Gaming OG GBA *No Sound Issue*

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a original GBA with back lit AGS-101 mod. It happened after I opened it up testing the custom ribbon cable adapter to the AGS-001 front lit screen assembly and it worked! After everything was confirmed, I put everything back to their original spot then I notice the sound does not come on.

Here's what I've done:
- Desolder and solder on a GBASP speaker, no luck.
- Wiggle the speaker wires if it'll come on with unit on, no luck.
- No sound from head phone jack either.

Here's the thing though:
- If I push up on the volume thumb potentiometer, sound comes on! Let go and sound goes away. Weird.

I want to know if what is the main component that is needed for the sound come on, the head phone jack or volume potentiometer?? Sounds like there's a loose joint somewhere.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The potentiomenter is obviously at fault if holding it makes the sound come back on - it's either loose on the board, broken or simply dirty, as often times those things have a bad connection due to dust accumulated inside the device. I had a similar sound issue with my old GBC and GBA, it popped up due to years upon years of not using them, but a couple swipes of the potentiometer back and forth seemed to have "fixed" it.

Try manipulating it back and forth a couple times, if that fails, "clean" it with some isopropyl alcohol or high proof spirit and a swab and/or give it some compressed air treatment, let it dry and see if that improves the sound. If not, you might have to check if the component became loose on the board. If not, you'll have to replace it.

The headphones only receive audio signal if you short certain pins on the connector, as seen here:

GBASP-EXT2PINS-1.png

But even then, volume control is still on the potentiometer, leading me to belive that it's the component at fault.

EDIT: Herp-a-derp, you mean the original GBA, so no connector there, just the jack - nevermind the latter part of the post, but I'll leave the pinout here in case someone has a similar issue on an SP model. ;)

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The connection seems tight, no loose or broken joint. I don't know where to clean either because the component looks fine. I'll try to clean the solder joint areas with rubbing alcohol to see if it'll work.

I might try to desolder and resolder the potentiometer just to see if it'll work again w/o using pressure to get it to come back.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The connection seems tight, no loose or broken joint. I don't know where to clean either because the component looks fine. I'll try to clean the solder joint areas with rubbing alcohol to see if it'll work.

I might try to desolder and resolder the potentiometer just to see if it'll work again w/o using pressure to get it to come back.
If the connection is nice and snug then cleaning the leads won't help you in any way - dust is probably accumulated in the actual potentiometer, which means you have a problem only compressed air can solve. The alternative is replacing the potentiometer - finding a compatible one or at least one of the same size should not be too big of an issue. Worst-case scenario, you could always bridge the connection and have a constant volume. Speaking of bridging, does that get the sound going at all? That'd narrow down the issue to that particular component.

Reactions: Nusdogg

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I fixed it.

There's like 4-5 soldering joint that comes out from the potentiometer and onto the motherboard. I got those hot and lift them up a bit, Now there's sound again w/o bothering the volume potentiometer.

Here's what I'm talking about:

GBA_Potentiometer_zps2a61bc13.jpg

I appreciate all helpful advice. Thanks again!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think I fixed it.

There's like 4-5 soldering joint that comes out from the potentiometer and onto the motherboard. I got those hot and lift them up a bit, Now there's sound again w/o bothering the volume potentiometer.

Here's what I'm talking about:

I appreciate all helpful advice. Thanks again!
Great, good to know that you got it to work! When you have a spare potentiometer, just replace the borked one (it's always nice to have volume control :P), other than that, happy that I could help! :yay:

Reactions: Nusdogg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night