Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, it's not that simple to be honest. I often saw a project which is being abandoned, then was taken over by another group, just to ended up being abandoned once again. People might say "just give me your tools and let me do the job if you don't have time for it", but in reality, once they find out how hard is it to do, they ended up given up as well. Most of the time, they think that the project isn't that big and think that they can do it alone. But then, they found out that it isn't that easy, and in need of a team or a help from other people to finish it. And once they found out how hard is it to gather the required team, they ended up giving up as well.

Yep. Those who want to do it will do it, as seem by the efforts to translate this game twice. Even then, it might not be enough.

GorillaGD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's not that simple to be honest. I often saw a project which is being abandoned, then was taken over by another group, just to ended up being abandoned once again. People might say "just give me your tools and let me do the job if you don't have time for it", but in reality, once they find out how hard is it to do, they ended up given up as well. Most of the time, they think that the project isn't that big and think that they can do it alone. But then, they found out that it isn't that easy, and in need of a team or a help from other people to finish it. And once they found out how hard is it to gather the required team, they ended up giving up as well.

So, the easiest and most simple way to play the game is by learning japanese yourself. With a crash course of 6 months or so, and with the help of dictionary, you may already play any game you want. And not just this game. It's much more simple than waiting for other people to translate the game for you, considering translating a single game requires months or years (even if they continuing other people's project).

But then again, most people are simply TOO LAZY TOO PUT THE EFFORT THEMSELF, and hoping for other people to do the job for them. And if the team didn't perform as well as they hope, they complaining and whining here. Seriously.
Doesn't necessarily mean that "everyone" is going to up and abandon it. Even if it's a rare occurrence that someone with the expertise is going to come along and continue the project some day, at least we'd have the option to start where someone else has left off out there rather then having to restart it from the very beginning (I've seen people outright tell everyone that they deleted all of their resources for a project they were working on when they were close to finishing it) . Especially considering the fact that all Jam has to do is fix the game breaking bug with the patcher, the translation is more or less already finished if I've been reading things correctly so all he'd really have to do is share the translated scripts and let someone else attempt to patch it in.

Last edited by GorillaGD,

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A fair proposition, but it's still up to them. Maybe they moved on and couldn't care less, maybe they're just chilling and have no idea of this discussion.

Let's wait.

Reactions: Weyu

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys,

The delays suck yes, but I just want to say that neither of us has abandoned this and we still intend to see it through.
Jam has told me that he's been trying to reduce his workload so he has more time for other things, such as this project.
I don't know how things will go, but I hope we can get back on track early this year and make some good progress.

So while this is still on the back burner for now, the cooks haven't left the kitchen.

SG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i just started playing PSP2I again.

Is this project still alive at all? Just curious, also sorry for bumping a super old thread.

EDIT: Nevermind, i just read Weyu's post above.

Last edited by SG911,
Reactions: xBladeM6x

Something whatever

Gazer of the East
Trophies
Website
www.pixiv.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

The delays suck yes, but I just want to say that neither of us has abandoned this and we still intend to see it through.
Jam has told me that he's been trying to reduce his workload so he has more time for other things, such as this project.
I don't know how things will go, but I hope we can get back on track early this year and make some good progress.

So while this is still on the back burner for now, the cooks haven't left the kitchen.

Best of luck

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Cleaning stuff on my PC I found this test of PP regen rates on PSP2 and thought why not share. Can't find my PSP2i test in the thread, but it's there, and same stuff applies. Only difference is that I did them at 60fps (~0,016s per frame), since the results were consistent.

Code:
Infinite Storm - 70PP
HM - 527f = 8.432s
HF - 478f = 7.648s
NM - 493f = 7.888s
NF - 449f = 7.184s
CM - 422f = 6.752s
CF - 395f = 6.160s
BM - 580f = 9.280s
BF - 527f = 8.432s

Easy to see how much regen was buffed. I also remember comparing how big was the female buff, and it was something around 6-10%.

If you wonder how long it takes, say, a CF to regen all her PP: (170/70*6,16) = about 14,96s, rounding issues considered.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Props to Weyu. Even though the news he brings has been disappointing dating back 1.5 years (not his fault), dude always has enough moxy to keep his followers informed. He even searched for outside help, but to no avail.

Last edited by LumInvader,

ineedPSP2i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I haven't checked this forum and thread in quite some time, I spent 30 minutes or so catching up. Why does it seem like the worst types of people always pick up big projects? Unless you are deceased or in a comatose state, there is no reason why you can't take five minutes out of your day to post an update...on the project you are working on and have the hopes of a community in your hands! Utterly disrespectful, low class, and unfit to be a project lead in anything. Weyu, and any other translators or people who have provided support to the project, deserve nothing but respect for working under a complete jackass. I remember asking if there was a way to donate to this project as well...lol.

Like I said before, you guys are free to check out PSU Clementine. The water is warm and we don't bite. :P

zxelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's one thing to be frustrated about the translation not coming out, that much is understandable. But it's uncalled for to call jam a complete jackass. No matter how you look at it, he's doing this for free, he doesn't owe you anything, especially not as a bystander. Even then when someone isn't doing their work in a group, you don't call your team mates names anyways. It accomplishes nothing. You're right in that he should still post an update himself, but don't go overboard about it.

Last edited by zxelman,
Reactions: Korma and xBladeM6x

call me Ken or Accel

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Wow, I haven't checked this forum and thread in quite some time, I spent 30 minutes or so catching up. Why does it seem like the worst types of people always pick up big projects? Unless you are deceased or in a comatose state, there is no reason why you can't take five minutes out of your day to post an update...on the project you are working on and have the hopes of a community in your hands! Utterly disrespectful, low class, and unfit to be a project lead in anything. Weyu, and any other translators or people who have provided support to the project, deserve nothing but respect for working under a complete jackass. I remember asking if there was a way to donate to this project as well...lol.

Like I said before, you guys are free to check out PSU Clementine. The water is warm and we don't bite. :P
Nice way to appreciate someone who willingly sacrifice their free time to hack a game, tweak the UIs and make sure the patch doesnt explode when you try to play it
Look at the mirror

ineedPSP2i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now don't misunderstand me guys. I joined this forum nearly three years ago after hearing rumors of a patch being developed, which is what prompted me to sign up. Things slow down, technical or personal problems arise, I understand all this. What isn't understandable and fair is how the project leader can't take a few minutes between a few years hiatus and share news on a huge hurdle to cross, what's happening, if development will be put on hold, if something sudden happened in real life, and so on; a total lack of transparency. When PSU was reborn via Clementine and PSP2i seemed dead in the water, I abandoned any hopes of this coming out, and I'm surprised that the rest of you haven't! Even after all this time, still not a tweet, a sentence, any indication of life whatsoever from the leader. If things have been steadily progressing this whole time, great. If things took a turn for the worst and development ended, also great. Communication and relaying info is what's important, in just about every facet of life. This goes beyond being able to play PSP2i in English, or anything gaming to begin with. This is simply about being a decent human being and realizing it's not cool to draw a crowd to your attention promising big things, but then vanishing. Also, maybe in grade school nothing happens to the guy who doesn't do their work, but in college or the workplace, they can expect a lower grade, a drop in rank/position, or perhaps even the loss of a job. ;)

I'll check this thread again in January 2019, betting that Jam will go another year without an update. Good luck to those of you still waiting, you've got a long few years to go still at this rate.

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh boy.

The project started of their own volition, and will end as such. End meaning whatever they choose to. There's zero to be lost by checking it once in a while and there's a lot to be gained, at no cost so far.

Also work lol

Reactions: IilliI

call me Ken or Accel

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Now don't misunderstand me guys. I joined this forum nearly three years ago after hearing rumors of a patch being developed, which is what prompted me to sign up. Things slow down, technical or personal problems arise, I understand all this. What isn't understandable and fair is how the project leader can't take a few minutes between a few years hiatus and share news on a huge hurdle to cross, what's happening, if development will be put on hold, if something sudden happened in real life, and so on; a total lack of transparency. When PSU was reborn via Clementine and PSP2i seemed dead in the water, I abandoned any hopes of this coming out, and I'm surprised that the rest of you haven't! Even after all this time, still not a tweet, a sentence, any indication of life whatsoever from the leader. If things have been steadily progressing this whole time, great. If things took a turn for the worst and development ended, also great. Communication and relaying info is what's important, in just about every facet of life. This goes beyond being able to play PSP2i in English, or anything gaming to begin with. This is simply about being a decent human being and realizing it's not cool to draw a crowd to your attention promising big things, but then vanishing. Also, maybe in grade school nothing happens to the guy who doesn't do their work, but in college or the workplace, they can expect a lower grade, a drop in rank/position, or perhaps even the loss of a job. ;)

I'll check this thread again in January 2019, betting that Jam will go another year without an update. Good luck to those of you still waiting, you've got a long few years to go still at this rate.
So, you really expecting a fan translation project to be like a corporation work huh?
Wow, that mindset. Please expect this kind of problem when you looking up to fan translation project

Dont wanna be rude enough but please get rid yourself from the internet forever if you still having that mindset

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, you really expecting a fan translation project to be like a corporation work huh?
Wow, that mindset. Please expect this kind of problem when you looking up to fan translation project

Dont wanna be rude enough but please get rid yourself from the internet forever if you still having that mindset
He has a point tho. This has nothing to do with being like a corporation work. a good project updates regularly even if the update is "no progress has been made this moth because X thing happened in my life or Y thing takes too much time". Look at the Digimon World ReDigitize Decode translation update where the update literally was "my harddrive messed up and now progress has been lost" that's faaaaar better than waiting 6 months until you catch up on the lost progress to have something to show again. Transparency is important no matter if you're doing it for the shareholders or as a fanproject.

call me Ken or Accel

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Look at the Digimon World ReDigitize Decode translation update where the update literally was "my harddrive messed up and now progress has been lost" that's faaaaar better than waiting 6 months until you catch up on the lost progress to have something to show again. Transparency is important no matter if you're doing it for the shareholders or as a fanproject.
You need to report that kind of events (the harddrive containing the files gone bad, computer dying, etc) because its directly affect the project
Busy/complication with real life stuff cant be expected and way more complicated

Last edited by call me Ken or Accel,

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You need to report that kind of events (the harddrive containing the files gone bad, computer dying, etc) because its directly affect the project
Busy/complication with real life stuff cant be expected and way more complicated
Still nothing stopping you from making a quick vague update saying stuff happened irl and for now the project is on ice.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's ok to express disappointment toward JamRules for abandoning not one but two separate translation teams (PSP2I & Sol Trigger) over the past 1.5 years, but one must also remember that he doesn't owe the community a single minute of his time.

The discarded team members may feel differently, however...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr