
That episode could have epical proportions; it conected 3 cases, the killing of Dr Cykes, Mr Terran and the bombing of the courtroom.

Two longstanding rivals, and yet best friends, have once again been confronting each other in the courtroom, after about a decade.
Everything was fine until the last recess of courtroom, when we discovered Bobby Fulbright was the phantom and Simon Blackhill have once again sit in prosecutor bench.

An astronaut afraid of space and a lawyer afraid of courtroom was pretty pathetic

Bobby Fulbright was dead long ago and what we knew was just a faceless spy hiding trough masks.
Having the phantom switching over those thoushand masks were so bad it reminded me of kid cartoons;
even with mediums, human lie detectors and every supernatural stuff in AA games,
they always have been logic and close to reality, and that part really ruined it.

Every trial have a suspect, and alongside with evidence, there have always been something incriminating them,
the murder motive, how something so basic that have been completely ignored in this last case?!
The phantom killed both Dr Cykes and Mr Terran for apparently no reason, since he's only goal was to sabotage Gaxyas.

Bobby Fulbright been the phantom was an outstanding twist plot, but it was ruined just a little later,
since he was just a faceless spy who have killed two important people for apparent no reason,
but that's not even the worse part.

The phantom was emotionless, an ice cold killer who have been fooling everyone in seven years,
but with some simple sentences about love, trust and friendship and he loses it and goes totally mad.
Having him change in such easy way just for the power of emotions was beyond piegas.

To complete the irrational plot, there was a sniper watching for the phantom, and he misses the shot.
Snipers usually have cirurgic precision, a heashot would been certain, but not only he misses the head but he also could do the amazing feet of not hiting any vital organ.

After beating the game I wasn't just dissapointed, I was angry, asking myself why did I pay 30 bucks on this
and wanting to throw my 3DS at the wall.
that last case was a bad joke I couldn't swallow and made me worry about the future of the series.
I just hope the next AA game will be better than this.
Wow, I didn´t think I would find someone who thinks the same about the game as I do.

It reminds me a bit of Sonic and his sh*tty friends. Only in lawyer suits.

Unlikable characters, "bad" music and the good written jokes when you look at the crime scene or somewhere else are almost entirely gone. And I thought you couldn't ruin a system like that - but it's really possible. Stepladder, where are you?

Blackquill, Athena, Foolbright - all these new characters are totally stupid in my opinion. There is no real deph.

Blackquill: Your Sword is not sharp enough babbling (And that design! And that music!)
Athena: Your sample of any anime girl with a stupid minigame inside
Foolbright: Justice! Justice! Babbling

Where are the unique themes for some unique characters? No, why take some good music when we got 3 Themes that we can play everytime on every other character?

And why include Pearls and Trucy when they never do anything in this game? (DLC not included)

Trucy puts up underwear out of her hat or something - why just skip that and think of a actually good storyline? : (

Hm - that felt good. Im done too. =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?