Gaming Petition - Localize Dragon Quest Monsters 3D for America and Europe

Jaspiter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest is a really niche series. I don't believe they will release it outside of Japan, but it is not impossible...

Anyway, just my personal opinion, there is a reason these games don't sell much, and the reason is they are not good enough, especially for their price. Sure, they may scratch some niche itch for a few people, but these games are expensive and they need volumes to break even, and i just don't see them...

DQVII... DQVIII...DQM1 + 2 + J... all the ports to DS and PS2... need I go on. It's FAR from a niche title. If DQ is niche, then so is Final Fantasy, and if DQM is niche, then so is Pokemon. These games came before both of those heavy hitters and the franchise still stands tall today. It set the framework for JRPGs, sure FF is popular here, but DQ is ALOT more popular there. The only reason DQ isn't popular in the west is because of Square's Japan-centric advertising. Not to mention not that many people in the west cared about FF until 7, god knows why. Until then DQ was the series of choice.

That being said, I don't think this 75-man goal petition will really make any difference. Besides I enjoyed Cobi's Journey alot more ^^

BortzANATOR said:
Monsters are totally bad ass in this game, as opposed to 65% of pokemon. They are taken from the DQ series games, and used as the main focus of the "Monsters" games. And since game one, the biggest thing wasnt collecting monsters, even though it was vitally important to the game, it was breeding. Breeding is the core of this game, catching monsters, breeding them, and making much more powerful ones that you could imagine. I guess thats one of the reason im so appathetic against the pokemon "breeding" system. Its so much work, so much grinding for such a marginally different pokemon. The scope of power and flow of the Monster games is much better set up for this sort of thing. And its the only way to get the most powerful monsters in the game.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Breeding is what sets DQM apart from Pokemon. Where Pokemon gives you ~150 (disregarding black 2 and white 2) Pokemon to catch and mate, each with 4 moves, DQ gives you 200, each with upwards of 10 moves that breed into a completely badass new monster with another 10 different moves to learn. The strategy in DQ battles is alot more deep than Pokemon's "mash A spam Flamethrower on this Bug Trainer", as you use 3 monsters at a time rather than 1, and however many monsters oppose you, each have difference weakness, buffs, and strengths. And breeding, don't get me started.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
DQVII... DQVIII...DQM1 + 2 + J... all the ports to DS and PS2... need I go on. It's FAR from a niche title. If DQ is niche, then so is Final Fantasy, and if DQM is niche, then so is Pokemon. These games came before both of those heavy hitters and the franchise still stands tall today. It set the framework for JRPGs, sure FF is popular here, but DQ is ALOT more popular there. The only reason DQ isn't popular in the west is because of Square's Japan-centric advertising. Not to mention not that many people in the west cared about FF until 7, god knows why. Until then DQ was the series of choice.

That being said, I don't think this 75-man goal petition will really make any difference. Besides I enjoyed Cobi's Journey alot more ^^

Final Fantasy sells about x10 more than DQ in the west, in general. There are exceptions of course, like the DQIX, but the rule is that Final Fantasy is far more mainstream than DQ in the west. Especially in terms of spinoffs. So yeah, any AAA series that struggles to constantly sell more than 0.5-1 million per title, is niche...

Another problem with DQ is that is far too archaic. FF is evolving, for good or bad, but it is constantly changing ideas. While DQ, is essentialy a NES game with newer graphics... Gaming has evolved since those times. The NES and SNES games had this kind of gameplay simply because they lacked the technology for anything greater. As hardware evolved, RPG gameplay evolved as well... Of course some people prefer old school gameplay with prettier graphics, but they are far from the majority... This is the definition of niche...

Jaspiter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy sells about x10 more than DQ in the west, in general. There are exceptions of course, like the DQIX, but the rule is that Final Fantasy is far more mainstream than DQ in the west. Especially in terms of spinoffs. So yeah, any AAA series that struggles to constantly sell more than 0.5-1 million per title, is niche...

Another problem with DQ is that is far too archaic. FF is evolving, for good or bad, but it is constantly changing ideas. While DQ, is essentialy a NES game with newer graphics... Gaming has evolved since those times. The NES and SNES games had this kind of gameplay simply because they lacked the technology for anything greater. As hardware evolved, RPG gameplay evolved as well... Of course some people prefer old school gameplay with prettier graphics, but they are far from the majority... This is the definition of niche...

A franchise with over 15 games with heavy western advertising outsells a 15 game franchise with almost no western advertising? Who would've thought! When was the last time you saw a commercial for a dragon quest game? SE is dominated by Squaresoft and Square's franchises carry the company

Again, There are more Nintendo consoles and Playstation 1s sold in Japan compared to the US. DQ and FF dominate those two consoles and DQ has sold more than FF. Just because a title is niche to you does not make it niche. You say DQ fans are the minority and yet the sales figures speak otherwise. Maybe you just don't know what niche is. Drakengard is niche. Persona is niche. Disgaea is niche. Dragon Quest is not niche.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu