Android Package Installer

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question: Could the answer be as simple as downloading someone else's back-up that has everything I need, putting that back-up in the TWRP older of my phone and loading it?

Start a command prompt in your adk directory and do an "adb devices"
When I get to this step, no device is shown anymore.
I tried wiping everything for a clean slate, and now my device isn't recognized as being rooted...

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put the phone into the ADB Sideload feature in TWRP and connect it to your computer. Open your device manager and you should see something with "ADB" in the name. So on mine (remember, Samsung Galaxy Nexus), without having an ADB driver installed I see "Other Devices -> Galaxy Nexus" with a yellow exclamation point over its icon. I'd right click it, Update Driver Software -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> ADB Interface -> SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface. I also have an entry for "Android Phone" below "ADB Interface" and in there are other ADB drivers from Samsung.

Your exact method will be different because you have a Motorola device, but that's the general idea. If you have no driver installed, you may see things like "XT925", "Motorola XT925", "Android Phone", "ADB Interface", or something of the likes with a yellow exclamation point next to it. It sounds like you had the drivers installed at one point so it's just a matter of telling Windows to use them again, but if not, these should be your drivers - http://goo.gl/4HzvQv

Edit - with ADB drivers installed, my phone moves to the header "ADB Interface" with device name "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface" http://i.imgur.com/WyHEzYy.png

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hold on, I think the problem now is that when I restart my phone it just opens up to the fastboot menu. The only way I can get to my phone's functions is through the factory option when holding down power+ volume Up and Down. So I think I need to exit that before I TWRP can recognize my device is plugged in. I'll post back here when I have that figured out.

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the bootloader (fastboot menu) you should be able to press volume UP/DOWN to cycle through "power off", "restart", "start", and "recovery". Cycle through to "recovery" and hit your power button to launch recovery.

The command "fastboot continue" also works :P

Ummm, yeah. My phone still isn't connecting to the PC when I connect the USB while in TWRP.

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you get it to connect during fastboot?

Yes. Also, just noticed that "fastboot continue" didn't exit me completely out of fastboot. It started the phone normally but as soon as I restart it brings me to fastboot again. I don't have the "power off", "restart", "start", or "recovery" options to cycle through in my fastboot menu.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said you wiped everything before? That's why then, it has an empty boot partition.

Wow I'm retarded. Never realized your phone has an external SD slot (just looked up the specs). Do you have a microSD for it and a reader for your computer? Drop your cm11.zip and gapps.zip onto the root of your microSD, put it in the phone, boot to recovery (volume down + power when the device is off), Install, and the files will be at the bottom of the list. Tap cm11.zip, click "add another file", tap gapps.zip, then swipe to install. That should work unless you installed/have an outdated version of TWRP that doesn't have SELinux support (what version of TWRP are you running? version number is at the top, latest build I believe is what I have, v2.6.3.1). Disregard the shit I wrote below for now, we'll fastboot flash it if we can't get anything else working.

Edit - Unofficial 2.6.0.0 is the latest twrp I can find for your phone which will be fine. If you have anything lower, download it and flash it through fastboot. http://goo.gl/mdui1f Rename it to twrp.img and move it to a convenient directory.

fastboot devices
fastboot flash recovery path_to_twrp.img

Then reboot your phone back to recovery (vol down + power) and continue with my instructions above.

Then if you want to flash cm11, you CAN do so from fastboot. It's ever so slightly more complicated but not really. Before we do that though look at this, because you do have the potential to muss things up a little more through fastboot.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_xt925

You're going to download the cm11 for your phone from the link I said last page, rename it to cm11.zip, move it to your same directory as your fastboot.exe (for convenience).

Code:
[/S][/S]
[S][S]fastboot devices[/S][/S]
[S][S]<device is listed here>[/S][/S]
[S][S]fastboot flash boot cm11.zip

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
we'll fastboot flash it if we can't get anything else working.

Looks like this is the next option.
I was running twrp2.5.0.0 until you posted the link for 2.6.0.0. I then upgraded and tried to flash cw11 and Gapps from the external SD card, but no luck.

Also, no longer stuck in the fastboot screen, however now it only boots into recovery, no matter what I do. Also, everytime I try to flash something, I have to fix my root permissions. :/

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What do you mean by "no luck"? What error message appeared?

Looks like the key combo to boot to the bootloader/fastboot is vol UP + power when the device is turned off.

I'll give you two error messages. The first is when I flash twrp2.6.0.0. It says, "<Bootloader> Variable not supported!" However when I go into recovery it says 2.6.0.0 at the top.

When I try to install cw11 from the SD card these are the messages I get:
E: Unknown File System: 'datamedia'
Updating partition details...
Installing '/external_sd/cm11.zip'...
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: No MD5 file found.
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary to zip '/extern (it cuts off here)
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/cm11.zip'
Updating Partition details...
And then it has Failed in bright red letters.

When I try to install Gapps from the SD card these are the messages I get:
Installing '/external_sd/Gapps.zip'...
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
Google Apps for Android 4.4.0
Installing files...
Cleaning up and setting metadata...
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/extern (cuts off here)
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/Gapps.zip'
Updating Partition details...
And then it has Failed in bright red letters.

Note: I could not be installing GApps because I have Gapps for 4.4.0, not 4.0.4 like my device is.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still being retarded. I'm not looking hard enough. So there was a build of TWRP 2.6.3.0 for the XT926, not the XT925 though. Someone said that it did work on their 925, but let's not try that just yet. Gonna leave it here just in case though - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2476238

However someone built CWM Touch 6.0.4.7 for the XT925 which I believe is current. http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2679882&d=1397210651

Download that, boot into fastboot, connect the phone to your computer, rename that file to cwm.img and put it somewhere convenient.

Code:
fastboot devices
fastboot flash recovery path_to_cwm.img

Note any errors back here if you get them. Reboot to recovery which should now be clockworkmod recovery. NOW try to flash your cm11.zip and gapps.zip. Honestly, you can even hold off on the gapps.zip for now, just to take this one step at a time.

Also, that wouldn't make a difference because cm11 is Android 4.4. And regardless I think it would still install anyway even on an older rom but I'm not 100% positive on that. But like I said we can hold off on that part for now.

Edit - also, TWRP 2.6.0.0 doesn't have SELinux support, so it WON'T flash cm11 anyway. THAT is (hopefully "was" after you follow my instructions) an issue.

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did it still end up flashing the recovery though? Or are you still in twrp?

Edit - also, are you running your command prompts as an administrator?

It still flashed the recovery. I am now using CWM.

I believe so.

Ummm, soooooo, now my phone won't turn off. It just restarts to the Bootloader Warning screen no matter what I do :/

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol wat. There should be a power-off option somewhere in there... regardless, honestly, right now try to install cm11. What happens?

Edit - also, if there's no power option (but there's gotta be...) hold your power button for 30 seconds and the phone should turn off. But try flashing cm11 first. And if cm11 flashes flash gapps

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol wat. There should be a power-off option somewhere in there... regardless, honestly, right now try to install cm11. What happens?

Edit - also, if there's no power option (but there's gotta be...) hold your power button for 30 seconds and the phone should turn off. But try flashing cm11 first. And if cm11 flashes flash gapps

There are no options. Literally, it's just a menu that says this:
WARNING
BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED
------------------------------------------------
Your devices Bootloader has been unlocked, allowing critical software components to be altered in a manner that may cause damage to the device or result in injury to user (yes, it actually states that...) Motorola disclaims an liability for harm to person or property resulting from use of this device-and all warranties are null and void.

Visit www.motorola.com/unlockbootloader for more information, and a copy of the applicable legal agreement.
I tried holding down the power button. Like I said, it just goes back to that screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi