Hacking [OLD!] PS3 "jailbreak" F.A.Q.

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
[*]Q - Can Sony detect me using this online and ban me?
A - Yes, the backup manager's ID is easily detected by Sony when you're playing online.

I've seen information about people changing the ID from "LAUN12345" to an official game ID, might hide the fact your using Backup Launcher, but I'm not sure.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, that's what I was wondering : why make a special title ID instead of an existing one for stealth use ?
If there's only the Title ID and not a unique ID per disc, sony can't detect if the corresponding game is an original retail one or if it's the same copied game which everyone are using.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice faq, although I do have one question, that I'll guess I'll put here.

I've looked around and can't seem to find anything, the power cycle you have to do every time you want to use it. Is that something that's likely to be eliminated once the hack matures? or is it something that always going to be there, due to either the way the hack works or the way the ps3 works.

I've looked around, but obviously it's early days and most are just concerned with getting it to work on a variety of devices, so any one got any idea?

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You might want to add the PSgroove information, you can just use any normal USB instead of buying PSjailbreak you just stick the files on a USB and your ready to go ( No copied game suppot YET)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
zeromac said:
You might want to add the PSgroove information, you can just use any normal USB instead of buying PSjailbreak you just stick the files on a USB and your ready to go ( No copied game suppot YET)
1 - Psgroove is there.
2 - The site itself says it doesn't work on USB flash drives and lists the programmable USB development chips that it does work with.
3 - One of the first Q&As says it's not a flash drive.
4 - The first post of the news thread (which is over 100 pages now, so it's certainly not ignored) says it's not a flash drive.

It's not a flash drive.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ComplicatioN said:
There is a "Ps3 Stealth Backup Manager", Real or Fake?
http://www.ps3hax.net/2010/09/ps3hax-stealth-backup-manager/
QUOTE said:
Just a heads up that the EBOOT.BIN would still contain references to the ID LAUN12345
QUOTEAre you sure you want to delete the selected game?....../dev_bdvd.......You must insert any real game in the drive to use this feature..%s%s/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN..%s%s....Game EBOOT.BIN is not valid, can't launch.......Deleting...Please Wait..dev_bdvd......../dev_usb00%d....%s/GAMEZ........%s/GAMEZ/%s.....%s/GAMEZ/......./dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345........Backup to internal hd?..By clicking yes, you acknowledge you own this game and backup is for PERSONAL USE ONLY..rb......Game EBOOT.BIN is not valid, can't backup: %lx..Backup to external hd?..By clicking yes, you acknowledge you own this game and backup is for PERSONAL USE ONLY..Backup Manager..X: Load O: Backup.....X: Load /\: Delete....%s......draw_thread.....Disclaimer: Backup Manager, its owners, partners, and associates do not condone piracy. Our products are only intended for playing legitimate backups and homebrew software in territories whose legislations allows this. We shall assume no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for any misuse of our product or for any loss that may occur using Backup Manaqer. You are responsible for complying with the law in your country. Our products are not licensed, approved or endorsed by Sony. Click yes to agree....modelViewProj...position........color...rb......%s%s/PS3_GAME/PARAM.SFO.TITLE...TITLE_ID........%s%s/PS3_GAME/ICON0.PNG................./dev_bdvd.......dev_bdvd......../......./dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345/GAMEZ/./dev_usb00%d/GAMEZ/.....game_mtx........game_thread......???????????????................/.......STAT FAIL!!!....rb......wb......FAILURE!!!......FWRITE FAIL!!!..Backup Progress.Preparing to Backup.....Libdbgfont ran out of buffer.(%d Letters over)..libdbgfont......position........letterTex...........??.........................................................................
........................ +-#0,;:_..........................?....................hjltzLv..(.n.u.l.l.)....(null).. ........00000000000000000000000000000000........................write: writing from stdin (fd 0) not allowed....read: reading from stdout or stderr (fd 1 & 2) not allowed......................abort() is called from 0x............... from 0x.........Continue... (Lv-2 is still running.)

So as for that particular method, I'm not going to trust it yet.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It seems the "Ps3 Stealth Backup Manager" also have problem with games with updated content.

the "stealth" package include these games ID (you pick the PSgroove mod you want, corresponding to the game you want the ID):
SEGA Superstars Tennis
Brutal Legend
Fanatastic Four: ROTSS
Modern Warfare 2
God of War 3
CoD: World at War
Red Dead Redemption
BF: Bad Company 2

I don't know a lot the PS3 (I don't own one yet), but what I understand :

It seems the ID are different when you update the game content.
The "Superstars Tennis" use the ID of the original Disc, before applying the update.
So, if you have already up to date game, you can't use this loader.
and if you are not up to date yet, it asks you to update the game, but being in PSJB mode, you can't update at all, so you can't use it.

Plus, as you said in your quote Rydian, it seems there's still the original loader ID :/
I wouldn't trust this "stealth" loader or pack either.

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait to see all the awesome, much cheaper alternatives to the Jailbreak now that people are being sued left and right for distributing it. I may have to get my hands on one of these Teensy++ boards.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
How hard will it be for Sony to patch the exploit used in a new firmware update? You would think that if it were easy to patch then Sony would just do that rather than filing a bunch of lawsuits but given that it is Sony, who knows?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
How hard will it be for Sony to patch the exploit used in a new firmware update? You would think that if it were easy to patch then Sony would just do that rather than filing a bunch of lawsuits but given that it is Sony, who knows?
According to this it's a software problem that should be easily fixable (verify that the data will fit before copying it).

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
nl255 said:
According to this it's a software problem that should be easily fixable (verify that the data will fit before copying it).

Still, if it is easily fixable (like the PSP savegame exploits) why bother with all the lawsuits instead of just fixing it? Mabye the bootloader isn't updatable after the initial programming?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person