Hardware Optical Audio only works in XMB

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just changed my A/V setup to a monitor (without speakers) and optical audio to my PC's soundcard. This sound card does not support Dolby nor surround sound of any sort, and is designed to have headphones as the main output. That info may or may not be relevant.

I have my PS3 hooked up to my monitor via HDMI, works great, looks great. I told the PS3 to output audio via the optical port, and picked the 2 default choices which are LPCM 44.1khz and 48khz. The settings always work when I'm in the XMB, but the moment I load up a game (AC3 being the main one I've tested) all audio is lost. Anyone have any good ideas for what's going down here?

Using a similar setup, I get perfect audio from my Xbox, so I'm even more confused by this.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Weird. I had similar problems with my PS3. I had Audio via HDMI to my TV and then a Toslink cable to my DAC (NuForce Icon HDP). The DAC didn't support all audio types and thus I had a pretty hard time trying to find the proper options to work with games (XMB worked just like for you). I ended up picking up one of the 2 speaker setups from the options for my set (I have a pair of Genelec 8030A speakers and a 7050B subwoofer). After choosing one of the non-5.1 options, the sound came clearly from the speakers.

What kind of speaker setup do you have? If you don't have a 5.1 or similar setup, you could just as well go with what I did. Hope it helps!

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird. I had similar problems with my PS3. I had Audio via HDMI to my TV and then a Toslink cable to my DAC (NuForce Icon HDP). The DAC didn't support all audio types and thus I had a pretty hard time trying to find the proper options to work with games (XMB worked just like for you). I ended up picking up one of the 2 speaker setups from the options for my set (I have a pair of Genelec 8030A speakers and a 7050B subwoofer). After choosing one of the non-5.1 options, the sound came clearly from the speakers.

What kind of speaker setup do you have? If you don't have a 5.1 or similar setup, you could just as well go with what I did. Hope it helps!
My speaker setup is just a nice pair of headphones hooked up to my DAC. I have neither my DAC or my PS3 set to 5.1. So idk what's up with this still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs