Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Laskeri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've thought about using one of those, since the leveling speed is slightly too slow for my taste but 4x is probably too much. The fact that you can use every Type on one character means that the only thing you're losing out on by only maining one is ~20% difference between the highest and lowest race/gender combo. Which with Rebirths is really not that important lol.

But maybe that's just me. Then again I've never hit level 200.

BahamutBBob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea about textures. Since a lot (but not all) of PSP2 uses lower quality versions of the assets from PSU, would it be possible to use those instead? I don't know how much new stuff PSP2I adds, I'm sorta waiting for this translation to be done before trying it :P

Laskeri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea about textures. Since a lot (but not all) of PSP2 uses lower quality versions of the assets from PSU, would it be possible to use those instead? I don't know how much new stuff PSP2I adds, I'm sorta waiting for this translation to be done before trying it :P

Hm I'm sure that not that many of the textures would be covered, but it is certainly a start.

Though honestly I think that the PSU textures are probably not that much better. Yeah, they're better than PSP2i's but eh.

Last edited by Laskeri,

alexheartless

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad to see that some people are trying hard to translate this game. I remember playing PSP2 online, seaching for the damn rare weapons hahaha. Spend more than 1000 hours and loved it so much. Keep it up guys/girls!!!

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I happened to see a post on the PPSSPP forum:

Just had to make an account to say this. I got it to work on a comp that had the loading glitch by downloading ppsspp on windows 8 (i copied ppsspp from my win 7 to the win 8 and it had eternal loading screen beforehand). Will try with my win 7 when my party member returns to play again!

so eternal loading screen may be a result of downloading ppsspp on win 7/vista (ive had other problems regarding this before).

Edit: No eternal loading screen after i copied the win 8 download ppsspp to my win 7 and joined myself on a mission as i decided to test it before my party member returned.

Has anyone tried this? Would be neat if that solves the loading problem.
Chime in if you run a dual boot or have multiple machines with W7 and 8 and can test the above, if you would.

Taking the liberty to quote myself.
Is anyone willing to try this? It would help me out since I need to reference things in some multi-mode only missions but I can't get past that loading bug.

Reactions: JamRules

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could try to ask the developers directly; I never spoke with Unknown, but Henrik was pretty chill when answering a request via e-mail. AFAIK they are more active on IRC than forums.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you play on PPSSPP, it now supports texture replacement packs as explained here: http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=18963
From the sounds of it, just turning on dumping and then loading your character with the costume should produce the file somewhere, then you can edit it and place it in the replacement location.

Thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately it seems this feature doesn't work with Phantasy Star just yet as PPSSPP crashes from a memory violation after dumping the first texture. The texture replacements may load but figuring out the texture hashes PPSSPP wants would likely take some serious work, especially since the CLUT and pixel data is dynamically created at runtime - the memory locations also change too probably so basically the entire hash will change. (Though depending on how the replacements are loaded it might be possible use the VS debugger to find the filename(s) that PPSSPP could possibly hash generate)

Though if they can get working with Phantasy Star it will be pretty cool,
it seems to work with other games already

Edit: Actually you can get it to work if you enable texture saving from settings after loading your save rather than enabling it from the .ini file

Edit:

Texture replacement does work so it should be possible for someone to put together a HD texture pack which would be very cool. Will likely take ages though
(Running on the base game since I want to just test PPSSPP's texture replacement without interference)

npjh50332_00010.jpg

npjh50332_00008.jpg

This is kind of a weird question, but would it be possible to remove the Fanta Logo from the clothes that have it? I really like the Fanta Custom Dress outfit but it's really annoying seeing product placement on my character.

I know that feels ;)

I could have sworn I read they needed to do texture replacement to complete the translation, though admittedly that could have been PSO2.

Actually your right, the tool does support texture editing because some of the menus contain graphics that needed updated. That said the costume textures use a different format to the menu textures - though I do know how to edit them too

Progress Update

Brief progress update, I haven't been posting much but we're still working on the patch as usual. Weyu has been hard at work on the translations and I have been focusing on addressing some issues to prevent crashes / bugs. There have also been quite a few UI adjustments to account for the English text, check out a few examples below

Item max label

36o.jpg

36m.jpg

Effect level

35o.jpg

35m.jpg

Blessing display - not the best example

33o.jpg

33m.jpg

Extend code display - again not the best example

29o.jpg

29m.jpg

Setting name

24o.jpg

24m.jpg

Storage label - also done for shops which use a different section of code

19o.jpg

19m.jpg

Auto words

11o.jpg

11m.jpg

Mission log

9o.jpg
9m.jpg

Item descriptions

22co.jpg

22cm.jpg

Client requests

7o.jpg

7m.jpg

Last edited by JamRules,

TsunamiVII

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you get the braves custom jacket you have in these screenshots? I loved that jacket since PSU but it was never available.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Professional.

---

Did you kept the texture resolution Jam? You swapped a very low res text for a high detailed image.

The original costume texture was 128x128, the replacement is 512x512 so it's a lot more detailed.
Actually could do with more testing to see how much the texture locations change, hopefully they cycle a set of known positions

How do you get the braves custom jacket you have in these screenshots? I loved that jacket since PSU but it was never available.

I believe it was a password, can't remember what the code is though

Reactions: Fefo and Jeffiroi

Jeffiroi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The amount of time and effort put through this project proves just how much the team (JamRules and Weyu and if I missed out anyone sorry) wants to give everyone, who anticipates this game, a very wonderful time and incredible gaming experience. From the very bottom of my heart, thank you! :yaypsp::gun::psp::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::hrth::toot::grog:

Frederin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Signed up for this site just to talk about Hi-Res textures.

Don't forget that Waifu2x exists:

cafa0550375802c155db93646b495790.png

Edit: Good luck making a texture pack using the standard method of texture replacement on PPSSPP.

Last edited by Frederin,

Laskeri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit: Good luck making a texture pack using the standard method of texture replacement on PPSSPP.

I suppose that's slightly better than PPSSPP's texture upscaling, but there's still some detail lost (mainly the belt and the purple segment of the pants). Beggars can't be choosers I guess,

It's also a case of matching up with the game's style I think, and while sleek character models may fit the aesthetics, if the route of adding detail to landscape/etc textures is taken, there might be too much of a difference. Because realistic character textures doesn't match up with the anime aesthetic lol.

Sorry if I'm not making sense >_>

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow, never heard of it before but that looks like the software does a good job of upscaling.
Especially since manually trying to create hi res textures would take ages.

That said I was wondering how high res textures PSU uses
(possibly 256x256)

I know, would be nice if you could replace textures using the CLUT and pixel data hash without having to know the memory address

Last edited by JamRules,

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now I wonder what is faster, loading all upscaled textures or adding that method to PPSSPP texture filtering. Probably the former, sice AFAIK Waifu2x is very expesive machine-wise; just imagine the input lag.

Automated methods don't look to hot for this, as the ammount of detail isn't improved a lot. Like Laskeri said, beggars can't be chosers, but the result compared to built-in options doesn't look worth the time.

ArtyMarty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Holy crap that looks amazing! Never knew about this. I suppose you could push them through a batch to change all the textures... after you dump every texture in the first place.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap that looks amazing! Never knew about this. I suppose you could push them through a batch to change all the textures... after you dump every texture in the first place.

Unfortunately dumping all the textures kind of requires equipping every costume and weapon so that they are loaded into ram so that PPSSPP can calculate the relative CLUT and pixel data hash. Basically it'll take ages.

And the RAM position needs checking to see if it cycles known positions otherwise it will be very difficult

If the RAM positions are known then another way to setup the textures is to dump all the textures from the game files, construct the pixel data and merge the CLUT as the game would to create the full textures used per pallette and then mimic PPSSPP to create the same hash as it would.

Last edited by JamRules,

Frederin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The method of replacing the textures would have to be different from using PPSSPP's standard texture replacement system. The reason for this is that while choosing anything from the color wheel, a new texture is generated for every single color variation.

It'd be best to just to patch the game directly.

-edit-

In regards to the loss in detail, you'll simply have to redraw those parts yourself.

I actually did this with Black Rock Shooter, as well as Peace Walker. :D

Last edited by Frederin,

Valduran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking the liberty to quote myself.
Is anyone willing to try this? It would help me out since I need to reference things in some multi-mode only missions but I can't get past that loading bug.

I'm very curious to know as well. I've actually ended up learning Japanese for real in the time that it's taken the project to get this far (What can I say, I couldn't wait. xD)... but I've been holding off on actually playing until PPSSPP gets it working in Multimode. But maybe it'd be better if someone just put up an official request on the PPSSPP github. xP

Reactions: Weyu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true