Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
71x4HHP.png

You might be somewhat familiar with the history of OnLive. The service allowed users to purchase games and then stream them to a device of their choosing. The company had difficulty drumming up interest, however, and basically fell apart. Many assumed that it was down and out for good, but, well, you know what they say about assumptions...

The company is re-opening the lines of communication, announcing two new initiatives in CloudLift and OnLive Go.

The first, CloudLift, takes the cloud-streaming concept of OnLive and applies it to games you already own. By logging in with a Steam account (required, at least for now), games you've got attached will be "unlocked" in the cloud, playable using the OnLive client or Microconsole anywhere else (including save data that syncs between devices).

...A new business unit, dubbed "OnLive Go," takes the company's cloud abilities and applies them toother people's stuff. The first example is "SL Go" (or "Second Life: Go"), a mobile interface for ... you guessed it, Second Life. In this particular example, OnLive's powering cloud support for Second Life on Android.
:arrow:Engadget
[prebreak]Continue reading[/prebreak]
Yes... yes... It's OnLive!

Now, there's a few caveats that need to be brought up. That "CloudLift" bit? That only works for 20 or so titles at the moment, and you have to pay a $15/month fee to access it. There also doesn't appear to be any steps here to fix the service's latency problems, one of its largest drawbacks. If you want to keep on using the regular $10/month service, you can keep on keeping on, of course.

What do you think? Will this be enough to breathe new life into the service? Will it be enough to keep the service OnLive support? Or, sometimes, is OnDead bettah?

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
At least they figured out that users already has their games on steam that they don't want to rebuy them. However there are already several ways to stream games from your own computer and there's quality and lag issues but at least now I can actually see someone using that.

Wait, there are people out there who still care about Second Life?
One word: furries (:wub:)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Back in 2012 (or 2011, I forget) I tried out OnLive on a shitty computer and the games that I played were smooth without any lag but since I can't accept myself to go digital then this is no good (Steam applies to).

I prefer all my games and etc to be physical copies.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading up about this, and a funny read it was too!

Basically they nearly went bankrupt 18 months ago, and have spent the last 18 months coming up with an idea to make sure the words 'nearly' and 'bankrupt' don't appear in the same sentence anymore when it comes to them - clearly they don't want to be dubbed 'The Nearly Men' this time next year when they're on the dole.... :D

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
However there are already several ways to stream games from your own computer

I have been wanting to deploy cheap pc's throughout the house and stream games to them with a beefy server in a closet for quite some time. When OnLive came out I was like, "I hope someone ports that to home networks." I hate Steam and any sort of restrictive DRM.

I've been looking for software that would let me stream games (including emulators such as Dolphin and PCSX2) at a reasonable speed. What do you suggest for a gigabit wired network?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. I remember hearing whispers about this thing a while back but it seemed to just... fade into oblivion. Probably like this will.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uh, I just realized I missed a pun opportunity for Second Life needing a Third Life in order for this to catch on or something to that effect. Oh well.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have been wanting to deploy cheap pc's throughout the house and stream games to them with a beefy server in a closet for quite some time. When OnLive came out I was like, "I hope someone ports that to home networks." I hate Steam and any sort of restrictive DRM.

I've been looking for software that would let me stream games (including emulators such as Dolphin and PCSX2) at a reasonable speed. What do you suggest for a gigabit wired network?
Can't think of anything affordable beside Steam In-home-Streaming or HDMI wireless kit.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"...but they were all of them deceived. For yet another ring was made: deep in the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom. And with this ring, Lord Sauron enslaved the people of Middle-Earth. But there were some who resisted." That OnLive picture... it must be destroyed for the good of the people...
Uh, I just realized I missed a pun opportunity for Second Life needing a Third Life in order for this to catch on or something to that effect. Oh well.
How about half of a third life? You never know; OnLive might last that long.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are wanting to stream direct3d sorts of stuff around have a look at RDP. Personally I am waiting on it and virtualisation to gang up and do serious damage (it is tantalisingly close right now-- VMs kind of speak to my graphics card directly, take USB input quite nicely and output network readable RDP well enough).
RDP has been crazy low latency for years (office stuff is not a problem), does OK transmitting audio and video around (more than enough to watch a video on) and input methods work quite well too (though you may still end up with joy2key).

To do a RDP host like you want you will need the big boy versions of windows, it should not be too troubling to sort after that though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This Cloudlift thing sounds pretty good, although limited. I really don't see SL Go being useful at all though.

I thought OnLive was pretty neat before it kinda died, it's nice to see it back but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CloudLift seems nice but the monthly fees for a limited amount games is kind of wrong.
I think there should at least be a free trial period to see how good this actually is or can be.
The latency problems will probably hold it back the most.
All in all it's a good concept that has a good chance to become totally awesome in the future, but right now I do not see this succeeding.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't expect to hear much from OnLive, to be honest, though CloudLift sounds like an interesting feature which will hopefully get a lot more titles supporting it as time goes on.

Also, it's "breathe new life", not "breath". I could fix that myself but I might as well make you aware too.

Reactions: 6SoulTriox

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It deleted my previous account along with my games :(, I'm not mad, but at least I had a discount on them (Sigh).

I support Onlive, but it's funny that every time it's about to go downhill another company picks it up (Flappy-Bird Style) lol.

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For those wondering which games were supported, you can find it here
I've got 7 of the (as of now) 20 games, and since I play all my games on my laptop, I don't feel the need to stream my games to my tablet or phone. If they can add compatibility to more steam games I own, I might consider it. I never was a big fan of 'renting' games.

Do you need to have to install the games on a PC or something, or is it all stored on their servers? I currently have a steam library of over 250 games, and I install all my steam games on my laptop. My current library is about 854 GB, which is starting to fill my 1,5 TB game HDD quite fast.

And why do you need to have two subscriptions if you want everything from OnLive? If they just did one subscription for $25,- that'd be more interesting for people. Now you have to pay $15,- to play your already-bought games, and $10,- to get the possibility to buy games on their server. (If I'm not mistaken.)

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing. I remember getting a few games on onlive back before it went bankrupt. And today, I checked my library. No games. It's funny! *sarcasm*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea that's what I sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all