Overpopulation isn't really much of an issue

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Seliph, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Thanks for sharing that, it really was a good resource. While he doesn't say so directly, he seems to imply that action doesn't need to be taken because it seems like the rate of population growth is predicted to slow down and perhaps peak at 11 billion. The problem with that admittedly cozy idea is that it's ignoring how already strained the human race is currently at 7 billion. Reducing our population right now would be excellent for humanity's overall health, so the thought that we "only" need to figure out how to support 11 billion is not exactly ideal. If reducing the population will benefit humanity, and I'm fairly sure it will, then I think it would be a good idea to work directly towards that.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Realistically it is a problem but there is nothing that can be forcibly done without major rights violations.

3. Meteor7

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Seriously. It either comes from grassroots social reform, or we have a pseudo-dictatorship.

4. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Official Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    More people > More resources > Food, energy, land > Depletion > :goodbye_humans:

Also, eventually, a mortal disease will rise and stabilize earth again.

Saiyan Lusitano and V0ltr0n like this.
  5. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    If there was no issue, nobody in the world would be starving. You suggest to just tear up what little undefiled land there is left to make room for more cancer...i mean ppl? Theoretically, what about a large scale EMP? Then it's an immediate calculation of population over sustenance. As it stands, there is obviously not enough food in certain places. Things aren't as stable as the common first-worlder thinks. Think of the countries that don't have landfills. Trash and literally shit in the streets. Take away our ability to produce artificial products, especially food, and you will see the population drop dramatically and almost instantly. The world is extremely unbalanced and overpopulated. I'm in no way a leftist "green" freak, but can we please stop reproducing and focus on taking care of what is already here and quality of life?

DaMan and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  6. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I would argue as always the individual rights trump any social good. Plus I see no moral or legal standing with birth limits like the one child policy.

7. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    This is incorrect.

There would be people starving regardless. The fact is, large corporations are ignoring the most populous continent in the world. If they took advantage and helped build the economies in some of those countries they wouldn't be starving.

Population has nothing to do with it.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  8. Meteor7

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I definitely wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it, but that issue in particular is a product of many economic and political factors, of which what you mentioned is one.

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That and for profit corporations that throw food away existing in general inflates starvation drastically

10. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I would actually try to foster a marketplace where different population capacity-increasing ideas are thrown around, with healthy competition to ensure good solutions come about as a result of natural demand for better methods of sustaining growth. So long as you keep away monopolization, I believe this is the best solution to tackle overpopulation. The free market is much better equipped to come up with creative solutions and implement them rapidly than a bureaucratic process or "social reform." Those are too slow and imo ineffective.

Meteor7 likes this.
  11. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Quite often regulations prevent them from doing so

But at the end of the day the only ethical action is to suggest ,but not force, to have less kids

DarthDub and Meteor7 like this.
  12. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Force would be very, very bad. As a baseline, personal liberties cannot be infringed. I mean, imagine if population really got out of hand, there was tension everywhere, and they started forcing things. I could imagine a lot of civil unrest.

RevPokemon and Meteor7 like this.
  13. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You say that like they follow them. I've heard a lot of stories about restaurants that over-report the amount of food donated

14. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I was referring to certain regulations that prevent places from donating certain food items.

15. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I think the main problem is that especially the people in poor countrys who can hardly survive make a lot of children ...
    in most 1st World countrys everyone is scared about the Problem that there are more and more elderly people and less people who can work.
    If it would not be for the Refugees (which sadly are not allowed to work even if they wanted) and other foreigners, here in Germany we have only ~1,5 kids for each family which means a slighty decrease on population and on possible workers !

Many Companys are already saying they can not find any suitible candidate for their training offers (but than again they usualy want full fledged professionals that work for nothing)

No idea about America but here in Germany it is busines as usual throwing away food that is not perfect anymore. And there are less people taking it out of the trash because many big stores actually try their best to hinder them or even sue them ! (even though later is done not often as usualy only the poor do it) a few supermarkets started puting up stuff that is only good for a short time anymore for very cheap or they give it to some organisations. Still think the majority goes to waste here.

16. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Oh. Well that's also dumb

17. sansnumen

sansnumen GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    Overpopulation is an issue that grows worse every year due to high fertility rates in 3rd world countries. We will be able to stabilize human populations if we empower women. But, that still leaves the issue of feeding, housing, educating everyone on Earth without depleting our resources. There really is only so much to go around after all.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Slowing down population growth comes with a lot of problems - average age goes up and there are fewer young people who can work and produce goods, and more older people who need to be supported.

19. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    It depends on where you live really.

20. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007

TotalInsanity4 likes this.