Hacking Pandora/MMS guide for installing CFW

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Viztard said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Small note worth mentioning: If a PSP is definitely compatible with a pandora battery, then it can be used to downgrade and install CFW no matter which firmware it's running. Pandora batteries have their effect before the firmware has a chance to load.
So just to confirm, if I were to have a PSP 1000 that is currently on OFW 6.20, I could use a "self-made/softmodded" pandora battery created from lets say a friends PSP already w/ CFW, (that I was talking about earlier in this thread) to downgrade the firmware and then follow the instructions on the original post of this guide to install CFW on it? And then I could turn the "self-made/softmodded" back to a normal battery using my own PSP which would have CFW installed by then correct?

Any help or comments are appreciated!
smile.gif

EDIT: Grammar

precisely. 1000s can be fully hacked no matter the firmware as long as you have a pandora.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
The Viztard said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Small note worth mentioning: If a PSP is definitely compatible with a pandora battery, then it can be used to downgrade and install CFW no matter which firmware it's running. Pandora batteries have their effect before the firmware has a chance to load.
So just to confirm, if I were to have a PSP 1000 that is currently on OFW 6.20, I could use a "self-made/softmodded" pandora battery created from lets say a friends PSP already w/ CFW, (that I was talking about earlier in this thread) to downgrade the firmware and then follow the instructions on the original post of this guide to install CFW on it? And then I could turn the "self-made/softmodded" back to a normal battery using my own PSP which would have CFW installed by then correct?

Any help or comments are appreciated!
smile.gif

EDIT: Grammar

precisely. 1000s can be fully hacked no matter the firmware as long as you have a pandora.
Alright, good to know. Thanks.
But I think what I've been asking all this time or wondering was whether or not the "self-made/softmodded from another CFW'ed PSP" pandora batteries could be used just as if they were "factory-made/that is their purpose" ones. Basically, would a "Pandora" battery let's say my friend created for me work and function the way I would need it to as if it were an official pandora battery? And after all that is done I could then use my PSP which would have CFW by then to turn the "Self-made Pandora" battery back to a normal one and use it as a normal one?

Thanks for the reply!
smile.gif

EDIT: Grammar again, sorry!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whether a standard battery is softmodded or hardmodded to turn it into a pandora battery, it will behave as any other pandora battery, yes. It's easier to reverse a softmodded battery, as most hardmods are relatively permanent.

There is a reversible hardmod, but this applies to Slim batteries, and they won't fit in a 1000.

If you have access to another CFW PSP, you can softmod a battery to turn it into a pandora and use it, then turn it back into a normal one. If you don't, you can hardmod an official battery, however this will most likely be permanent, and you wouldn't be able to load the PSP from the battery power; you would have to plug it in and boot it from external power, and then use the battery (it still has power, after all).

Unless you have access to another battery, softmodding a battery temporarily is the way to go if you have the equipment (another CFW PSP) but if not, perhaps just buying a pandora battery rather than trying to hardmod one.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Whether a standard battery is softmodded or hardmodded to turn it into a pandora battery, it will behave as any other pandora battery, yes. It's easier to reverse a softmodded battery, as most hardmods are relatively permanent.

There is a reversible hardmod, but this applies to Slim batteries, and they won't fit in a 1000.

If you have access to another CFW PSP, you can softmod a battery to turn it into a pandora and use it, then turn it back into a normal one. If you don't, you can hardmod an official battery, however this will most likely be permanent, and you wouldn't be able to load the PSP from the battery power; you would have to plug it in and boot it from external power, and then use the battery (it still has power, after all).

Unless you have access to another battery, softmodding a battery temporarily is the way to go if you have the equipment (another CFW PSP) but if not, perhaps just buying a pandora battery rather than trying to hardmod one.
Ok, cool. thanks for finally clearing that up. It's sorta bothered me for quite a while now...thanks again.
smile.gif

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just received my Pandora Battery with dual mode (normal / pandora mode).

Worked a treat, Enable the Pandora Mode on Battery, Press Left button, insert battery.

Viola, Menu.

Installed Custom f/w over the very latest Sony F/W from last week.

Then upgraded to 5.50GEN-D3-Final.

Piece of cake.

Edit: Need to also update from 5.50GEN-D3-Final to 5.50_Prometheus to play latest ISO's with the new protection
cool.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the Slim battery won't fit 1000s actually...though a 1000-sized battery will fit both 1000s and 2000s (and 3000s I believe, but that's pointless).

Glad that you had no trouble with the guide though.
biggrin.gif

Trace_hunter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
quick question, after creating a pandoras battery, does it still work in the same way a normal battery does?

what changes? is it reversable by resoldering the connection or is it just pointless?

cheers

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
ok so I just tried making a pandora battery, sliced open the actually battery a tiny bit, unhooked the prong, and now the battery won't work at all

so now I need a pandora battery and a regular battery, is it possible to buy a pandora battery and turn it into a regular one when im done with it? Or will I have to buy both?

Redrum22x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got quite of a problem here, when i try to turn the memory stick into MMS, it gives me a IPL error, I goto IPL inject only, and it says there`s no sector space, so i format the memory stick on my computer, and then i pop it in my PSP and my PSP can`t read it, i continued anyways.... everything worked fine till i needed to get the menu loaded with pandora`s battery, when i try (while holding the left trigger ofc) it just goes into a blank screen, so i take out the pandora`s battery, put in the main battery, formated the memory stick on the PSP, and it goes back to square one, one WHOLE confusing ass paradox T.T

my PSP is 1k with update 6.20, and my mem stick is sony magic gate 2 GBs

if ANYONE can help, i would GLADLY accept!

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but this is my bombardment of questions. I'm waiting on a Pandora battery to arrive from shoptemp so I'm doing my research now.

Okay, so doing this will allow me to use homebrew, play backups, and still use my existing UMDs, correct? And does the MMS NEED to be used when using the CFW, or can I use my old memory stick after this is done? What CFW is required for Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (one of my UMDs), and how does the update process work? Is it like a Sony one where I just have to load it to the card and pick the file in the menu? Or is it different?

BTW, great guide. I'm doing this for a God of War Edition PSP, and from everything I could gather this should work for me. I'll let you know. Thanks!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you can do those things for 99% of the PSP library, but dependent upon which firmware you pick you'll be restricted. 5.00 M33-6 boasts arguably the highest compatibility across the board but cannot play the more recent UMD's, although a plugin boosts the compatibility beyond it's native support. 5.50 Prometheus-2 can play the most recent UMD's but breaks some compatibilities. 5.50 GEND3 again breaks some PSP/PSX games and homebrew but you'll have auto decrypting for some of those newer games.
Once you've flashed CFW you can format your stick...you don't need the MMS files any longer.
5.00M33-6 and up can play BBS....although you'll need to patch the ISO for all firmwares bar one.
Updates are in the form of eboot.pbp. They go in a folder named UPDATE and are placed within the GAME folder within a folder on your MS root called PSP. You run the UPDATE from the XMB. There are no auto or forced updates as of yet.
CFW updates require OFW firmware eboots and the appropriate CFW files. Again run from XMB.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
They all work if you are happy to switch between firmwares and regions, and are competent at using a simple piece of homebrew such as ISO Tool, or better yet just patch manually.

BBS works fine...you may just have an issue with playing a save that you have as it could get corrupted in the transition. For safety's sake i'd finish it first.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a plan. When I do get into backup loading, I'm looking into God of War Chains of Olympus, Persona 3 Portable, and replaying the LocoRoco games.
happy.gif
Now, just gotta wait for that battery to show up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Probably like a 10,000 dollar build back then