Parents making a big deal over swearing!

deakphreak

Spiffy Hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do think it depends on the situation. 14 is an age where the kid can be influenced greatly and it does make sense for the parents to be extra mindful of what the kids are doing and hearing. They are just trying to be good parents and trying to do what they think is best for their kid. Just gotta keep that in mind. I don't believe that people that swear out of habit or whatever reason just needs to stop, just that we need to determine the best choice of words depending on the situation we are in.

The parents at the gym could have simply gone somewhere else. If they were there doing some working out and then some kids come over by them and start cussing up a storm... that is just rude. If they were there first and the parent / kid went over by them, then they had no right to complain about the vocabulary. (Edit: I shouldn't say they don't have the right to complain because excessive cussing should not be done in the general public anyway)

Last edited by deakphreak,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see your point but anyone can say whatever they want to be honest. We're all different I have the right to say anything I want plus kids in public school will learn anything so really what's the point of protecting from cursing they're eventually going to know.

societies binding rules don't really support excessive and public swearing so society, in this case, someone with their child, shunned you. and chances are that quite a few people who aren't like dumb children, would support that persons view.
you seemingly dont want to be shunned, you wouldn't have made the effort to start this topic if it didn't have any effect on you. you want positive reinforcement from us that it's ok to continue your cursing.
the right course of action should be clear as day, but you actually don't want to be shunned by society while still cursing excessively and in public. and then you draw out some really weak arguments like 'its not like i'm the only one and he'll hear anyways'.
whats the point of curing people with illness or protecting them from being killed, they'll die eventually anyway.
whats the point of flu shots, they don't have a 100% success rate.

now ask yourself, what do you actually have to lose when you stop the cussing or at least keep it to yourself?

I kinda thought about that. That should be dealt with by the parents. The kids is 14. Not 9. If you're going for a quick 1 hour workout, I'm sure the kid can fend for himself. I am 13 and live on my own. ( Please PM me if I need to explain. Don't call off on that yet. ) Nothing happened to me.

the kid might've actually been a member? several of my peers started going to a gym around that age.

The main problem I have with this is that it is people who decide what words are considered vulgar.
what if the word "Halo" was to suddenly be considered a vulgar word, then would people stop using that word in public freely?

real words have changed into supposedly less acceptable words before
the word "gay" is a great example. it changed meaning and look what happened. when is the last time somebody used that word in a sentence describing having a great day? (excluding watching Flintstones episodes)

I must be incapable of understanding why any words should be labeled as offensive/bad/vulgar?
it is just a word after all and other words that mean the same thing need to used in the place of a bad word for some reason when it means the same thing most of the time.

society decides what words are vulgar, but a word doesn't suddenly turn vulgar from one day to the next. its a process and unless a large number of people use the word halo in that specific way, it will never turn vulgar. but if they did, of course people would take it out of their every day conversations. just that it won't. ever. it has way too many positive connotations,

gay is not less acceptable word. you can use gay without a problem in the context of homosexuality OR even in the not much used 'happy and good' way if you want too. but you can use the word in a sentence where it's clearly understandable you use the word as an insult. thats not accepted.
i'm almost 100% sure what you actually mean is the word fag, which is never used for its original meaning anymore and has completely turned into a slur and insult.

so whats so hard to understand here? words are labeled as offensive and vulgar WHEN THEY'RE EXCESSIVELY BEING USED IN AN OFFENSIVE AND VULGAR WAY.

rarely do we invent a new word to insult people, we slowly change the general meaning of an existing word, add new meaning to it and when it happens to overshadow its original meaning, we stop using it because its ridiculous to believe anyone who uses the word fag is actually talking about cigarettes or bundles of sticks. or is meaning it in a friendly way.

really... its truly not rocket science

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: TerryG and frogboy

deakphreak

Spiffy Hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
societies binding rules don't really support excessive and public swearing so society, in this case, someone with their child, shunned you. and chances are that quite a few people who aren't like dumb children, would support that persons view.
you seemingly dont want to be shunned, you wouldn't have made the effort to start this topic if it didn't have any effect on you. you want positive reinforcement from us that it's ok to continue your cursing.
the right course of action should be clear as day, but you actually don't want to be shunned by society while still cursing excessively and in public. and then you draw out some really weak arguments like 'its not like i'm the only one and he'll hear anyways'.
whats the point of curing people with illness or protecting them from being killed, they'll die eventually anyway.

now ask yourself, what do you actually have to lose when you stop the cussing or at least keep it to yourself?

Well said and great points!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find people who swear in public to be pretty trashy.
Get a better vocabulary. I swear pretty bad when i'm at home playing some games with friends. But in public? Not a word.
I guess I have self respect though.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

ErikH526

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I see your point but, I couldn't care less if someone was cursing excessively it's their right plus it's none of my business. I honestly don't really care about shunned from society plus I was shunned at school for being different and people treated me like shit for no reason. I do mind my own business but I hate nosy people telling you what not to say is pretty stupid. Plus I like being Anti-Social I don't like dealing with many people anyway. The internet does make it easier to talk about stuff.

Reactions: Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I find people who swear in public to be pretty trashy.
Get a better vocabulary. I swear pretty bad when i'm at home playing some games with friends. But in public? Not a word.
I guess I have self respect though.
Is it because of bearcanrock you find these people trashy? I tend to let out a few words in public because of how sh--- crappy people treat me in public.

deakphreak

Spiffy Hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call people who swear trashy. Maybe they don't realize the affect on others, have a bad habit of it or that is how they grew up, so it's not really fair to call them trashy. They just need to learn when and where like Minox said. They may never learn that if they don't know or don't care how they are affecting others or how others see them.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The main problem I have with this is that it is people who decide what words are considered vulgar.
what if the word "Halo" was to suddenly be considered a vulgar word, then would people stop using that word in public freely?

the word "gay" is a great example. it changed meaning and look what happened. when is the last time somebody used that word in a sentence describing having a great day? (excluding watching Flintstones episodes)

I must be incapable of understanding why any words should be labeled as offensive/bad/vulgar?
it is just a word after all and other words that mean the same thing need to used in the place of a bad word for some reason when it means the same thing most of the time.

Cause people are fools.
Words change meaning and usage pretty much every decade.
A faggot used to be a bundle of sticks.
It also used to be a fried roll of chopped liver.

Honestly, I can't care less about people swearing.
It's becoming annoying with people do nothing but swearing.
I know, for example, some people who use a single swear word more then 10 times in one sentence.
It's those people who need to learn to censor them selves.

An occasional fuck is fine.
Atleast TRY to filter it a bit.

You don't want to be compared to a chav.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it because of bearcanrock you find these people trashy? I tend to let out a few words in public because of how sh--- crappy people treat me in public.

Nope because it makes you sound trashy with a narrow vocabulary. When you talk like a 12 year old playing Call of Duty in public, you should feel shame.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see your point but, I couldn't care less if someone was cursing excessively it's their right plus it's none of my business. I honestly don't really care about shunned from society plus I was shunned at school for being different and people treated me like shit for no reason. I do mind my own business but I hate nosy people telling you what not to say is pretty stupid. Plus I like being Anti-Social I don't like dealing with many people anyway. The internet does make it easier to talk about stuff.

i'm pretty sure that empty cussing isn't actually protected by the right to free speech (which i guess is what you mean when you say its their right). and everyone has the right to tell you to cut it out.

you do care. you never hear from people that don't care because they don't care enough to say something.
you feel that that parent was nosy, but you were, objectively speaking, rude by cursing randomly in public space. rude beats nosy as far as that goes.

no one likes being anti-social, dont kid yourself. its human nature to want to be part of a group, may it be the general population of your country, friends with the people in class, the other (usually self proclaimed) ourcasts who you're being anti social with together, or part of an online forum like this. doesn't have to include much interaction, but you don't want to be the opposite of social. you might just not have the means (self confidence, time, courage) to be actively social for now, or not actually realize that you're trying to socialize right here by looking for the people who agree with you on this topic. so its easier to say that you're ok with being a bit alone and anti social by choice.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Nope because it makes you sound trashy with a narrow vocabulary. When you talk like a 12 year old playing Call of Duty in public, you should feel shame.
I am a 12 year old Call of Duty cursing skrub. Except, I'm 14. HAHA XD But, I don't do it on purpose. It's a habit.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, there really IS a relevant XKCD for everything.

https://xkcd.com/1357/

tl;dr just because you -can- cuss your head off in public doesn't mean you -should-. Just like you shouldn't scream at the top of your lungs at people, even though you can. Because if you do, you're probably an asshole.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dang it. I have been away from that site for a while now and you sucked me right back in. Goodbye getting any work done the rest of the day!
In the interest of being a bastard
http://www.actsofgord.com/
http://www.darwinawards.com/

and if we are doing relevant XKCD
https://xkcd.com/243/

Anyway some interesting responses. I can not say swearing bothers me in the slightest as the reasoning for things to be swear words is so abstract and nonsensical. That said I much prefer to not use it to make it far more potent or far more amusing if I do, I especially enjoy a nice bit of deadpan delivery after I have led people to assume I am reserved and polite.

I am not sure how to end this so GG Allin it is

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should all be taken in to account the context it is used. When used properly, certain obscene words can add real emphasis to the statement. The problem is... most people lack the real understanding or basic grammar to use them properly. My own brother for example is absolutely one of the worst people in the word for trying to use obscenities to show frustration or anger or his weird adventures with women (which physically make me sick to hear about. they are pretty disgusting.) I myself am able to use the word fuck like it main stay in my own language. BUT... there is a time and a place for such language. When there is even a remote chance that a little kid will be present, I tend to reign in my tongue. Thankfully my son has enough sense to know that his father talks like a drunken sailor and not to repeat the shit coming out of my mouth. Time and place. That is all I am saying.

On the subject of the dude getting in your business about you using it. I personally feel that he should have went to another machine out of earshot if it bothered him so much. This is like some asshole walking up to me when I am stationary (and have been long before they arrived or they walk over to me standing out of the main line of traffic) to tell me my smoking bothers them. I politely tell them that "I was here first, you made it a point to come to me and I did my best to make sure not to subject others to my habits. But since they are a fucking moron and obviously want to start some shit, I am more than happy to oblige them." Then I give them a look like "Oh yeah motherfucker. I have been waiting all day on some dumb fuck to get in my shit so I can break a foot off in their ass. Hope you like size 14 Doc Martens in your asshole." In my twisted little mind, it gives me a laugh. I don't try to be a dick but I can turn it on real damn quick. If you think this is funny though, you should hear what happens when people climb up my ass in the checkout line.

Reactions: Deleted User

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you have no clue how much i agree with you.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, In 15 years, i have not knowingly or purposefully cursed (when i was a toddler i could have repeated on of the many new vocabulary words my dad said, you never know), but this was my choice. my parents probably wouldn't love me cursing to their face, and definitely wouldn't encourage it, but i could if i want, especially on the bus or in school... but i don't. i find it silly. i don't care if people curse in front of me, sometimes it helps express emotion (or possibly make a joke slightly funnier when used right). but when it gets to the point of people in my school... that's rude and annoying. These people haven't said a sentence w/out a swear word in at least 4 years. literally every 3rd word is a swear. and the better you see yourself, the more you swear it seems (so the more popular kids swear more) (im the exception here, i believe im going to be a billionaire, and i am pretty popular with my friends, pretty powerful, actually.).

If you have payed attention to my threads you know i cant even type out a curse on the internet. if i ever did include one in a post, it was in the thread title for effect, and was a low-level swear. but i haven't type any of them (that's right, i didn't type all 2 of 'em!), they were copied and pasted from another thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.