Castanje

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello GBATemp,

I've googled a lot about this, but every website/forum claims something different and it's very confusing.

I know that an NTSC Wii U can upscale NTSC Wii games to 1080p (I know it isn't uprendered and the core image is still 480p). But as the original Wii has no real widescreen (because it is 640x480 stretched wide),
- I wonder if an NTSC Wii U will render original Wii games in REAL 480p widescreen (852×480) when it's upscaling to 1080p? Or will the original rendered image still be 640x480?

And my next question:

- I've read that a PAL Wii U can't upscale PAL Wii games to 1080p. I've also heard that this is only via component and so it actually can upscale Wii games, but only via HDMI. What is actually true?

Please help me out guys :lol: Thanks in advance!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
From personal experience the Wii games that I've tried on my Wii U looked really nice (with jaggy lines, though) and the detail was noticeable whereas on the original Wii that was blurred due to being in SD.

I just don't play that much of Wii on my Wii U due to the GamePad still not being compatible with Wii games.

Castanje

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From personal experience the Wii games that I've tried on my Wii U looked really nice (with jaggy lines, though) and the detail was noticeable whereas on the original Wii that was blurred due to being in SD.

I just don't play that much of Wii on my Wii U due to the GamePad still not being compatible with Wii games.
Thank you for replying, but could you please tell me if you are using a PAL or NTSC Wii U? And is your Wii U upscaling to 1080p in vWii mode or does your TV have to do that?
And on your original Wii: do you use a component cable which supports 480p? Or are you using the old composite/scart cable?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
My Wii U is PAL (UK) and on the TV details it appears to be 1080p (upscaled).

Here's a pic of how it looks like taken in 1080p:

np19.jpg

I would've taken more but it'd be more of the same.

My old Wii was modified to just play GameCube games and such, it's like this at the moment:

s8w0.jpg

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
What I experienced is that Wii via component looks much better than Wii U upscaled 1080p. Component looks crisp and SD is barely noteable where HDMI upscale is like gaussian blur filter on top of everything. I guess it's up to TV which one actually looks better.

Wait it's not? I haven't used gamepad but at least Wii Menu works fine with gamepad only.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm