Hacking Old 6.20 PRO-B8 user, a bit confused on upgrade process.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, sorry for starting another one of "these" threads, but I was having a hard time finding some of the specific answers I was looking for. I just recently starting getting back into my PSP, and my friend and I were wanting to upgrade to the latest PRO CFW so we can take advantage of the new online adhoc plugin. Problem is, I've never been all that educated on this stuff in general, and I wasn't sure exactly on how to go about upgrading.

I'm using an older model 3000 (spirit green MSG edition) with the permanent 6.20 PRO-B8 and I was hoping to maybe keep that permanent option if possible (it's not that big of a deal of course, it's just nice to not have to run the CFW starter file every time.) That being the case, which CFW should I be looking to install, and how do I go about upgrading to it? I also read that it was advised to uninstall the previous CFW before upgrading to the new version, but I wasn't sure if I could do that on the PSP itself (by going into the CFW menu) or if I needed to download something special in order to do it. Any advice on this would be really appreciated.

As for my friend, he's got a newer model 3000 so he's running the 6.39 PRO-B CFW. Is the process for upgrading his more or less the same as mine, or will he need to use a different CFW, do some things differently, etc?

Anyway, sorry again about this; I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some crucial step and screw something up heh. I read a comment about making sure to disable plug-ins before upgrading, so I went ahead and did that (POPS was the only one I had). If there are any other important steps like that, that we should know about, please let us know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Can this be done without a clean SD card? I only have my 32gb at the moment.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Run the PRO-B8's permanent patch installer, and choose to uninstall it.
2 - Run PRO-B8's installer and choose to uninstall it.
3 - Download and run the 6.20 PRO-C installer, run it.
4 - Download and tun the 6.20 PRO-C perm patch installer, run it.

It's really that simple. The process is the same for his model, minus the perm patch stuff, and he needs 6.39 PRO.

http://code.google.com/p/procfw/downloads/list

And yeah you don't need a clean card. You can have the installers and uninstallers in there with normal stuff no worries.

Reactions: Alacres

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton for the help Rydian :). I tend to make things more complicated for myself than they need to be, and this is no exception :P.

I did have a question on the files I need though. On that link, I was only able to find the PRO-B8 installer, but not the permanent patch installer or the PRO-C (I could only find PRO-C2... does that work also?) If this is just something I need to google for, that's cool, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

Edit: Ahh, I just realized the permanent patch is part of the PRO-B8 file... derp hehe.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, everything seems to be working smoothly :). The permanent patch didn't go through the first time after asking me to run some "Fake Vshmain" test or something like that, but when I ran it again and said no, it installed properly.

Now I just need to get the online plugin installed. I found this guide here - http://forum.coldbird.uk.to/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14&sid=65f8c16d7bc6f76eda03f216fdf8884a - so hopefully it will be pretty simple to do.

Thanks again for all the help.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was thinking that's what it did. I honestly didn't notice the button switching though so maybe that messed me up lol.

This is unrelated, but I've been trying to get the Prometheus adhoc thing to work, and so far, I'm still not sure how to see if it's actually working properly or not. I was trying to follow a guide but I think the guy was using a different CFW version, because he was talking about enabling this "Unlock memory in PSP games" option in the gui, and I wasn't seeing an option like that.

Don't suppose there's some good reading material about the online adhoc stuff around here? I've read stuff about Prometheus from a few different sites, but some of the info didn't seem consistent, even down to how to install it properly. So far, I've tried setting up a multiplayer game for Gods Eater, and I was able to bring up the Prometheus UI (where you can chat, see the number of players, etc), but I'm still not sure if the online function itself is actually working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse