Offensive wallpaper?

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally...i find it both sad and welcoming that it took 1000's of people dying to 'unit' our nation. I live in New York (not the city) but I'm glad the towers were hit. My heart goes out to the families who lost a loved one, but the attack on the towers reminded us (the U.S.) that we aren't invincible...

I stand corrected on my earlier point, though I don't agree with you. I don't think we need lessons like that. I think the people who have lost loved ones elsewhere on the planet as a result of our lesson would find it cold comfort that we were the wiser for it.
I feel bad for the families who lost loved ones during the attacks, but my heart also goes out to the lives lost overseas fighting the 'war' on terrorism. I just don't think if is our (U.S.) responsibility to police the world.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally...i find it both sad and welcoming that it took 1000's of people dying to 'unit' our nation. I live in New York (not the city) but I'm glad the towers were hit. My heart goes out to the families who lost a loved one, but the attack on the towers reminded us (the U.S.) that we aren't invincible...

How you could POSSIBLY say that our country is united is beyond me. After the initial shock of the attack wore off, people were just as hostile as ever towards each other.
Thats the thing, we can't even stay united. We take our freedoms forgranted and it amazes me that people still believe this war propaganda crap over Iraq. Anyone remember when our first target was Afghanistan? I don't want to turn this thread into a political post, my opinion;

We deserved it (9/11)
The 'war' in Iraq (and other places) not needed
Do i want it to happen again? Hell no!

And again, my heart goes out to those who lost their lives and their families...

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks like shit? Hmm, maybe. But please let’s take into consideration that this is something I made simply to grace my own desktop. Not like I entered it into the county fair expecting to win that coveted first place ribbon that 84 year old Marla Mayes has won five times straight and doesn't seem like she's ever going to die so someone else can get a chance at glory. Miss Mayes
mad.gif
Back on topic though, I personally love Gustave Dore's work so I like it. I respect your opinions on its aesthetic appeal but I do take exception to being treated as though I'm going through some fad. Saying that I did it to purposely piss people off only makes me feel as though you might be one of the people I offended and as such you're simply writing it off as me trying to anger you, rather then facing the idea that the expressed concept might have some merit. But who's to say? Maybe it is a fad, before this I had a collage of African American figure heads with the words "STOP COONING" stamped in the center of it. I'm black and was just expressing my feelings on the sad state of affairs. The same is true of the towers. I like to turn my computer on and be reminded of something that brings the fire out of me. You know? But if self expression and feeling passionate about the ills of society is a fad then I am guilty. Maybe I'll dye my hair raven black and change my name to Hateful. OH wait, you know what I’ll throw an extra L on it, yeah that’ll make them notice me.

Mthrnite, you’re an intelligent man and I can't say I agree with everything you've said, but admit that some of it may carry weight and as such I intend to think over your ideas for some time. I'll admit I am young, only 19
shy.gif
But in those years I've done a lot of living and a lot of thinking. When I was 14 my sister abandoned her son and since then my mother and I have cared for him. I wouldn't say I played the role of his father (I wouldn't know how) but I was and still am his primary care giver. I know kids aren't easy, but a lot of people don't really put time into their children. They don't instill values and ideals. They don't cultivate dreams. Of course I can only speak on what I see, and every day I open my eyes to a world of promiscuous daughters and lost sons, all thrown across unevenly paved streets. But it is what it is right? As far as people still toiling goes, I'm not sure if the most ambiguous biblical allegory could be stretched to accommodate the fact that many of us sit in an air conditioned room shuffling papers to make rich men richer.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Prophet, I'll not dismiss you for your age, you strike me as an intelligent person, and I think I can understand where you're coming from. I'd say strive for understanding yourself, who you are, what your place is. There is time to understand the rest of the world, right now just come to know and tame the fire within you (as hokey as that might sound.) All pain is local, the most empathetic person in the world can't feel a toothache of the person standing next to them. I'm not saying don't try. Understanding our own pain is what makes us human, striving to understand someone elses, is what makes us humane. Your local reality is what's most important right now though, good luck in making a difference there. Do well, and you may make a difference in a much larger sense. Take good care of your nephew, you are more important than you probably know. Above all, never stop assessing yourself.

Sorry about all that "snatch the pebble from my hand and you may leave" stuff... It's late, I'll use that as my excuse, and sign off accordingly.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont really care, but I think its a pretty ugly wallpaper
Exactly... If people are offended by it, it's their own fault.

In fact, I think your sig is much worse, even though it won't quite work if you cut that way. Remember the olde internet motto: "Down, not Across"

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont really care, but I think its a pretty ugly wallpaper
Exactly! It's one of the ugliest wallpapers I've ever seen. Even if it's not something you'd want in a "country fair" I can't for the life of me understand who'd want to see this lousy half-assed attempt at design on their screen every morning. It's only purpose is to provoke a reaction out of a spectator (and even then that's no excuse for crap graphic design).

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion (here I go again!)
It's not about the design, though it does have symetry going for it.
It's not even about the specific subject matter.
There lurks something beneath...
Can you see it?
Of course you can, can't you?
Don't tell me it's just me.

ydnar64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People who think in an liner method might find this offensive. But people who can see out of the line can see this is nothing bad at all. Me personally i wouldn't put it up, but that's becuase i hate having too much going on my desktop.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is *Ouch*
cry.gif
Now I know the pain you felt the day you shared this OrR:

205079743_970335bf06.jpg

Hold me brother, hold me.

But seriously, the responses I've gotten seem in many cases to be very mean spirited. Luckily for you all, I've decided that rather then creating a time machine for the explicit purpose of slamming sledge hammers into the swollen bellies of your pregnant mothers and forcing your fathers to bungee jump with the necessary rope tied to their nads, I will instead refrain and take a page from OrR, "Well, I love it and that's all that's important."

The horse is officially dead.

hatefull

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'll dye my hair raven black and change my name to Hateful. OH wait, you know what I’ll throw an extra L on it, yeah that’ll make them notice me.

Being Puerto Rican, I don't need to dye my hair raven black. And as far as the name "Hatefull", it's spelled incorrectly on purpose, it's a forum name, Prophet, nothing more. Why would you call me out on that when your avatar has a misspelling(dieing?)?

I know it may seem childish that I actually responded back, and I don't want to start a flame war, I meant what I said in my first post, and you sort of proved it by admitting your age.

Also, I applaud you for being a stand up guy and taking care of your nephew, there aren't many guys that would do that. Now, I'll get back to Gears of War on my big ass t.v.! woo-hoo!

D

Deleted User

What did you expect ? You made this wallpaper to get people to react upon seeing it. If you just wanted to make some comparison like this, you could share it verbally with your friends. Making such kind of stuff means that at some point you sat over your computer saying : "hey, I want to look cool and smart, so I will make something that people going into my room will see and act. In the end I will pass in the eyes of everyone as the smart one, even if I don't take for truth all that I've said". It's your problem, your private matters.
But here, you care to show it to us, it the higher step into being an attention needing person. All you could expect was this kind of reactions.
You can't act to pass as a smart boy, you've got to do something for a lot of different reasons, and afterwards, time and people will judge if you are smart. All things done to drive admiration for you will result in this kind of disaster. Because you deserve it ! One day, you'll grow, and understand
smile.gif

It was a 2cents analysis. Maybe because I'm also an attention whore (yes sorry I know you was going to answer that, I stole it from you
wink.gif
)

remisser

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I take offense to the comparison. One (babel) is a fairy tale, the other is reality.

Also you make it sound like you take offense at women taking drugs to endure childbirth or the human race living longer. Well OK then son of Adam, you better get rid of the internet because they didn't use those in the bible easier. "GOD" forbid life should be made easier through science.

Regarding your SWEEPING comment about how "many cases parents don't even put any effort into raising their kids, they just feed and water them like some type of potted plant." -- you're going to need to learn not to use such generalized views on the world. Seriously, what the hell are you basing that statement on? Did you poll 100 families and 80 out of 100 said they don't put any effort in raising children? Or are you basing this on the news which rarely ever reports the majority of parents who do put effort into raising their kids? Or, and I think this is the most likely, are you talking out of your ass based on your limited knowledge of the treatment you and your select friends state that you have with your respective parents? Do you think there weren't as many cases of parental neglect throughout the course of history, Bible Boy? Well in your SACRED book that you so lovingly refer to more than once in this thread there's a story about a neglectful father named Eli. Give it a read sometime.

You're an extremely bloviating personality. You hate to hear this, but (and here's my SWEEPING statement) it tends to be the truth "a lot of kids your age are." and "You will grow out of it." You got offended when someone said that earlier, I saw. Maybe you'll think twice before making sweeping statements like that.

Oh, and the wallpaper looks like feces. hahaha.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is *Ouch*Â
cry.gif
Now I know the pain you felt the day you shared this OrR:

205079743_970335bf06.jpg

Hold me brother, hold me.

But seriously, the responses I've gotten seem in many cases to be very mean spirited. Luckily for you all, I've decided that rather then creating a time machine for the explicit purpose of slamming sledge hammers into the swollen bellies of your pregnant mothers and forcing your fathers to bungee jump with the necessary rope tied to their nads, I will instead refrain and take a page from OrR, "Well, I love it and that's all that's important."

The horse is officially dead.

I actually think its nice
biggrin.gif
OrR's become quite famous on the internet (even if it is for the "ugliest DS"
unsure.gif

And please leave our parents out of this, pick at those who are guilty, not the innocent.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Never said you misspelled Hateful. I took it as a double meaning, not only are you hateful, but you are also hate-filled. Although one could easily dedicate a book of preposterous length to the exploration of such a deep name, I did somehow gleam meaning from it. As far as "dieing" goes, you are 100% right. My bad, I'm from Generation Y, spell-check does half of my work -- sometimes against my better judgment.

QUOTE said:
"hey, I want to look cool and smart, so I will make something that people going into my room will see and act. In the end I will pass in the eyes of everyone as the smart one, even if I don't take for truth all that I've said"

It’s like you live in my heart or something. I recently purchased a JumboTron which I installed outside my home. Its screen is dedicated to showing images to upset onlookers. But even with all the attention I get from the angry mob at my door, it can't compare to the feeling I get when I post something here. It’s like the whole world is watching me, you know? If I could choose to speak in front of the U.N. or the gbatemp audience, I would have to turn Ban Ki-moon down.

It stings me that you think I'm doing all this to appear smart amongst such geniuses such as you all. I am who I appear to be, I wear my monocle and fez only because they are quite comfortable. I can scarcely believe I actually put my pipe down, to even respond to such allegations.

I and many of my friends share a similar world view. We attend the same rallies and such. I don't believe any of them have seen my wallpaper, but I doubt they would find anything wrong with it. We have after all discussed things of similar subject matter. Now the friend that thought the wallpaper was one step too far isn't in this group. Just because she didn't see the world the same way I do, wasn't reason enough to dismiss here thoughts on the matter. So I came here to -- for this reason and this reason alone -- SEE WHAT YOU ALL THOUGHT. I know it’s a progressive idea, to use a forum as a place to speak openly about ideas, but it was time someone pushed the envelope. Seriously, I just wanted to stretch my palette a bit, get a taste of other world views, and see if she was indeed right. I remain very wary about becoming locked into any ideology be it mundane or militant. I didn't mean to offend any of you, I was hoping to in a mature manner, discuss a concept. Maybe the task was too great for a GBA forum and for that I apologize.

P.S. remisser you’re cute. I've seen the inside of a church twice, only reason I bought the bible up was because Babel (the fairytale) is contained within it. If one is to believe in Babel then I feel they should consider the towers may have been a similar act. As far as parenting goes, hard to think anyone could disagree with the fact that good parents are hard to find. None the less that is a view (as I previously stated) that is grounded in the inner city of New York. Your side of the world or borough may look completely different.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whilst I don't like the image as a desktop (I prefer a plain solid colour myself) I like the imagery contained and the message put out by it.

I find that prophets posts in this thread are some of the most forward thinking I've seen on this forum (and pretty much more than on most other forums too) and what he says about parents "Bringing up children by numbers" rings true.

People want the easy way everytime - wether it is giving birth, looking after the children or sending working class children to fight in wars over property that they wish to control.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It stings me that you think I'm doing all this to appear smart amongst such geniuses such as you all. I am who I appear to be, I wear my monocle and fez only because they are quite comfortable. I can scarcely believe I actually put my pipe down, to even respond to such allegations.
I might not totally agree with your views, but I've got to applaud your literally musings. Well done, good sir.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?