Hardware O3DS XL Soft Brick

NotHere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there. I am writing about an experience that I just had on an O3DS that I bootNTR CFW. Everything was perfect, everything worked great; then it SOFT BRICKED.

This is what I did......

After finishing and testing everything, I went to Settings > Internet Options > Connection #3, DELETED. Clicked on back, back, then EXIT. As it was exiting, before it got to the home screen (the black screens still showing) I closed the 3DS flap. Next time I opened, it was black and nothing happened. Hard shut down and turned it back on and nothing. So, this is a brick?

Searched online and found out how to go into recovery, went in, "updated" (was already at latest update) and the system turned off. Turned it back on and it turned on.

So, anyone knows why it soft bricked? Was it even that?

Just wanted to share this in case anyone has heard of it and if there is a fix for something like this maybe in the future (its probably rare and random, but I wanted to share it anyway).

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After finishing and testing everything,
vague statement there (explain "testing")
I went to Settings > Internet Options > Connection #3, DELETED. Clicked on back, back, then EXIT. As it was exiting, before it got to the home screen (the black screens still showing) I closed the 3DS flap. Next time I opened, it was black and nothing happened. Hard shut down and turned it back on and nothing
something is missing here . . . i am not gonna argue but i have been assisting for a long time now and thats not how that works
So, this is a brick?
software wise possibly . . .
1. what happens with the power light and backlight (respectively) when you power on (and do you hear anything upon boot or shutdown)
2. power down hold select and power on . . . do you get godmode9
3. did you try without the sd card

Last edited by wormdood,

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always try booting to gm9. If you can get into gm9 then you could try restoring a backup... Or alternatively;
Another good step is to try a different clean SD card and redownload cfw files and see if it is a problem with your current address. Perhaps a file got corrupted.

NotHere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vague statement there (explain "testing")
something is missing here . . . i am not gonna argue but i have been assisting for a long time now and thats not how that works
software wise possibly . . .
1. what happens with the power light and backlight (respectively) when you power on (and do you hear anything upon boot or shutdown)

No clue how to do these multiple quotes like you.. SO this is the best I can do.

1. "vague statement there (explain "testing")"
-What I mean is, it was working. The system turned OFF, powered ON. All games I had in the system worked. HBC was working and so were homebrew applications. So, in my eyes, all is working.

2. something is missing here . . . i am not gonna argue but i have been assisting for a long time now and thats not how that works
-How what works? I don't know all the steps from the settings screen but what I mean is... I went to settings, internet connections, deleted connection #3 (all my connections are full, I just wanted to delete a connection and that's the one I deleted), clicked back or exit or whatever the keys are to go back to the home screen, and before it showed the home screen, when the screen goes black, I closed the 3DS (as in a put the flap down, like a sandwich). Came back to it 6 minutes later, opened the 3ds, and all was black. Held down the power button to turn it off, turned it back on and still black. Yes, I was able to go into GM9 without issues, but once I exited it, nothing would happen. Nothing would show on screen.

3.software wise possibly . . .

1. the power lights and LED lights all worked perfectly, but the backlight or the screen lights were black, nothing showered. I did not hear any noise as I booted.
2. I hold start, ( I think lol) and yes, GM9 worked perfectly.
3. I tried without and with a different, and nothing.

As I mentioned, I fixed it, but I wanted to share my experience see if it was something I did or a bug that may need to be fixed (if anyone cares or whatnot).

This is essentially in the wrong forum part -- what firmware was you on, CFW? If Luma, holding select on boot does it boot into the Luma config screen?

Not sure what forum to place it, so I decided this one fit the most, IMO. Also, I was on 11.6 CFW. I did not test LUma, but I did test GM9, and it was working perfectly.

You can always try booting to gm9. If you can get into gm9 then you could try restoring a backup... Or alternatively;
Another good step is to try a different clean SD card and redownload cfw files and see if it is a problem with your current address. Perhaps a file got corrupted.

Of course me, I didnt make a backup :( idiot, I know. And I tried different cards, and no cards, nothing worked.

But again, the issue was solved by going into recovery mode, doing the steps there, and everything worked again.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned, I fixed it,
not exactly what you said was
Searched online and found out how to go into recovery, went in, "updated" (was already at latest update) and the system turned off. Turned it back on and it turned on.
. . . it always turned on but the confusion was did it boot up . . . as you left that to speculation i assumed you were in need of help (thats the way it reads at least)
No clue how to do these multiple quotes like you.. SO this is the best I can do.
highlight the line(s) of text you want to quote and when you do a little add to multi-quote button will appear

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2017.10.20_13h56m07s_003_.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.10.20_13h56m07s_003_.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 165

NotHere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad, I thought I had mentioned I fixed the issue. I just wanted to share what had happened to me is all :).

Thanks for the quote info also :).

I will reproduce the issue again later and get back here with more results.

Thanks, all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse