Gaming Older Titles Coming Back On WiiU?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
With sequels to 360/PS3 games coming to the Wii U, I can imagine re-released collections of games coming out somewhere down the line. Example, An Assassin's Creed collection featuring ACI and the ACII trilogy, since ACIII is coming to the Wii U.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you were really holding out for 5 years on all these games you wanted, hoping that Nintendo would somehow produce a console that'd get all these, then you're obviously mentally ill and should seek help immediately.
To put it bluntly, that's an absolutely ludicrous statement. And that's not what KingVamp was saying at all: Example, If I own a Wii and love mostly Nintendo games, but I really like Assassin's Creed, chances are I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on another gaming console or powerful computer JUST so I can play Assassin's Creed. Quite obviously, rereleases of games for the newest entry in a console series (Nintendo) that didnt previously have them would likely be embraced by certain people. Heck, I own an XBox 360 and a Wii (and plan to get a Wii U), but I would love to be able to get rid of my XBox 360 and get most of the games I want on one console.

D

Deleted_171835

If you were really holding out for 5 years on all these games you wanted, hoping that Nintendo would somehow produce a console that'd get all these, then you're obviously mentally ill and should seek help immediately.
To put it bluntly, that's an absolutely ludicrous statement. And that's not what KingVamp was saying at all: Example, If I own a Wii and love mostly Nintendo games, but I really like Assassin's Creed, chances are I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on another gaming console or powerful computer JUST so I can play Assassin's Creed. Quite obviously, rereleases of games for the newest entry in a console series (Nintendo) that didnt previously have them would likely be embraced by certain people. Heck, I own an XBox 360 and a Wii (and plan to get a Wii U), but I would love to be able to get rid of my XBox 360 and get most of the games I want on one console.
That's just plain silly. They didn't re-release all the great PS2 games on the 360 when it came out. Nor did they re-release all the great Nintendo 64 games on the Xbox. If you want to play those games, buy the damn console (or PC) that they were intended for.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's just plain silly. They didn't re-release all the great PS2 games on the 360 when it came out. Nor did they re-release all the great Nintendo 64 games on the Xbox. If you want to play those games, buy the damn console (or PC) that they were intended for.
Of course they didn't, because there was no need: PS2, XBox, and GCN were all in the same "league" of systems (essentially), so third parties usually made games for all systems. With 360, PS3, and Wii, however, Wii was in this "lower" tier of gaming, and TONS of third party titles never made it to the system. Also notice that when the Perfect Dark sequel came out for the 360, they rereleased the original N64 Perfect Dark for it. The same thing with Banjo Kazooie and Tooie when Nuts'n'Bolts came out on the 360. So this has happened before, and while I cant say for sure one way or the other whether this WILL happen again, there's no reason to dismiss the possibility.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I gotta agree with Guild here.

I don't like it (I missed out on the other consoles, and thus their exclusive games), but it's true: if I really wanted to play those, I'd have bought a PS3 or xbox360 by now. Developers know this as well, so they know the market for their resales is pretty slim. And it's probably not very profitable to spend the costs for a port.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind older games that were released last year being ported to the Wii U as long as something significant is added, a budget release or it is a complete pack sold at the same price as the other console versions (like those "Game of the Year editions") or even packing the game with another one.

At the moment the only "older" title that will be released is Arkham City. I'm confident that Rocksteady won't fart out a bad port, they have said that it won't be a straight up port and it makes fantastic use of the controller. Now this is one of those games that could be even better with the Wii U controller however I've already spent money on it.

I'm surprised there aren't more older games, Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS were all full off 1 year old+ titles I'm sure there would be a lot more...coming from Ubisoft. I think Ninja Gaiden III is meant to be a very different version but no idea how much so. I can see some older titles appearing online and as long as they are priced fine then thats cool by me.

The Minecrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind older games that were released last year being ported to the Wii U as long as something significant is added, a budget release or it is a complete pack sold at the same price as the other console versions (like those "Game of the Year editions") or even packing the game with another one.

At the moment the only "older" title that will be released is Arkham City. I'm confident that Rocksteady won't fart out a bad port, they have said that it won't be a straight up port and it makes fantastic use of the controller. Now this is one of those games that could be even better with the Wii U controller however I've already spent money on it.

I'm surprised there aren't more older games, Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS were all full off 1 year old+ titles I'm sure there would be a lot more...coming from Ubisoft. I think Ninja Gaiden III is meant to be a very different version but no idea how much so. I can see some older titles appearing online and as long as they are priced fine then thats cool by me.
That would be cool, but personally I could care less about Wii-U "editions" of Wii games, since it's already Wii compatible. I'm more concerned with Gamecube games, since the Wii U won't have that support.

A Zelda HD collection that includes Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
Haha, that would be awesome... I highly doubt it would happen, but awesome.

D

Deleted_171835

Of course they didn't, because there was no need: PS2, XBox, and GCN were all in the same "league" of systems (essentially), so third parties usually made games for all systems. With 360, PS3, and Wii, however, Wii was in this "lower" tier of gaming, and TONS of third party titles never made it to the system. Also notice that when the Perfect Dark sequel came out for the 360, they rereleased the original N64 Perfect Dark for it. The same thing with Banjo Kazooie and Tooie when Nuts'n'Bolts came out on the 360. So this has happened before, and while I cant say for sure one way or the other whether this WILL happen again, there's no reason to dismiss the possibility.
Not true. There were a ton of games that came out on the PS2 that the other systems didn't get. Multiplatform releases weren't common back then. Oh and re-releasing Perfect Dark on XBLA doesn't count. That's closer to the Virtual Console on the Wii.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not true. There were a ton of games that came out on the PS2 that the other systems didn't get. Multiplatform releases weren't common back then. Oh and re-releasing Perfect Dark on XBLA doesn't count. That's closer to the Virtual Console on the Wii.
Did I ever SAY that there were no exclusives for PS2/GCN/XBox? No, I did not. Also, did I specify whether I was talking about disc based rereleases or virtual download rereleases? No, I did not. Though it's quite likely that games from the current generation wouldn't get a "virtual" release, simply because of their massive size (not impossible, though). But regardless of what it was like back then, that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't happen now. That said, I think my main point still stands.

D

Deleted_171835

Did I ever SAY that there were no exclusives for PS2/GCN/XBox? No, I did not. Also, did I specify whether I was talking about disc based rereleases or virtual download rereleases? No, I did not. Though it's quite likely that games from the current generation wouldn't get a "virtual" release, simply because of their massive size (not impossible, though) My point still stands.
I never said that you said that. Re-releases of old games on XBLA are totally different from re-releasing games that came out this gen. Those are classics. They're released because most people don't own the original platform or to promote a newer version that's coming out. There's no point in re-releasing games that came out already (unless they're still relatively new like Arkham City) on a new platform.

Oh and the fact is that we didn't get many multi-platform releases last gen (or else the Gamecube and Xbox probably would have done much better). The PS2 got the vast majority of AAA third-party games. When the 360 came out, they didn't re-release any old PS2 games. Why do that now? Especially when there's no guarantee of making enough profit to offset the cost of porting it over.

Off-topic: Honestly, are you just DESPERATE to find SOMETHING wrong with what people say in their posts, no matter how ludicrous or insignificant? Cuz it seems like you enjoy doing that quite often
jhUtu.gif

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I never said that you said that. Re-releases of old games on XBLA are totally different from re-releasing games that came out this gen. Those are classics. They're released because most people don't own the original platform or to promote a newer version that's coming out. There's no point in re-releasing games that came out already (unless they're still relatively new like Arkham City) on a new platform. Oh and the fact is that we didn't get many multi-platform releases last gen (or else the Gamecube and Xbox probably would have done much better). The PS2 got the vast majority of AAA third-party games. When the 360 came out, they didn't re-release any old PS2 games. Why do that now? Especially when there's no guarantee of making enough profit to offset the cost of porting it over.
Yeah, I get that. But it would be nice though. And it's definitely not impossible either.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Everyone has an opinion and the right to voice it (at least in America lol). I didn't intend for this topic to become a flame war XD. I don't give a shit about a companies profit. I care about what they give me as a consumer. I think a lot of people would love to have older games come back, but , like soul said, it probably isn't going to happen but one can always hope.

Reactions: 1 person

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I don't see companies making full releases for older games... But quick and dirty ports attached to their new releases I could see (Think GTA4 bundled with GTA 5 if it ever came to Wii U), or a bundling of a bunch of old games ala PS3's "HD collections" (Sly Cooper, Jak series, Metal Gear, etc)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TBH Perfect Dark XBLA kicked so much ass though that it's actually pretty advanced compared to its original version. Gameplay is the same, yes, but EVERYTHING has an online mode (even splitscreen), it has Goldeneye maps and weapons, and it runs at like 60FPS. Game is fucking awesome, but I'm going off topic.

If the only franchise you like amongst a Xbox 360, PS3, or PC is Assassin's Creed, then you have a really shit taste in games. No one buys a console JUST to play Assassin's Creed, there's like a hundred other games to play that aren't Assassin's Creed on these consoles that are worth playing.

Also, it blows my mind that you would easily be willing to rebuy every Xbox 360 game you got just to have a Wii U version. I also find it odd that you'd be able to spend god knows how many dollars on this (say you have 5 games that get a Wii U port, that's probably $200-$300 right there) but wouldn't buy an older console which is nowadays pretty cheap to play a franchise you like (and much more).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How on earth did this come down to my taste in games and whether they're crappy or not? I'm not saying Assassin's Creed is the only Xbox game I like (not by a long shot). I'm also not saying I would rebuy every single Xbox/PS3 game I already own on the Wii U. I'm just saying that generally IT WOULD BE NICE. Why doesn't anyone get that? I'm not saying it HAS to happen or IT WILL happen: I'm saying just that: "It would be nice."

Also, I just recently got my xbox (late birthday gift from my cousin who wanted me to play a game she had a small part in developing, long story), so my library is currently very small... even in my case then, if I was to rebuy all the xbox games I already owned on a hypothetical Wii-U release, I'll only have "wasted" about $40 or $50. Not to mention that theoretically, such games would be cheaper (being old rereleases), and not to mention it might mean me being able to just sell my xbox and games for about $150 to buy them.

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with xwatchman on this one. there are a few games I would like to play that were xbox or PS exclusive, but i can't afford to buy another console plus the game. So i just don't play them even though I want to. I don't think this makes me mentally ill. I just can't afford to buy every console from every generation, and keep my PC reasonably up to date.

I prefer PC to console but there are less and less games hitting PC all the time. In fact, i went from original NES to Wii, i have a PS1 somewhere but only because it was free.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer PC to console but there are less and less games hitting PC all the time. In fact, i went from original NES to Wii, i have a PS1 somewhere but only because it was free.

Actually, I'd say the exact OPPOSITE of that is true... there are MORE PC games being released than ever over the last couple of years do to steam and stagnating consoles. Maybe fewer exclusives to the PC, but more and more games are going multiplatform simply because of the astronominally increasing cost of making a game, the concept of intentionally limiting your audience is becoming very unpopular.

Hell, even timed exclusives are becoming increasingly rarer and rarer. At the start of the PS3/X-box360 life cycles, it was common for one system to get a game several months before the other because Sony or Microsoft paid developers a sum to have it so... now developers aren't even willing to risk that because split releases ended up selling worse.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It seems a lot of people here ( especially Guild ) have a short memory when it comes to consoles launches.
The Wii, for example , in 2006/2007 had quite a few games ported over from PS2 or Xbox with the excuse of new control system or wide screen support. And it worked quite well from developers as well.
The Godfather for example, was skipped on the GC but came out for Wii with improved ( really ) controls, and so did Scarface, Rygar, Bully, and even RE4 ( which was already on GC ) was successfully ported to the WII ( along with most RE games ).
Metroid Prime Trilogy was an exclusive GC, but that didn't stop Nintendo from porting/re-releasing that on the Wii in the name of new play style.
They all had moderately success, and certainly was a quick way to do some cash.
The Wii U has a new, innovative controller, and full HD graphic, what makes you think developers wouldn't want to do the same on the new platform ??
And as aforementioned, the Wii U will get sequels to current gen games that never came out on the Wii, like Assassin Creed, Batman and so on.
It makes only perfect sense that they will port previous installments of those games to the Wii U , and don't forget that HD remakes are very common these days ( God Of war trilogy for PS3, Halo for Xbox 360, Metal gear etc... ) and they only offer HD graphic and compared to last gen.

Of course we will get older games ported to the Wii U , and I'll be very interested if I could get an Assassin Creed trilogy or Bioshock collection on my Wii U.
Some people prefer to have only one console around for their gaming needs you know, not everybody has the space/possibility to own multiple consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: