Gaming Ocarina of Time 3DS footage

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Scott-105 said:
Anyway, this Zelda game is gonna awesome! I didn't really like the DS ones because of the touch screen controls. I played all the way through Phantom Hourglass, but I couldn't do it with Spirit Tracks.

I agree, I don't like the touch controls.. Now with the joystick, it's gonna be better
smile.gif

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't care about graphics power in terms of numbers, and pointless tech jargon, but I do care about the games. I only understand that Nintendo has consistantly produced high-quality games on their console, even if their competition had a more powerful system.

The 3DS will be the most powerful Nintendo handheld to date, so it can only be a good thing. I haven't played my PSP in a year and a half, because there arent any games that draw me to it. I play my DS Lite almost every day, because I'm addicted to more than 10 games for the handheld. I can say, however, that when I do boot up the PSP, it makes me realize how much more awesome the graphics are than the DS family, but it still doesn't hold my interest.

Nobody should waste time comparing the 3DS's processing power to that of the PSP, simply because Nintendo has never been threatened by other handhelds with superior specs (See Atari Lynx, Sega GameGear, NEC TurboExpress, Tiger Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and Sony PSP).

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohmy.gif
I kinda want to get a 3ds just for ocarina of time.

Do you think it'll be master quest or not? Maybe a rom will come out of master quest in 3d?
ohmy.gif

edracon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ask-martymcfly.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
The visual fidelity of 3DS games is quite varied. There are a lot of games with a lot of different kinds of graphics. Quality included. Here's a kind of guide based on my own perception-

-Zelda OOT 3DS- about Dreamcast/early PS2 level graphics (the Link model is actually comparable to his Melee one though), subject to intense change, very early version
-Kid Icarus Uprising- firmly in the Gamecube/Wii level
-Kingdom Hearts 3D- probably about GC/Wii level (models and environments comparable to the PS2 games, but far smoother and richer in detail
-Super Street Fighter 4 3D- Wii level in terms of polygon count, but with modern shaders comparable in visuals to those seen in the PS3/360/PC versions
-Resident Evil Revelations- Wii level in polygon count, but otherwise the game actually looks identical to Resident Evil 5, lighting/animation/textures/etc
-Metal Gear Solid 3D- about the same sort of judgment as RE:R. Wii level character models but details are similar to MGS4
-Nintendogs+Cats- here's where there's very little change from DS. Models look about the same, but smoother and higher resolution. Animals now have fur. Probably early Dreamcast level or a bit better
-Mario Kart 3D- looks about the same as the Gamecube or Wii version, so there's the answer
-Starfox 64 3D- about Gamecube level
-Animal Crossing 3D- hard to tell, these games always look similar, looks similar to the Wii version, but since they never push the systems very much, i'd say Dreamcast level...
-Paper Mario- very much the same as the GC/Wii PM games, they never pushed the systems hard though, probably about Dreamcast level if you consider that

I'd say there are no games on the system shown yet (at least no 3D games) that would work on a lesser system than the Dreamcast. All of the games shown are much smoother than PSP games as well and don't seem to suffer from the system's grainy and pixelated textures. We've had confirmation from big name developers that the system is about on par with the Wii graphically (Miyamoto). And some games can take advantage of shaders that exceed even that. But for all intents and purposes, the system has some games that really don't take much advantage of its true power. So that's why you might say it has PSP visuals when looking at only a single game. But there are games that push the system hard, just look at Resident Evil Revelations or Metal Gear Solid 3D. Both games are even better looking than Wii games.

I can't stress enough though that Zelda is VERY early in development. The game will most likely look far better when it releases. I think it would be foolish to say even at this stage though that it doesn't look any better than the N64 version (it does, i can give you reasons too).
If I remember correctly, in an interview with Kojima they stated that the 3DS Metal Gear demo was using PS3 models and textures for the characters. They also stated they could have done better graphics if they were given some more time.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 models is an exaggeration. He said the quality was about the same as their PS3 models, but the 3DS version is clearly not capable of polygon counts as high as a PS3 game. Geometrically, it's firmly rooted in the Wii generation. Textures and shading i'd agree on, but characters are much more jagged and you can clearly see their geometry sticking out more than the PS3 game.

It's something anyone can see too, MGS3D is amazing but the level of polygons used in the models just can't reach PS3 levels. Have a look...

MGS4-
http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/wp-content/...ear-solid-4.jpg

MGS3D-
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2010/...5_screen005.jpg

The models in MGS4 you can't easily tell where the edges of the geometry are. The geometry is so smooth and curved. The MGS3D models are far more noticeable. I could easily draw lines around the geometric outline as it stick out so much. The textures and shading 100% look as good as MGS4 though. When Kojima spoke, he was referring to approximately replicating the overall quality and detail of the models, not that they just swapped the models in and it came out look exactly like it did on PS3 (they may have used the models, but they needed to decrease the polygon count dramatically).

His exact quote-
"The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it’s tough to see this. If we’d had a bit more time, we could have made something better…"

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/44363/

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Masterpaul said:
40 MILLION AT 100 MHZ thats the 2008 version, they might be using an updated modified version that pushes the pollycount even higher.

Mobile phones are clocked at 1ghz at some have reasonably good batteries. The PSP can last 6 hours running 330 mhz, and sony never really, has been good at battery life.

This thing running at 100 mhz pushes more then the psp and gamecube. At 300 mhz it pushes more then xbox and wii. Its really powerfull.

I got a feeling nintendo might be using this company in the next home console.
Stupid statement.

I'd like to see my iPhone, or any other smartphone lasting 6 hours of gaming.

D

Deleted_171835

foob said:
I've never played this game.
You haven't played Ocarina of Time!
ohmy.gif

You should try it on the Wii's Virtual Console, if you own a Wii.

Or you could wait for the 3DS's release to experience the game with 3D visuals.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of Time is truly one of the best games ever made, but I can't excited about playing it for the millionth time. I played it twice on N64, then played it again on the GameCube limited edition "pre-order" disc. I've played this game so many times, that unless the 3D effects, and graphics overhaul make it a brand new experience, I can't get too excited about it's announcement.

If they announced Mario 64 3DS, would you be excited? This is how I feel, even though I love the aforementioned game (Zelda: OoT).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never completed OOT. In fact, i've never gotten very far period. I started playing it before E3 via emulator and was about to get into it and try to conquer it finally. I'm contemplating whether to beat it or just wait for the 3DS version. I think i'll do the latter.

At any rate though, the makers confirmed that it was a full on remake/reimagining as they call it. They're apparently adding new gameplay elements, probably new dungeons. They're at least probably going to redesign some of the dungeons or add new parts.

And for me, Mario 64 DS felt fresh even for me, someone who grew up with and beat Mario 64 many times. There were 3 new playable characters (who all play differently control and physics wise as well as have their own moves and abilities), new stars (and new KINDS of star collections), and even some new levels. Of course the graphics were cleaner as well when you view it on a small screen. It felt considerably different than the original. It would have been an excellent remake had it not been for the controls... I don't know if i'd feel the same with a 3DS remake. But it would be neat playing the game with Gamecube/Wii level graphics and a true analog nub. I'd probably play it again and love it. Not sure if i'd buy it though (i bought Mario 64 and the DS remake).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing you guys have to remember about any 3DS games you see right now.....they are just first generation games for the 3DS. The PSP has been around how long now? The first-gen 3DS games are looking as good as anything the PSP can do, and in some cases better, especially if you are basing your comparison on first-gen PSP games, instead of comparing current PSP games to these 3DS demos, which isn't a fair comparison.

Boot up your DS and/or PSP and run....hmm.....let's say the first 50 releases or so for it, then compare it to the general graphics quality of games made for those systems now (shovelware doesn't count), you will notice that the quality of the graphics has improved since the early years for both systems. This is a natural occurrence as developers get a handle on the system's abilities, learn the tricks of the system and updated SDK's get released.

The graphics WILL improve over the years on the 3DS too, and look how nice they are already.

So, when people compare current PSP games to these launch demos for the 3DS (which aren't even finished products yet), they need to keep in mind that graphics will only improve as time goes by for 3DS. 3DS already looks like it has better graphics capability compared to first-gen PSP games. There is also the fact that 3DS doubles the image to create the 3D illusion. It takes even more power to do that.

Now, I'm not saying the PSP is a bad system, not at all, I'm saying that you all need to wait until you have the 3DS in your hands before you start making comparisons. And you need to go back to the same generation of games for each respective system to get a true perception of graphics quality. That means comparing first-gen PSP games to the first-gen 3ds games, not current-gen PSP against first-gen 3DS. That's an unfair comparison, regardless of which system you actually prefer.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Agreed, but that shouldn't stop me being excited when I see the hardware capabilities of the 3DS.

I'm a retro gamer. I don't judge by graphics.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShatteredScreens said:
Masterpaul said:
40 MILLION AT 100 MHZ thats the 2008 version, they might be using an updated modified version that pushes the pollycount even higher.

Mobile phones are clocked at 1ghz at some have reasonably good batteries. The PSP can last 6 hours running 330 mhz, and sony never really, has been good at battery life.

This thing running at 100 mhz pushes more then the psp and gamecube. At 300 mhz it pushes more then xbox and wii. Its really powerfull.

I got a feeling nintendo might be using this company in the next home console.
Stupid statement.

I'd like to see my iPhone, or any other smartphone lasting 6 hours of gaming.

I still had over half of my battery life after playing a combination of Brick Breaker and that fancy GBC emulator on my Black Berry Curve after 5 hours. Not exactly taxing, but it can be done. Didn't go for 6 hours, but seeing as I had more than 50 percent of my battery life after 5 hours, I'm more than positive that it could last more.

Also, awesome, albeit short footage. Can't wait to see more.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Windaga said:
I still had over half of my battery life after playing a combination of Brick Breaker and that fancy GBC emulator on my Black Berry Curve after 5 hours. Not exactly taxing, but it can be done. Didn't go for 6 hours, but seeing as I had more than 50 percent of my battery life after 5 hours, I'm more than positive that it could last more.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_curve_8310-2050.php
One 2.5 inch screen with no 3G (3G is far more battery heavy than GSM). I guess it is possible on some devices and on simpler games, but it's not the norm for the average gamer on a smartphone these days; there's just too much going on on most phones - and many like the larger screens (which don't last long on the battery at all, quite apart from gaming).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"