Hacking Partioning Hardrive to play wii games and Gamecube

Cmjsmith10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sounds like a win to me. I'd seriously consider swapping to a dual partition, one with NTFS for the Wii games, that way you don't have to bother with splitting the disc images (something that seems to be a tad unstable, at least for me). But either way that's just my personal preference, so it's nice that you've got it up and running. Have fun playing!
crazy it turned out to be that simple i been trying to figure it out for hours.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sounds like a win to me. I'd seriously consider swapping to a dual partition, one with NTFS for the Wii games, that way you don't have to bother with splitting the disc images (something that seems to be a tad unstable, at least for me). But either way that's just my personal preference, so it's nice that you've got it up and running. Have fun playing!
I haven't had any problems splitting disc images. Also, FAT32 has slightly less overhead, so technically you can get slightly better performance with it, though it's very minor if at all noticeable.

Cmjsmith10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any problems splitting disc images. Also, FAT32 has slightly less overhead, so technically you can get slightly better performance with it, though it's very minor if at all noticeable.
I prefer one big drive instead of having to swap partions makes it alot easier for my kids to play. I wanted one big drive to start and am glad i figured it out. Thank you all so much for the help too.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what I want to try and do. Some time ago, I attempted it, but either Nintendont locked up, or Wii games locked up. Don't recall the reason (might have been an older version of Nintendont), but if updated versions allow it, then I'll give it another go.
Yeah, give it a shot. If you've been doing any amount of keeping up on stuff it should be pretty simple.

Cmjsmith10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, I know the feeling. I practically pulled my hair out on my first go trying to sort it all out. Oh, and welcome to GBATemp by the way (just noticed your join date).
thank you everyone here has been awesome. I have had so many issues since i hacked my wii that i couldn't figured out and you have all been able to help in a matter of a few hours for the most part from day one.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer one big drive instead of having to swap partions makes it alot easier for my kids to play. I wanted one big drive to start and am glad i figured it out. Thank you all so much for the help too.
Glad you got it figured out. Though you wouldn't have had to do any "swapping" with multiple partitions. It would have just been you have a FAT32 Primary partition first and a NTFS Primary partition second. Then you have USB Loader set to use multiple partitions and use NTFS for Wii backups and FAT32 for Nintendont. Once it was set up, you wouldn't have had to worry about it.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the nice thing about USBLGX, even with Nintendont, is that it "swaps" partitions for you, it's all automatic. Something to consider.
thank you everyone here has been awesome. I have had so many issues since i hacked my wii that i couldn't figured out and you have all been able to help in a matter of a few hours for the most part from day one.
No prob ^^

Cmjsmith10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad you got it figured out. Though you wouldn't have had to do any "swapping" with multiple partitions. It would have just been you have a FAT32 Primary partition first and a NTFS Primary partition second. Then you have USB Loader set to use multiple partitions and use NTFS for Wii backups and FAT32 for Nintendont. Once it was set up, you wouldn't have had to worry about it.
oh ok i get you. I guess i was more confused than anything good thing i had all my games backed up to my computer. Now im just waiting forever to get to get it all back on my harddrive.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok i get you. I guess i was more confused than anything good thing i had all my games backed up to my computer. Now im just waiting forever to get to get it all back on my harddrive.
Yeah, TecXero summed that up far better than I did XD . But he is nonetheless spot on. It's all pretty seamless stuff these days.

Cmjsmith10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got another quick question can you have GameCube games to save to sd card instead of having to have a gamecube memory card. If so how?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, TecXero summed that up far better than I did XD . But he is nonetheless spot on. It's all pretty seamless stuff these days.
I spent hours trying to get miso dios work until someone told me about nintondent. I admit i like it so much better and had it working in no time. Only wish I'd fount it sooner

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got another quick question can you have GameCube games to save to sd card instead of having to have a gamecube memory card. If so how?
Go to "Settings" in USBLGX and go to "Loader Settings". Scroll down to the Nintendont section and enable "Memory Card Emulation". And yeah, Nintendont is certainly the king of GameCube backups at this point :P

Cmjsmith10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha, yeah, I know the feeling. Not a lot of people understand why I put time into it, or why I mod or make small mods for Skyrim. I just want a better experience and to push that envelope.
I have to admit my kids probably love it more than me. They wanna play 24/7 and there just 5 and 3

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well im out folks it almost 130 am here and i got work at 7 am. Thank you all again for the help.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to admit my kids probably love it more than me. They wanna play 24/7 and there just 5 and 3
Same with my nephews. They're a bit older than your two, but they love the dang thing (though now it's solely in my care as my sister has moved and refused to make me part with the hardware :P ). At this point though, it's been essentially reduced to being exclusively used while on the go, as it's small and portable and easy to set up at a friend's house or something. I mostly emulate my Wii and GameCube games with Dolphin these days, since you can get full HD resolution with it (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both look stunning in HD). I just bounce save files for Wii and GameCube between the emulator and the console and it's never given me trouble in doing so (save for that one time I borked it and accidentally erased my ancient Star Fox Adventures savedata XD ). And no prob, have fun and sleep well.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Arecaidian Fox posted, you can enable Memory Card Emulation. Just so you know, it will be stored as the same partition as your ISOs. So if you're running them from your HDD, the memory card images will be stored on the HDD as well.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Arecaidian Fox posted, you can enable Memory Card Emulation. Just so you know, it will be stored as the same partition as your ISOs. So if you're running them from your HDD, the memory card images will be stored on the HDD as well.

My saves are on SD and games on HDD. Are you sure it doesn't save them to the partition Nintendont is on?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My saves are on SD and games on HDD. Are you sure it doesn't save them to the partition Nintendont is on?
Maybe it checks both and reads/saves to either if the image is found. My copy of Nintendont is on my SD, but my NGC games and memory card image is on my USB HDD.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
So I went back, updated Nintendont from my old version (since I hadn't touched GC games for a while), and now it seems all is working, using USB Loader GX as the menu for my GC and Wii games, both types on the same drive, same FAT32 partition, though it was very particular about which USB port to use (if console is lying flat, it's the top USB that worked for me). It even has autobooting working (which is something the last version didn't like).

Though updating Nintendont now has ULGX complaining that it can't verify it, I can load it anyways and it still works. The one thing mentioned on the GBATemp page for Nintendont though is that I can only have one drive connected for it to work, meaning I can't have both my GC/Wii stealth drive and my Wii U drive connected together at the same time. I believe I can have both connected if I just want to play Wii games, but not GC games. Well, I can always just swap drives connected through my Y-cable when I want to switch between the two (as I also use an ethernet adapter, so I'd only have one port left anyways, and my USB hubs have been having problems lately).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans