Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity: Help Wanted

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Weyu, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Weyu
    OP

Weyu GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

This is a project that was started in mid 2014 and it is relatively close to completion.
    Unfortunately, the hacker disappeared at the beginning of this year, leaving only me as the localizer, typesetter and QC person.
    I don't have the tech skills to continue this on my own, which is why I started a thread to call for help.

Edit: JamRules has returned since I made this post, but he might have less availability to work on this due to RL constraints.
    I will leave this thread open. If you think you can help with any of the below (especially the softsubs for the movies and changing the textures/images to English), hit me up. :)

What is already done:
    • Translation:
      100% of the text has been translated, and 70%+ of it has been QCed by me. The last part hasn't been done yet because I didn't have a fully working patch.
    • Typesetting:
      As above, all of it has been done, although there are still some parts that need to be checked.
    • UI:
      Most of it has been changed to accommodate to English, but there are still a few windows and text order/alignment that need a fix.
    • Textures:
      Most have been replaced with English ones where possible.
    What needs to be done:
    • Crash issue:
      While the text can be inserted with the current tool and is mostly working, the hacker said that the recompression was not 1:1 which led to freezes and/or memory leaks in the affected parts.
      What he had to say about it last:
      This is the main issue hindering the progress of this project.
    • UI:
      As said above, there are still a few things that need to be done with the UI to bring it to the level of a professional quality work.
    • Subtitles:
      Last I checked, PPSSPP doesn't work with soft subs. This game has 2 or 3 movies using them, something needs to be done to get English subtitles working with them.
    • Textures:
      Some are still in Japanese because there were no English equivalents (newly added content, see image 7 below). Ideally we will get an artist to create English versions of them, but that is at the bottom of the priority list.
    So to bring this project to completion, I need an experienced romhacker/programmer to fix the buggy part with the recompression.
    You should probably have experience with hacking and working on a program as complex as a PSP game.
    The work will be continued based on the previous hacker's tools and progress, having come so far it'd be illogical to start over from scratch.
    Normally I would ask for permission to use someone else's tools, but the person has been completely out of contact.

While I'm not looking for you turn this into a full-time job, you should be willing to invest a fair amount of time and effort into this (5+ hrs/week) so we can finish it in a reasonable time.
    Quality and commitment are a must.

If you can't help but might know someone who can, feel free to contribute by dropping them a note.

Lastly, this thread is about discussion of the continuation of this project. Please be civil and try to keep idle chat about the previous hacker or delays at a minimum.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let's get PSP2i finished and working! PM me if you think you have what it takes.

Last edited by Weyu, Aug 1, 2017
    Tiaph, Lehux, riesyukira and 7 others like this.
  2. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    I don't have what it takes ( I know absolutely nothing about coding ) but i'll be here to provide a morale boost whenever you need it. good luck.

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  3. k7ra

k7ra GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2016
    Oh man, don't know about this project...
    Sadly can't help you with anything.

4. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    You should just post it. The decompression problem I mean. I would need:

1) your code (decompression, and if you have it, non-working compression)
    2) address in the game where the decompression routine is, if you have it

It sound like most files work and a few files don't, so if you don't know which ones, I would need your unarchiving tool as well to easily access all files to figure it out.

lcie nimbus and thiagoblin like this.
  5. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Good luck, Weyu.

6. Syco

Syco Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Any luck with this

7. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2017
    United States
    So excited for this to get finished someday, Ive been holding off on the game until this got done.