Parenting

Vahnyyz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I look listen and read about some 30 year olds and people around my age and think, man I hate these punk kids with their obnoxious music and ridiculous clothing. So I pretty much feel old all the time :) but I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old and I don't feel too old yet, cause I still chase them down with tickle monster time a lot :)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think all adults have that fear. These days I feel old. I turn 30 next month yet, seeing my 14 month old daughter run around makes me think, "damn, where did the years go?"

It's less of a fear and more about me needing to get my life together before getting a child involved in my life.
Either way on the topic of parenting, it's Mother's day, so to all the Mother's of the Temp, Happy Mother's day!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To the best of my knowledge (and greatest of hopes) I am not a parent. I reckon I could be a parent but from everything I have seen in friends and family I would probably detest it, at least until the instincts kick and turn me in a soft pile of goo when it comes to said spawn. To me kids just seem to be a massive financial, time and relationship burden.

As for feeling old I am on a forum that does also feature people of somewhat low ages, and they spout phrases like "old consoles like the N64", "old handhelds like the GBA" and "old bands like [insert band that formed in the 90's]" so I get that often enough. I would say I wondered where the years went but at best my acknowledgement of the passage of time is weak, my memory is pretty good so I can usually piece things together if I decide time matters and I know it has all been a mass of self indulgence anyway, primarily aided by my not bothering to gain any responsibilities longer than a few months.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to think being young at heart will help with being able to catch up with my little one. Ive seen so many parents who decide to stay in their time period and never check out what kids think are hip or cool. I don't want to be one of those parents.

Reactions: Lucifer666
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not really a parent, but an uncle. I usually live my life being foolish, childish, etc. But when my two little nieces are around I foolishly play with them, it's fun. But I also do have to parent them at some times which feels weird, because as an uncle, I want to spoil them so much even though I don't want to.

SammyPoke

Trophies
XP
Country
I went through the opposite, I felt old when I was young and young when I'm in my 30's I mean early 20's. It's all physiological and depends how your mentality and life experiences play out.

mercuryshadow09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any parents here? When you sit and look at your little one, do they make you feel old? Do you find yourself watching Sesame Street again? :P

Well my "little ones" are 21 and 23, and I would be considered old around here, but I keep in shape, I walk or ride a bike everywhere and one of my close friends is in his mid 20's and has a hard time keeping up with me!

Reactions: LightyKD

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would never have kids.
I got a few reasons for it as well.

I do however rarely watch over me lil nieces.
I must say that watching telly with them is feeling yerself at that age again.

iamKHEEMchi

Flynn Rider's Ichiban
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not a parent but i'm babysitting my niece, I think of my niece as my child for I still take care of her for almost five years and counting and basically, I'm like her mother because her mother's always not in home. Sometimes, when i think too deep while taking care of her, i think that i'm too old because I can see her growing up each day while I, too is growing up and being like an old woman. I sometimes watch my "Shows-that-I-grew-up-with" while babysitting her (e.g. cinderella the series, blues clues, all that, tellitubbies, etc) and I often tell her some stories of my childhood at the same time. Sometimes she just laugh it off or she gets annoyed with me but you can't help it because it's a good memory for you and you wanted to share it to her. I also make her play some of my games that I also grew up with and i've been trying to limit her in using the internet. I drag her outside and play physical activities even if it's too hot. I teach her that so that she can pass it to the next generation. Ugh. I'm only twenty and I think too deeply about these things. I'm getting old..

Last edited by iamKHEEMchi, , Reason: typo

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not a parent and I hope that continues. I would be a horrible parent.

Pretty much this. I'm way too impatient to be a good parent and if I had a daughter, I'd be one of those super overprotective dads once shes reaches adolescence. I'd intimidate and hover over any little shit interested in my daughter and try anything funny and I'll crack some smartass teenage skulls. In all seriousness, I don't plan on having kids but I do feel old when kids talk about pop culture shit because I pay zero attention to that nonsense. However, I wouldn't be willing to get a vasectomy either; I wanna keep the possibility open. Also, HS kids legitimately look like small children to me now so that makes me feel old too. Doesn't seem like it's been that long since I graduated HS but I'll be 31 in late August. As of right now, I just wanna be with my gf and have fun without the responsibility of raising a child.

Off Topic: I do feel younger physically though because I've dropped 120 lbs since June of last year(no surgery or any of that pansy shit, no drugs other than coffee) and am in the best shape of my life. I was in decent shape at 15 but I'm actually even leaner than I was back then; I'm 5'9 153(as of this morning) and I keep dropping fat and putting on more muscle. I know I'm bragging but I deserve to gloat a little; losing 120 lbs was HARD.

Reactions: elmoemo

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm 26 and i'm a parent to three daughters; 2, 4 and 6. Couldn't imagine my life without them. I love my children and they're all quite intelligent, like me and my wife. My oldest daughter already knows how to build a computer and play games properly. She's by no means an inside person either, I made it very clear to her that playing games is okay, but being outside with her friends is just as important. I don't want any of my children turning into hermits, like most of my and the latest generation. They never watched the crap on some of the children's channels because they're absolute garbage - I read to my children.

I must stress that whilst I love my children and couldn't conceive life without them, I hate other people's children. I don't like dealing or looking after other people's children. I also hate other children's parents. Mostly because of the poorer, more common area in which I live. I'm quite experienced with the finer things in life, even at my young age; which is why I find it difficult to deal with other parents who literally scream and shout at their children to get them to do anything. I never shout at my children and I can't see myself doing it unless it was a life or death situation like stopping them being hit by a car or something. Children work a lot like animals, positive reinforcement. That's why I always become confused when people shout at their children - It just doesn't work.

However, whilst having kids is lovely and I love spending time with them, having a relationship with children so young is destructive and I do regret having children as young as I did. We don't have sex very much, and any kind of foreplay or extra 'fun' is out of the question. It isn't that we don't have time because not having time with kids is a lie. You have plenty of time to have sex or have intimacy with children around; having three kids has ruined her libido. She never feels in the mood and it's taken its toll on our relationship. I love the woman and could never cheat on her or leave her, but being so distant is difficult. That is one of the massive downsides to having kids I guess, but I know many couples with children that have an active sex life. It just annoys me that our relationship doesn't have it. Another thing is that I don't have many friends my age as they're all still in the party phases of their lives and are uncomfortable around children, they're incredibly immature.

But I understand why people don't want kids, but I do think it's annoying when people who don't have nieces,nephews or any young children in their life can say it when they have absolutely no experience. You babysit and decide you wouldn't make a good parent? Fair enough, at least you've somewhat experienced it. I can't stand it when people say "I'll never have kids, I can't stand them" when they have never had a child in their life, even slightly.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any parents here? When you sit and look at your little one, do they make you feel old? Do you find yourself watching Sesame Street again? :P

Well, to be honest with you. I have seen all parents were not meant to be parents, even grandparents. I have seen them everyday, everywhere. Yesterday, we saw two grandparents with a cute kid in McDoanld's and they just sat down and gave him a iPad or something like that with a headphones so he can focus on it and keep him busy while they chats. That's rotten things to do. So heartless!

Many parents except fathers doesn't have time for kids. Most mothers have to take care of kids more than fathers does. Does that mean mothers are rotten as much as fathers ? Yes. Mothers should say something to fathers about sharing the equals for the kids and take a turns.

I do not considers most parents to be good parents according to the research finding. Do I want to have a kids ? Yes and no. I want to have a kid because I love my nephew and niece and I always take care of them and played with them but unfortunately, I don't. My sisters never gave me an opportunity to experienced their kids as Uncle myself. They gave to my mother to take care of them and my mom was not doing a good job either. She watched tv and let kids playing the toys nor video games instead. One day she and dad have had to go to the store and asked me to take care of my one nephew who was newborn. I was excited and fall in love with precious baby. I think to myself and disappointment in my three sisters and my parents as well. For me, I will spend time with kid every minutes to balance with my work as well. NO EXCUSE! Love is Love, period.

No, I don't want to have kid in this WORLD. This world is so horrible.. Fake love, wars, corruption, pollution, and suffer. I do not want my kid to suffer as well. Maybe one day but it doesn't mean it is okay to get married knowing you don't love one another and have a kid or adopt kid knowing that you won't be there for them and be a lousy parents.

I can't stand it when people say "I'll never have kids, I can't stand them" when they have never had a child in their life, even slightly.

That's true. When they say they will never have kids and they cannot stand them. They forgot one thing about themselves. They were kids once. Does that mean they cannot stand themselves too ? Very silly things to say, you know. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt