Gaming Overpricing of WiiU games is killing the WiiU

JerJer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Australia, Wii U games are $20 cheaper than Wii games were at launch. (Wii games were $100, Wii U games are currently $80.)

Your argument is invalid.
Hows it invalid? I don't recall comparing the Wii to the WiiU? Its also not about a comparison of where U purchased it. Its about a comparison of the fact that the higher costs cause less purchases and with cel phones and tablets supplying much more affordable game play (regardless of if its inferior) its stealing away from the industry. I don't recall saying that I thought the pricing was unfair just that its hurting WiiU sales and makes it hard for some to pay that price especially when they can turn elsewhere..

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can we be fair for a moment?
t5SpnRD.gif

Shitty mobile quality
Y1yiQy4.jpg

OMGAMAZINGWOULDFAPAGAIN

*crosses arms and sighs*

All you did was get a good screenshot of the Sonic game and a bad screenshot of NSMBU. Believe me, the Wii U has a lot of RAM even the backgrounds used in the game can't be used in a mobile game. I've seen pretty much every version of NSMB and I'll admit it they are all graphically lacking, but NSMBU is kind of nice with its high resolution, content and multiplayer modes. Too bad they recycled the music though

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I won't be singing the praises of NSMBU or really any NSMB game I will say that they're definitely not of gamemaker quality. I don't personally think they're $50-$60 games but they're not some cheap gamemaker game.

I think it's fair to criticize them for being a bit samey and not really changing a whole lot but they're not cheap.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hows it invalid? I don't recall comparing the Wii to the WiiU? Its also not about a comparison of where U purchased it. Its about a comparison of the fact that the higher costs cause less purchases and with cel phones and tablets supplying much more affordable game play (regardless of if its inferior) its stealing away from the industry. I don't recall saying that I thought the pricing was unfair just that its hurting WiiU sales and makes it hard for some to pay that price especially when they can turn elsewhere..

If the Wii didn't die due to high game costs, then why would the Wii U die due to lower game costs? Mobile gaming will always hurt the console market, but dedicated gamers will always buy "real" games. There is absolutely nothing to fear.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe it or not, the "mobile gaming industry' is still part of the gaming industry. Sales are not being stolen, there's simply just another option for a quick fix. I don't remember reading people bitch about Super Mario Bros 1 selling less because of Tiger handhelds... The gaming landscape is changing, just as it always has. A constant state of flux. There's always been some "new thing" that one gen saw as ruining gaming while the next saw it as another step towards mainstream. I think a lot of the whiners and fanboys nowadays throw their fits because deep down they see their niche hobby becoming not so niche...

edit...
Also, when you factor in inflation, games are cheaper now than they were 20 years ago...

I think it's fair to criticize them for being a bit samey and not really changing a whole lot...
And this is actually a popular, slightly elitist, argument... If a game is not revolutionary in some way, it is not worth the premium price-point... I'd be curious to see what that logic would look like applied to other media. Movie tickets, music, novels, comics, DVD/Bluray, magazines...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is actually a popular, slightly elitist, argument... If a game is not revolutionary in some way, it is not worth the premium price-point... I'd be curious to see what that logic would look like applied to other media. Movie tickets, music, novels, comics, DVD/Bluray, magazines...

Well I'm not saying it's not worth $60 because it's samey, I'm saying it's not worth that to me because I don't find the content as compelling. Mario games in general I just beat in a day or two and it sits on my shelf for years. I just don't feel that warrants a $60 tag.

Hell I didn't even buy Rayman Origins until it was $20 and I'll probably do the same for Legends.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overpricing of Wii U games is killing the Wii U ? Where have you been ? Look at PS3 games.. Overpricing and its popular as ever. To me, no third party then they will be killing the Wii U. A third party is a must to keep Wii U survive. I am not buying WIi U. I am watching it to see if the third party is 100 percent supporting Wii U. I want to be wise and not to spend my money without a third party supporting first. :)

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind paying the price when it is not shovelware! I get a lot of use and long play out of most of the games anymore and for the most part I believe the cost is justified. If not then I simply don't buy it. Heck most games even have demos now to let you test them first.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. Times are getting harder and games have never been this expensive.

That chart could be slightly misleading, I believe that when they are showing Nintendo's cut that the price of that included the physical materials. At the time Nintendo had control of cart production for the NES and SNES and I think the publisher had to deal with Nintendo for X number of copies.

So Nintendo's cut was probably high profits, that % probably had to cover physical goods as well, and I think Nintendo also handled distribution for a lot of chains (I know at the time Toys R Us was one they had some sort of deal with, and to this day Toys R Us still gets more stock on launch consoles from Nintendo than other stores.)

I wonder what the FX chip actually cost Nintendo to put in carts, I know they charged about $10 more per cart that had them, but the chip itself seems like it should have cost more? (I have been looking into the FX2 and it was a pretty powerful little bugger for its time.)

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's face it Kids these days don't get 60$ often,as they make up a good number of sales;plus mobile games are 96% cheaper.Smart phones sales skyrocket'd.Consoles are dying and not as cool anymore.Consoles are more expensive that an Samsung Galaxy S3, IPads, and Ipods.Game companies don't advertise much, everything is coming to IOS(even working car keys,lol)Sum all that up.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's face it Kids these days don't get 60$ often,as they make up a good number of sales;plus mobile games are 96% cheaper.Smart phones sales skyrocket'd.Consoles are dying and not as cool anymore.Consoles are more expensive that an Samsung Galaxy S3, IPads, and Ipods.Game companies don't advertise much, everything is coming to IOS(even working car keys,lol)Sum all that up.

Sure didn't hurt the Wii, consoles are doing fine, and blah blah blah irrelevant points. Gaming hasn't shifted much.

Summed up.

Mobile gaming has casual gamers by the balls, but it doesn't do much for real gamers. The only market mobile gaming can hurt would be the handheld gaming systems, though even then...i'd rather pay $5-10 for an awesome PS1 classic, instead of a piece of shit like Angry Birds. Real gamers would agree. Casual gamers wouldn't have a handheld to begin with, or likely wouldn't invest much in it. It's as simple as that. This is the same strawman "Piracy is killing the industry" horseshit uninformed doomsayers spout to the masses.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And telephones lines costed the price of a car half a century ago. Does it mean it's acceptable to pay $300 for a SIM card nowadays?
That is a good candidate for the worst analogy of the year award.

Telephone lines havent changed. If we were playing games on the SNES still, i cant image them costing $60 when we have multicore and up processing.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That is a good candidate for the worst analogy of the year award.

Telephone lines havent changed. If we were playing games on the SNES still, i cant image them costing $60 when we have multicore and up processing.

But of course telephone lines changed, there was a great change from the times where you needed to call the phone central and request the telephonist lady to call the other person and she would manually plug one side of the line to the other so both people could talk, passing to the automatic centrals which made those disc based telephone possible. In some point of time we started using digital signals for telephone line, we started using buttons based telephones rather than old mechanic disc based phones, telephonic lines started being used to transmit fax information and the internet, wireless telephones became popular and finally cell phones became popular. And, now we leave in a age were cell phone are so important because of their integration to the internet. It seems to me a LOT has changed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :angry: ¡¡¡¡¡ oooooooooooooooooooooooN