Hacking Old Computer Old NDS should i bother.....

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
*moneo

windows XP is not compatiable with my computer there is no way i can install it ! the chip set is too old on my motherboard

now i tested the g software and i got the kernel error but it dissapeared not poping up anymore for me i think it poped up cuase i slected my computer as my u drive lol

i selected c drive and tried to write new supermario bros and i got this

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5568/animation1rq3.gif

it said write ok but when i check my C drive there is no gba nds folders or the super mario bros game

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's the same problem it has on win98, so it's not going to work on ME either.

At this point you basically have a few options:

1) Install winXP. I'm running XP on a computer older than yours. The age of your computer is not the problem, and you don't need more RAM(although it would speed things up). If you tried to install XP over ME without reformatting first that was most likely the problem, even when that works it causes all sorts of problems.

If you happen to have an extra hard disk, you could use that to see if you can install XP on a clean disk without having to wipe your current ME installation.

2) Get a DS-Xtreme. It's fully drag and drop. You just plug it in, copy the roms, and it works. It's more expensive and it doesn't play GBA games, but you won't find a more simple solution.

Unfortunately it's not yet clear that this will be a well supported product. They have only updated it once since it was released, and the updater was only released for windows despite their claims of supporting Mac & Linux. I don't know if the updater worked on 9x/ME, but if you have access to an XP box you should be fine.

Despite all that, most of the people that have a DS-X seem to be very happy with it.

3) Try and find a different slot 2 card that supports winME. There may be something else that will work that plays GBA games and is cheaper than the DS-X.

4) Get a new computer.

Moneo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
windows XP is not compatiable with my computer there is no way i can install it ! the chip set is too old on my motherboard
And which chipset would that be?

I can't think of anything that supports a 900 mhz cpu, but isn't compatible with xp...

Vincent Vega

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I´ve been using a PIII 650MHz 256MB with Windows 2000 Pro and it works well for M3, Supercard and EZ-Flash IV.
tongue.gif

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
He... I've a AMD don't-know what, 20gb HD and 128 RAM.:-(

(http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=40545&hl=)

I've a M3 MiniSD and a cheap card reader. It works great!

In others words, it should work perfectly to you!

BoneMonkey

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
where can i buy a DX extreame seem to be sold out everywhere ?

if i cant get one of those which M3 lite thingie should i get can anyone recomend one i mainly wanna play castlvania POR and FFII

seems like the M3 is very very popular im leaning toward that one

i also got to buy a card reader and card ! whew boy hehe

BoneMonkey

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok after more research i think im going to go with the

M3 Lite Pro, M3 MicroSD Lite Professional, with passcard 3
http://www.gameyeeeah.com/m3-lite-pro-m3-m...card-p-181.html
60 bucks

plus a 512 MB SD card

20 bucks

usb mini SD reader

now here is my questions will that m3lite work on the chubby old DS? i dont have a lite

will the software work on ME ? *UPDATE i downloaded the sfotware i got a kernel 32 error ignored it and i was able to write new super mario bros ONTO MY C: DRIVE ! i think the software works !!!!!!!!!!!!!

is the card able to play castlevania POR and FFIII ?

hopefually i can order this tonight

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should email them and make sure the GBA shell is included. They show a picture of it, but it's not in the list of included items.

The pro version does not play GBA games larger than 4 megabytes. That's why it's cheaper than the regular version.

You should ask in the M3 forum (here on GBATemp, not on the official M3 forum, if there is one) if the software works on windows ME. The M3 is made by the same company that makes the G6, so I wouldn't take any chances.

A lot of people were having problems getting the new castlevania to work on the M3. You should check the castlevania PoR thread to see if they figured out how to fix it. Dunno about FF3.

Check out this list before you buy an SD card. Different cards can vary greatly in performance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: