R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
I moved into a student house a couple weeks ago, the internet was fine for two weeks until today now that everyone has moved in (5 people). Youtube videos are always buffering and the worse is I can't play any online games now like Cod because my ping is always 600-999. What can I? This is ruining my sad life!!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pretty much the only thing you can do is tell them to stop torrenting stuff all the time. If you can, switching from wifi to cable may work.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My usual solution here was become nocturnal, possibly also use the university systems with their very shiny internet connections. This was a few years ago though and I imagine it is worse now that most students have probably spent their entire teens with internet videos and more.

Anyway I assume a bandwidth upgrade is not going to happen (Virgin do seem to be doing ones for £26 a month and on a 9 month basis). I hope you have a real router, or the option to make one. You can start by setting up some QOS (quality of service) and/or guaranteed bandwidth. The latter tends to be reserved for real routers (so not your cheap and cheerful piece of netgear junk) and the former is basically a myth (it can work, it is not pretty though) but can exist on home routers. If people are on wireless then I have seen options for guest networks to be bandwidth limited. Change the guest to be the current wireless, limit that and make the main your own.

Aside from buying in a big boy router you can also build such a device. http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html has a version of Linux to do just that. Personally I would install it as my router (ADSL PCI cards do exist) but you may also have the option of installing it, setting up the rest of the network to run through that (and onto the normal router) and messing things around there.

Do be aware that many people can get quite touchy when you do things like this, and even if they are not tech savvy enough to work it out it takes just one of them to bring a hacker friend back that tugs the wires (or one inevitable outage as you can not afford/source/power gear that is likely to have an uptime in the months range and some bright spark can not fix it by turning it off and on again).

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything you can do to throttle torrenting if you know the router admin password?
Got it, look for the QoS options.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get your own Modem?

We had unlimited 6mb upload/1mb download for $19 a month from clear. It's not massively fast but it was hella cheap considering we could bring it pretty much anywhere it got signal. They raised it to $45 a month when sprint bought clear.:angry:

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got a rooted android device, there's an app called wifikill which lets you disable the internet connection to individual devices. It also shows you how much bandwidth each device uses, so you could only kill the hoggers.
Worked wonders at school :tpi:
I would play with them a bit using dsploit and faceniff so they can think their accounts were hacked :creep:

Reactions: lufere7

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got a rooted android device, there's an app called wifikill which lets you disable the internet connection to individual devices. It also shows you how much bandwidth each device uses, so you could only kill the hoggers.
Worked wonders at school :tpi:
This was going to be my suggestion.

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
I found a solution but it's pretty evil, mac addresses, find out mine, disable rest fwafwafwafwa (My evil laugh) But I feel bad so I only do it late or if they are really taking the pi** with the internet.

A few of you mentioned QoS, I might look into it because it's more humane lol.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I found a solution but it's pretty evil, mac addresses, find out mine, disable rest fwafwafwafwa (My evil laugh) But I feel bad so I only do it late or if they are really taking the pi** with the internet.

A few of you mentioned QoS, I might look into it because it's more humane lol.

yep, find a good router with QoS, and\or try to limit their bandwith...

also, if they are sucking your internet and making your experience ruined, i dont know how it works in there, but if you have an internet contract (and its not public internet) the fair thing to do is they help paying the bill, its your right to block mac adresses from people who makes your service (that you payed) not usable... and it doesnt make you "less human" if they want internet, they pay for it...

if the internet is public\free (or everyone already pays a part of it) and you don't own the contract.. well.. only thing is buy that QoS router and put a bandwith threshold.... so everyone gets "water from the pump, at the same rate"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true