Hacking Optical drive replacement to load DVD Back-Ups

Ctxgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to buy a D2 compatible or equivalent drive and replace my black wii disc drive to load dvd backup with neogamma?

If not can i just install ios236 and run flash drive back ups with neogamma?
or do i need to use "d2x with IOS56 as base IOS installed as IOS249" to make neogamma run on usb backups.

I am new to wii Hacking/softmodding

HellaJvke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you say dvd backup do you mean watch a movie?
or a burned wii game to a dvd??

search darkcorp wii softmod if youre looking for the latter
assuming youre able to access the homebrew channel and such

Ctxgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea i have already have HBC YAWMM and neogamma installed. Never did cios install.
By backups i meant burnt games on dvd. Issues im currently dealing with is if d2x supports wii motion plus.
Im using neogamma because i was able to find a recompile for motion plus support. Not sure if USB GX Loader has motion plus support.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea i have already have HBC YAWMM and neogamma installed. Never did cios install.
By backups i meant burnt games on dvd. Issues im currently dealing with is if d2x supports wii motion plus.
Im using neogamma because i was able to find a recompile for motion plus support. Not sure if USB GX Loader has motion plus support.

It has wiimotion plus support. I beat skyward sword using USB Loader GX - just make sure your IOSs are up to date.

If you want an easy guide for wii flow (my favorite usb loader) follow this guide https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/installing-wiiflow

Last edited by x65943,

Ctxgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alternatively, you can get a wasp for the wii, installation should be simple. plug and play
Well the disc drive doesnt support burnt games on dvd. I wanted to run burnt game disc since its easier for me than reserving a external hdd or flashdrive to load off of.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup loading from disc is possible with a softmod, but it's slow and loud. I did it this way for maybe a month before switching to USB loading for good.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like @clownb said loading from discs is loud and slow. Loading times are long enough that it detracts from your experience. Just buy a $30 external hdd from walmart and put the entire wii library on it.

Alternatively you can put Skyward sword on a decent sized sd card if that's what you're interested in.

Ctxgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the wii can run burnt disc DVDR- from the disc channel with darkcorp installed
probably with neogamma aswell
So darkcorp will allow my wii to read burnt dvds? I thought the disc drive is no good and cannot read burnt dvds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Like @clownb said loading from discs is loud and slow. Loading times are long enough that it detracts from your experience. Just buy a $30 external hdd from walmart and put the entire wii library on it.

Alternatively you can put Skyward sword on a decent sized sd card if that's what you're interested in.

Well im modding my younger cousin's wii and we are going to use it mainly for multiplayer games like mario kart, and it's not often that i will play on the wii so im fine with longer loading times. Trying to get wii to run games with resources that i already have, but i might consider a external HDD.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So darkcorp will allow my wii to read burnt dvds? I thought the disc drive is no good and cannot read burnt dvds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well im modding my younger cousin's wii and we are going to use it mainly for multiplayer games like mario kart, and it's not often that i will play on the wii so im fine with longer loading times. Trying to get wii to run games with resources that i already have, but i might consider a external HDD.

I undestand trying to do it with the resources you already have, but the disc method is considerably more annoying. Last suggestion - You can get a 32GB sd card for ~$12 on Amazon and put ~10 wii games on it. With this method you don't have to worry about burning and swapping discs (and keeping them from getting scratched) and long load times.

Best of luck.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you insist on disc loading, darkcorp is considered an out of date, dirty, and dangerous way of doing it. You are better off updating cIOS with ModMii and using NeoGamma to load the discs.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you insist on disc loading, darkcorp is considered an out of date, dirty, and dangerous way of doing it. You are better off updating cIOS with ModMii and using NeoGamma to load the discs.

Doesn't priiloader allow you to run backups via the disc channel by setting the system menu to use IOS249 and having IOS249 forced for disc games?

EDIT: I should mention that an older drive that still has the DVD reading functions is required for this.

Last edited by driverdis,

Ctxgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i decided to use Neogamma with a usb now since usb gx loader requires sd card. Havent gotten to test it yet, (will get to try this saturday) but does neogamma run well with USB?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...