PaRappa and Gitaroo Man devs pair up to announce Project Rap Rabbit

If you thought you'd seen the last of the quirky PlayStation rhythm games like Vib-Ribbon and PaRappa the Rapper, prepare yourselves, because developer Masaya Matsuura and Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! and Gitaroo Man creator, Keiichi Yano will be collaborating to create a brand new rhythm game IP. Tenatively titled Project Rap Rabbit, there's not much information to go off of yet, besides that it will be an action-rhythm game.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parappa was in jammer lammy though...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Its about one of the best rhythm games near the Bemani series. (Bemani series as in Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania, Pop n' Music, etc.)
Parappa and Guitaroo man are must play rhythm games next to rhythm heaven.
When did that happen? You just said it but i haven't seen anything outside of special story mode replacement..

Last edited by cvskid,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone even tell me if parappa the rapper is a fun game "TO PLAY" Yes i can understand is a rhythm game, i can understand that is popular cause of the music, songs and i guess story. But is about a dog in love with a flower, and i won't mention about the game being all about paper cause there is already paper mario and yoshi story and kirby yarn... so there is a fair share of awkward graphics for games.

But is playing it fun? All 6 stages? I want honesty here.

Short answer: Fuck no!
Long answer: The characters are light hearted and funny, so is the music. Yeah, it's just another rhythm game, but it's the atmosphere and lyrics that make it memorable and beloved. So why did I say fuck no if it's full of fond memories? Because I had a gameshark. I thought I was horrible at the game and it wasn't until years later that I found out that the game suffered from lag in the timing. So if you were on point with your button presses, you still failed to do well. I can't speak for the remaster cause I've not tried it, but the original is frustrating as fuck to play without cheating.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Akshuls

Comic sans
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Short answer: Fuck no!
Long answer: The characters are light hearted and funny, so is the music. Yeah, it's just another rhythm game, but it's the atmosphere and lyrics that make it memorable and beloved. So why did I say fuck no if it's full of fond memories? Because I had a gameshark. I thought I was horrible at the game and it wasn't until years later that I found out that the game suffered from lag in the timing. So if you were on point with your button presses, you still failed to do well. I can't speak for the remaster cause I've not tried it, but the original is frustrating as fuck to play without cheating.

Since im a heavy rhythm game player, i didn't really notice the lag on the PSP version or the PS1 version. PS2 version wasn't laggy either. You just have to compensate honestly. And if you are playing on the PS1 version its best to play on a CRT monitor. Its lagless for me.

D

Deleted User

You Gotta Belieeeeeeeeeve!!!!

Please stop calling them 'Bust A Groove' ...they're 'Bust A Move'! :ha:
...and 'Bust a Move' is 'Puzzle Bobble', before anyone mentions it!

Image291_zpsuavdiens.jpg

Obligatory "busta nut" comment

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since im a heavy rhythm game player, i didn't really notice the lag on the PSP version or the PS1 version. PS2 version wasn't laggy either. You just have to compensate honestly. And if you are playing on the PS1 version its best to play on a CRT monitor. Its lagless for me.

I played it on psx when it was actually current gen console. So i was on a crt. The psx version had horrible accuracy/lag whatever you want to call it. The psp version was pretty much a straight port and I was let down by the fact that no effort was made to fix it. PtR2 was a lot better as far as playability, but the songs just weren't as cool and funny.

Imho, you shouldn't have to compensate or adjust for lag or bad detection in a rhythm game. That's the entirety of the damn game is to press buttons in time with the song. If you have to compensate, something went horribly wrong somewhere in production. When the icon crosses the strike zone, a press of the proper button should register. Its that simple, it was the only game mechanic so it's kinda important to get it right...and they fucked it up. Simple as that.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone even tell me if parappa the rapper is a fun game "TO PLAY" Yes i can understand is a rhythm game, i can understand that is popular cause of the music, songs and i guess story. But is about a dog in love with a flower, and i won't mention about the game being all about paper cause there is already paper mario and yoshi story and kirby yarn... so there is a fair share of awkward graphics for games.

But is playing it fun? All 6 stages? I want honesty here.
I played it 2 years ago and fun was the last thing I had. Everything felt so dated, slow and not responsive.

I wanted to love it, but there was nothing to love. : (

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been more looking forward for a game since the time I preordered dragon's trap.
I hope you mean wonder boy 3, dragon's trap on master system, that game was actually good. I thought about buying that remaster game but is $20 and not even published by sega :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I played it on psx when it was actually current gen console. So i was on a crt. The psx version had horrible accuracy/lag whatever you want to call it. The psp version was pretty much a straight port and I was let down by the fact that no effort was made to fix it. PtR2 was a lot better as far as playability, but the songs just weren't as cool and funny.

Imho, you shouldn't have to compensate or adjust for lag or bad detection in a rhythm game. That's the entirety of the damn game is to press buttons in time with the song. If you have to compensate, something went horribly wrong somewhere in production. When the icon crosses the strike zone, a press of the proper button should register. Its that simple, it was the only game mechanic so it's kinda important to get it right...and they fucked it up. Simple as that.
Is a known fact that the game has sync issues with the music and on screen button prompts.
I searched the forums and was unable to find an answer, but anyway. I'm using the latest version of ePSXe, and the game runs smoothly and everything, but there's one small problem: the rhythm just doesn't sync with the game at all. I have to purposefully hit the buttons a second (or half a second) after I really am supposed to press them, so technically, it is possible to complete the game, but I have to be off-sync. Any ways to fix this? Thanks.

To tell you the truth...playing the game on a real ps1 is exactly the same. I was just playing this game about a week ago, and I noticed the same thing (but on a real ps1). I think that you are actually supposed to hit it right after it passes the "hit" marker (and pushing that button as many times as you can before the next marker is reached should raise you score). I found that to work best, but like I said, it is pretty much the same as on the real ps1.

The weird thing about Parappa is that sometimes that method I described works, sometimes it just doesn't. The funny thing is that when I actually tried to play along with the beat, I lost the level over and over again. So I got frustrated on the fourth level I believe, and just started pushing random buttons the whole time the song play... And for some reason it gave me a "Good" rating and let me pass the level! I don't think the game was very well made to begin with, and unfortunately only lasts about 40mins or so... Still a fun game though.
:arrow:SOURCE

Reactions: V0ltr0n

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night