Hacking One Thread - All reported Gateway bricks

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I just wanted to post this here, because I think that anyone who's standing by gateway's side is not right on track.
Gateway has no right to brick anyone's device with their kill code, be it intentional or not. Consumers often opt for a cheaper choice of flashcarts because not many people can afford an 80$ piece of plastic. Bricking a device on purpose just because they didn't choose your product is not only unfair but immoral as well. Gateway is being a real dick by doing this because they don't want their shit stolen / cloned, but they don't mind making a shitload of money out of piracy (which is also theft, in a way).
Remember years ago how DSTT handled clones, they used a brick code that bricked the clone flashcarts, not the whole device. That wasn't either a moral thing to do but atleast there was no real harm done to the consumer.
Users that one day might have passed over to Gateway now are probabbly not going to because of this dick move.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just wanted to post this here, because I think that anyone who's standing by gateway's side is not right on track.
Gateway has no right to brick anyone's device with their kill code, be it intentional or not. Consumers often opt for a cheaper choice of flashcarts because not many people can afford an 80$ piece of plastic. Bricking a device on purpose just because they didn't choose your product is not only unfair but immoral as well. Gateway is being a real dick by doing this because they don't want their shit stolen / cloned but they don't mind making a shitload of money out of piracy (which is also theft, in a way).
Remember years ago how DSTT handled clones, they used a brick code that bricked the clone flashcarts, not the whole device. That wasn't either a moral thing to do but atleast there was no real harm done to the consumer.
Users that one day might have passed over to Gateway now are probabbly not going to because of this dick move.
Yep, it's also what killed the DSTT team in the first place. XD

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had the time to update all of the newly confirmed bricks yet, but will take care of this as soon as I can. I am going to try to get in touch with all of the people who have previously reported a brick, but from whom we haven't gotten full details as to how the brick occurred in the first place.

Of course, any mods who could do a better job of it than me are more than welcome to do so. I will have it done no later than tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it first.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
My 3DS is now shipped to its destination and I have emailed Gateway with the details. Took a gamble shipping it but its tracked and wasn't prepared to wait for an un-bricking service to evolve properly, even though I have my NAND backup.

Just want this to be sorted ASAP. They warned about using modified launchers, wasting their time and me losing money if I did, yet I emphasized in practically every sentence its 100% legit and would not waste my own time and money since its cost me £71 in total for the GW card and 8GB MicroSD + an additional £28 shipping fee to get the GW and 3DS shipped to them, not to mention the 3DS its self, which is worthless right now. So in total your looking at over £200 in damages so far to my pocket.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Gateway has no right to brick anyone's device with their kill code, be it intentional or not. Consumers often opt for a cheaper choice of flashcarts because not many people can afford an 80$ piece of plastic. Bricking a device on purpose just because they didn't choose your product is not only unfair but immoral as well. Gateway is being a real dick by doing this because they don't want their shit stolen / cloned, but they don't mind making a shitload of money out of piracy (which is also theft, in a way).

Totally agree, as it should not have ever crossed their minds in the first place. Also, the fact they have not manned up and admitted it was in their latest beta is bad and still saying its safe to use. I know people who are on the latest beta and are fine but having code implemented like that still poses a risk to legit users as it should not be there. Its like everyone having a nasty trojan virus on your PC, some may be fine, some not, depending on scenarios and usage which will trigger it

Kouichi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everybody,

our 3DS XL bricked 2 days ago.
We have purchased the "geniue" Gateway card from elewelt.com

the bricking progress:
We received both, our 3DS and the GW package on friday (24th January), at the same evening I set up the GW cards correctly. (I used the 2.0b1, but it was automatically updated to b2 as I updated the EMUNAND to 7.1.)
2 days the 3DS was working without any problems. Our blue card was used once at the 24th to install the GW Mode.

Since this time we stayed in GW Mode and played "Mario Kart 7 EUR", my wife got borred from this game and so we decided to change the game on the red card.
So we ejected the red card, our 3DS was on and in GW Mode. I copied "Donkey Kong Country returns" via the SD IMAGE programm like Mario Kart before.

I inserted the red card (3DS still alive in GW Mode) and boom... we got the blue screen with Errorcode 8046. Since that, our 3DS is dead.
Here are some pics:
http://imageshack.com/a/img560/1815/jr8s.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img199/4769/9xan.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img827/5416/ovka.jpg

We are upset :glare: and can't understand why they made this....
We have the luck that our dealer changed our unit yesterday. Now we got a brand new device with firmware 4.4. but are still afraid of using the "original" GW cards again.

This is our story...

sad but true :(

Kouichi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know because I'm new to the 3DS Community.
At the beginning (first boot into GW Mode) there was a 2.0b1, after the EMUNAND Backup, Diagnostic and then EMUNAND Update it was b2.

I'm pretty sure that I used the 2.0b1 files, downloaded from the german forum boerse because GW only list the new b2.

cabal_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
At the beginning (first boot into GW Mode) there was a 2.0b1, after the EMUNAND Backup, Diagnostic and then EMUNAND Update it was b2.

I'm pretty sure that I used the 2.0b1 files, downloaded from the german forum boerse because GW only list the new b2.

Please post the MD5 check for the gateway launcher file on your SD card

Kouichi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have made 2 screenshots on my home computer.
I will post them this evening. Currently I'm at my office.

greets

Jojse

Trophies
XP
Country

Sounds like you used some kind of modified Launcher.dat , because GW can't autoupdate itself... Maybe the uploader of the file namned it wrong so it was 2.0b2 from the beginning?
Me personaly haven't used my 3DSXL since all the bricks started, I'm afraid to even start it, with my luck I will see BSOD...

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
welcome to the brick club:rolleyes:

I used the 2.0b1, but it was automatically updated to b2 as I updated the EMUNAND to 7.1.)
2 days the 3DS was working without any problems. Our blue card was used once at the 24th to install the GW Mode.

That is currently not possible, as the launcher is not update-able from within the 3DS its self. The user must manually drag n drop the launcher.dat to and from the PC to the SD card.

I appreciate the OP is German and English is not first language. Maybe, there is a translation error here? His English is good and thanks for the input over this brick, yet maybe can you try and go over the steps again before this brick happened, as I dont see that bit you mentioned for real.

Thanks

Kouichi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
welcome to the brick club:rolleyes:

I used the 2.0b1, but it was automatically updated to b2 as I updated the EMUNAND to 7.1.)

That is currently not possible, as the launcher is not update-able from within the 3DS its self. The user must manually drag n drop the launcher.dat to and from the PC to the SD card.

I appreciate the OP is German and English is not first language. Maybe, there is a translation error here? His English is good and thanks for the input over this brick, yet maybe can you try and go over the steps again before this brick happened, as I dont see that bit you mentioned for real.

Thanks

I'm german and english is really not my native language. :)
I don't use any kind of translation programm so it can't be an error.

I'm sorry for not uploading the promised screenshots as they are saved on my wifes notebook and I couldn't access it yesterday.

And I must correct my statement:
I downloaded the 2.0b1 FW that was really the b2. Wrong archive name :glare:
creation date of the launcher.dat was the 23th december. (So b2)

I'm so sorry that I confused you with my statement. But unfortunately we really don't know what the GW team have build in their firmware.
So there can be a "automated update" function, to make sure that everybody is infected with their great brick code.

darkziosj

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm german and english is really not my native language. :)
I don't use any kind of translation programm so it can't be an error.

I'm sorry for not uploading the promised screenshots as they are saved on my wifes notebook and I couldn't access it yesterday.

And I must correct my statement:
I downloaded the 2.0b1 FW that was really the b2. Wrong archive name :glare:
creation date of the launcher.dat was the 23th december. (So b2)

I'm so sorry that I confused you with my statement. But unfortunately we really don't know what the GW team have build in their firmware.
So there can be a "automated update" function, to make sure that everybody is infected with their great brick code.

no not really... if people found the kill code finding an updater would be piece of cake.. and it would be pretty obvious if they did made an autoupdate.

Reactions: Bneundh

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I do have a sense of humour and the last post made me laugh. I have calmed down a bit now since last weeks brick but still pissed non of the less.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can add me to the brick list - mine bricked two days ago when I switched from playing Zelda to Super Mario 3D land. I have an official gateway (modchipcentral.com) using 2.0b2 and the MD5 of the launcher.dat etc all matched the ones posted on Gateway's website. I'm at work now, but I can post pics later if necessary.

Thankfully, I was able to buy a second 3DS for very cheap, and I'm using the 1.2 launcher since it doesn't have the bricking code and I have read no brick reports with this launcher. My plan is to eventually use an unbricking service for my old 3DS, as I don't trust the Gateway people.

Can anyone confirm that the 2.0b1 launcher is safe to use? Are there any reported bricks with 2.0b1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte