Nvidia shield will run official Wii games... In China

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by amrod, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amrod
    OP

amrod GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2004
    Canada
  2. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    Apk's will be released shortly after and then someone can apply a translation patch or port some of the assets from the original games. Makes sense because the switch is just a downclocked shield.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Maybe buying two Switch's for homebrew was a mistake :P

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    How are they doing this? Ports? Or their own emulator?

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I got the same questions as @the_randomizer : the article really throws up more questions than that it answers.

-the video's could easily be fake. Them being HD doesn't say all that much, as both can be shot on the wiiu (the second one needs about 2 minutes in mario maker). Besides...that someone who has this first-of-the-world tech on their hands apparently still has one of the worst phone cameras in the world.
    -"they’ve been confirmed". Okay...by whom? Following what presentation? What are the guidelines? And if it's so confirmed, why isn't nintendo doing the announcement? It's not like it wouldn't be worthy of a nintendo direct
    -why just China? Yeah, it's a large, relatively untapped market in video games so it makes sense that they be the first ones (and IMHO rightfully so). But it doesn't take a genius to see that if the announcement comes with an "exclusive" tag, it's basically saying the same as "YOU do the translation for the rest of the world".
    -controls. I was under the assumption that nintendo was always wary of porting to other systems, partially because a game stands or falls with controls. And now they show two games where the quality will be seriously hampered because it has to rely on 3rd party controllers. Which brings me to the obvious critique of the video: they clearly didn't use touchscreen controls (or even a nvidia shield, for that matter). Did nintendo really bring over the game catering to "standard" xbox360 controllers?
    -and finally: is this a port or an emulator? I personally think the former: IMHO they're throwing out a couple of their star line-up to see if it sticks. With the nvidia shield being known to them due to the switch, backporting an older title shouldn't be too hard. It would also explain how both games can work without the game nagging for there not being a sensor bar around.

6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Kotaku isn't exactly known for posting strictly rumors. We'll see. This actually bodes well for various reasons.

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not gonna hold my breath lol, that's for sure.

8. tri_fin

tri_fin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    isn't this big news....

9. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Wow...
    If this is an emulator then this is big big big news
    Need to buy one quick before the price goes up like crazy

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.