Hardware o3ds black screen - homemenu shows, but stuck, recovery works, but didn't fix

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
So, I got this 3dsxl somewhere,

it powers on but has no display - Black Screen, when I press the POWER button, it shows the screen where I can turn of 3DS, when I press home, it shows the loading home screen but will stay there forever.

The recovery mode works (L+R+U+A), I tried updating through this earlier (the update finished after several retries) but issue is still the same,

When I retry the update now, the 3ds says the fw is currently the latest. (the 3ds is JAP so I had someone translate the text for me)

any thoughts what could my next steps be?
I'm guessing this 3ds is already updated to 10.7
so I can't re-run the update (w/c didn't fix the problem)

maybe I will try and wait for the 10.8 update to come out pray that maybe it will fix the problem?

this is a virgin 3ds and I have not done any cfw mod so far,

so far what I've done is dump the nand (10.7), (i sure hoped I tried to dump prior to the update gah so I can retry and retry till it is resolved).

My theory are as follows:
1. Corrupted emmc/bad sectors maybe due to Electro Static Discharge or something / lifted bga?,
2. used up read/write emmc cycles. (I tried re-writing back the nand in hope of fixing it or overwriting the broken sectors but no sugar)

Is there anything I can do to mess up with the nand backup I created on PC to maybe try to make it work? (like unbrick bat on the otp guide, maybe there's nothing I can do to mess it up since I don't have fat16 xorpads to decrypt the nand/*on the contrary, I recall that there are tools available in messing up with emunand before even if they are encrypted when setting up palatine cfw's, so maybe some work can be done on the nand backup even without the xorpads?)

let me know your thoughts.

thanks

lrz

Last edited by leerz, , Reason: cleaned

mammastuffing

Trophies
XP
Country
If I'm not mistaken, corrupt sectors return arbitrary values when reading but will not be able to be read again. Next read will give an error when reading though. So I was thinking that comparing two dumps in something like HxD it might give a hint of a corrupt nand.

I'm guessing you've already tried removing variables like the SD-card already?

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
If I'm not mistaken, corrupt sectors return arbitrary values when reading but will not be able to be read again. Next read will give an error when reading though. So I was thinking that comparing two dumps in something like HxD it might give a hint of a corrupt nand.

I'm guessing you've already tried removing variables like the SD-card already?
yes, sd card is removed. removed IR module, removed wifi module (I tried to isolate by removing them one by one), same thing, I've yet to test if it connected to the 3d display, when i get my hands on another 3dsxl)

ok I will check my backup for the checksum.
do you know If there's a way to do a "force re-update" or something. gahhh, wish dumped prior to my first update attempt)

mitroux

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
i think either the home menu is corrupted or something wrong with the ticket?
according to a previous msg from gamequest ,he got the same problem on one of his 3dsxl with a corrupted home menu , he fixed it by flashing a nand backup
the only way i could think of is asking apachethubder to patch zelda to autoboot (like those demo kiosk game carts , then run decrypt9to generate ctr nand and fix the wrong files) , but i don't know if it's even possible to fix roms cheksum(assuming you will need a sky3ds to run the modified rom)

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Is it both screens or is the top screen just down?
both screens are working

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i think either the home menu is corrupted or something wrong with the ticket?
according to a previous msg from gamequest ,he got the same problem on one of his 3dsxl with a corrupted home menu , he fixed it by flashing a nand backup
the only way i could think of is asking apachethubder to patch zelda to autoboot (like those demo kiosk game carts , then run decrypt9to generate ctr nand and fix the wrong files) , but i don't know if it's even possible to fix roms cheksum(assuming you will need a sky3ds to run the modified rom)
Thanks, btw, Carts can AUTOBOOT? maybe I can setup the wifi via recovery, then load ninjhax then get HB to load and then trigger a DG ssu?
unfortunately for the nand backup thing, I have it, but it is in its current dead form.

what do you mean patched zelda? did you mean a oothax with patch (HACKED SAVE) and then make it autoboot? I hope that's what you are saying,
as for the d9 working, i highly doubt this since the system is currently 10.7, according to when I update via recovery.

Thanks for answering

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
both screens are working

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks, btw, Carts can AUTOBOOT? maybe I can setup the wifi via recovery, then load ninjhax then get HB to load and then trigger a DG ssu?
unfortunately for the nand backup thing, I have it, but it is in its current dead form.

what do you mean patched zelda? did you mean a oothax with patch (HACKED SAVE) and then make it autoboot? I hope that's what you are saying,
as for the d9 working, i highly doubt this since the system is currently 10.7, according to when I update via recovery.

Thanks for answering

I had a similar problem after I inserted the ribbon underneath the corner of the board incorrectly. The top screen would light up with no image. Bottom screen was perfect. I flipped the ribbon back the correct way. The console works fine now.

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I had a similar problem after I inserted the ribbon underneath the corner of the board incorrectly. The top screen would light up with no image. Bottom screen was perfect. I flipped the ribbon back the correct way. The console works fine now.
Hello, thank you for trying, however, I'm pretty sure the screens are plugged properly. there's display,

what happens is, the screen is just stuck on loading the home menu :)

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, thank you for trying, however, I'm pretty sure the screens are plugged properly. there's display,

what happens is, the screen is just stuck on loading the home menu :)

I know you've given a brief description in your original post. But can you describe what's exactly happening from start to finish?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head