Hardware O3DS non-XL not turning off the 3D mode?

Derfderk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Up the 2nd left turn after your good mom's home.
XP
Country
Brazil
With the slider all the way down it essentially stucks to the lowest 3D "volume", but moving the lid makes it come into the 2D mode at some points outside of the rest positions so, yeah, there's probably some hardware loose or failing.

Any idea on how to theoretically fix this? Is there any tut or guide on how to carefully proceed with opening the thing's guts and search for the culprit? Can't exactly send it off to Ninty as I'm not even in a country where they operate officially and having someone fix this is probably gonna come off with a cost-benefit worse than buying a brand new, sealed in the box one (fuck you Brazil, love ya).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There's probably something physically wrong with the slider (out of alignment or a piece broke off somehow) that should be fixable if you can get it open. Might have to solder in a new slider though.
Hopefully you don't have to disassemble the entire thing to get at the innards of the top shell. There are a lot of parts and tiny ribbon cables.

Derfderk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@The Real Jdbye
Probably a ribbon cable got loose, the 3DS is literally stuck in eternal 3D mode save for certain points of a midway open lid.

Here's a pic of the thing at the most noticeable point possible where the 3D should be obligatorily turned off, the rxTools screen with the MSET crash screen displayed as if they were meant to be 3D together. Enjoy the weirdness.
dfdfcd4ad6237b05adde1b45cde20863.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@The Real Jdbye
Probably a ribbon cable got loose, the 3DS is literally stuck in eternal 3D mode save for certain points of a midway open lid.

Here's a pic of the thing at the most noticeable point possible where the 3D should be obligatorily turned off, the rxTools screen with the MSET crash screen displayed as if they were meant to be 3D together. Enjoy the weirdness.
dfdfcd4ad6237b05adde1b45cde20863.jpg
Oh, I see what you mean now. That definitely doesn't look like an issue with the slider.
Could be the ribbon cable, but it could also be something more serious. Worst case scenario you will have to replace the screen.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the console goes in and out of 2D mode depending on the position of the hinge, then the speaker cable might be damaged. It's this part. Here's a guide to replace it, but honestly it might just be easier to buy a 3DS with a bad motherboard but good screens, speakers, and housing and then swap your own motherboard into it. The thing the guide fails to mention is that it's impossible to do this repair without getting some specks of dust or lint on the inside of the display lens. You can drive yourself mad trying to remove every little bit of dust before sealing the thing up after you're done with the repair itself.

ll0rT

Trophies
XP
Country
You may want disable 3D mode in parental controls for a temporary solution until you actually fix it.

Derfderk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Welp, stamp stupid across my forehead and make that my name, can't believe I forgot Parental Controls had actually useful stuff. @ll0rT's suggestion may very well even end up being my permanent solution as the thing was rarely used outside of 2D or full 3D modes.

Anyway, thanks for the solution and indicating that a loose ribbon cable may become a more significant nuisance in the future, will ponder replacing this now defective O3DS in the near future if I find myself able to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.