Gaming Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Time for a Fan Translation?

GDW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I've found my mystery characters. They exist after all! They're just Cantonese. Wink wink nudge nudge no spoilers.

哎喂哪嘞咩囉你閒

This means the font tables are all worked out.

I've attached the tables against the event of my demise! They're stored in UTF-16 files.

Attachments

• P2 Font Tables.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 297

GDW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bit of an update for consistency's sake:

I've been working on boring algorithms. Work to compress CRI files is ongoing, as well as a lot of varied testing with ISO repacking under various conditions.

Nothing has been discovered in the way of text.

Word of the day:

ex·cit·ing
/ikˈsītiNG/
adjective

1. causing great enthusiasm and eagerness.​
    "an exciting breakthrough"

GDW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CRI compression is officially implemented. I'm not sure why it's apparently never been done before on the Internet, but there we are.

My compressed files aren't (yet) quite as tightly packed as the original compression, but that will improve (and has to for the project to continue) as I compare small optimizations. The main point here is that the compressed files unpack correctly and losslessly on the PSP, meaning tl;dr the game works.

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CRI compression is officially implemented. I'm not sure why it's apparently never been done before on the Internet, but there we are.

My compressed files aren't (yet) quite as tightly packed as the original compression, but that will improve (and has to for the project to continue) as I compare small optimizations. The main point here is that the compressed files unpack correctly and losslessly on the PSP, meaning tl;dr the game works.

So good to hear that!! Now all we need is a Translator...*wishes he knew Japanese*

astroprogs

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I'm really really glad this project is continuing, i was getting kinda worried since there were no updates for awhile :unsure: .

Keep it up GDW, and thank you for your hard work :bow:.

Diag

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oh this would be so awesome if this game will run one day in english on the psp, thank you so much for the work you put into it and i hope it will be a success :) this game is (besides type-0) my most-wanted game (i played innocent sin psp and eternal punishment psx but the psp versions just feel so much better), i´ll cheer for you :D

bladerog

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh, man, I appreciate all the hard work you are doing in this project!
Keep it up, for the sake of us, players.
I wish I could help at something but I don't even know how to romhack or translate Japanese.. ;w;

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
you guys started a translation ? amazing :D, i am actually happy for you :D, i hope it goes well, if you need any help hit me up.

Mikah Wyroar-Kun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I worship you brave souls more than god for your kind attempts for translating this game.Thank you,and I wish I could be more helpful than shouting my words of praise.Godspeed or turtlespeed,it's up to you gentlemen,Thanks a blunch

ArkBlitz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
azkware.ticoblogger.com
XP
Country
I've noticed one important detail that is missing from the translation project, and that is the voice acting. I haven't played Persona 2: Innocent Sin, but if it's like the PSP version of Persona 1, there are voiced characters in P2:IS that may or may not appear in P2:EP. Also, I suspect there are brand-new characters that haven't been voiced anywhere besides of the Japanese version. What is the plan in that case?

1. Leaving all the voices as they are now, including those that might be imported?
  2. Importing the voices available in P2:IS and leaving the rest in Japanese?
  3. Importing the voices in P2:IS and fan-dubbing the rest with fingers crossed?

GDW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've noticed one important detail that is missing from the translation project, and that is the voice acting. I haven't played Persona 2: Innocent Sin, but if it's like the PSP version of Persona 1, there are voiced characters in P2:IS that may or may not appear in P2:EP. Also, I suspect there are brand-new characters that haven't been voiced anywhere besides of the Japanese version. What is the plan in that case?

1. Leaving all the voices as they are now, including those that might be imported?
  2. Importing the voices available in P2:IS and leaving the rest in Japanese?
  3. Importing the voices in P2:IS and fan-dubbing the rest with fingers crossed?
I haven't taken a hard look at the voice files, but I believe that the format is more widely documented than any other files in the game. I don't foresee there being any problem with doing a dub, assuming a project moves forward to that stage.

ArkBlitz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
azkware.ticoblogger.com
XP
Country
I'm currently playing Persona 1, about halfway of the story by now, and then I'll go for Persona 2: IS. Do you think the translation will make it on time for me to play the PSP version of P2:EP instead of the PSX one?

icantfeelmyarms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently playing Persona 1, about halfway of the story by now, and then I'll go for Persona 2: IS. Do you think the translation will make it on time for me to play the PSP version of P2:EP instead of the PSX one?

I don't think so. Unless you take a long time playing through both, then maybe... but I highly doubt it, because people have been discussing a patch for EP since it became known it wasn't coming to the west on PSP.

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like the PS1 version is bad, just flawed. It still has a good translation, just with a v e r y s l o w text crawl and lots of ... ellipses... .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back